• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

How does a 140 handle vs. a 240?

A

Anonymous

I've got a couple of project car options and ideas and one of them involves the clean 142 sitting in my garage. Its been about 10 years since I've driven a 140 and that was about as tired as they get so.....

Comparing a 142 and a 242 or 244 both with:
Quality shocks (Boge, Bilstein ect)
Sways (IPD)
15-25% stiffer variable rate spings (front and rear)
newish bushings ect
something like 205/55/16 tires on 7-7.5 in rims.

How will the 140 do? I'd really like to play with a 140 but not if the handling is always going to be second rate.

Any opinions? (oh, I slay me)

Dan

I can give you an honest opinion. I've got a 142 with IPD bars and springs. I'm not sure what shocks but I don't think they're anything fancy. My 142 handles better than my 245 with 28/25 bars and upper and lower braces. The 142 is lighter and seems to corner flatter. The wagon seems top heavy compared to the 142 and that's no surprise, it is quite a bit heavier at the roofline. Although the 245 is way faster I just find the 142 is much more fun to drive...

Thanks for the input. I plan on putting some type of OHC Volvo engine into the 140. B21FT or B23FT most likely so it should be pretty quick as these things go. Maybe a B23E spec.....

I'm pretty happy with the way my 245 turbo handles with IPD bar, overload coils in the back and 20% stiffer progressive springs in the front. I've got KYB select-a-ride struts right now and they are a blast. Talk about flat cornering! I do wish it was a sedan tho....one of us has to go on a diet.

Rough plans for the 142 are to lighten it as much as possible over the winter without removing creature comforts (like a blower fan) and adding an OHC engine and M46 trans. That and a general sprucing up of the suspension should make it a pretty fun ride.

Dan

The 140s definitely handle better than the 240s. Macpherson struts were nothing but hype. You'll notice all the performance car companies are now bragging that their cars have double wishbone front suspension. Well, that is just another name for that double A-arm front suspension your 140 has. I would put the money into the 140. Not only will it out handle the 240, they look much cooler. If you decide not to fix up the 140, I'll do you a big favor and tow it away for free. :D

"If you decide not to fix up the 140, I'll do you a big favor and tow it away for free. "

Actually I've got a 144 in the driveway with a solid body if anyone wants it. Thats solid by central New York standards. Its got a trans (M410 I think, or maybe an M41) but no engine...and I think I'm going to have to take that LSD out of it too. (the one in the differential) I'm also keeping the fenders for the 142 but swapping the 142 ones back. The 142 is a '71 with those huge box turn signals so I'm taking the older/sleeker ones from the 144. ('69 I think) That and some 242 doors and mirrors and I'm good to go. :)
But its in pretty good shape as far as doors/rockers/rear quarters...

yeah ... if only the 140 had a rack and pinion I would still have mine.

If you want to keep it light stray away from 242 doors, sure they bolt right in but weigh them side by side before you make the descision, the 71 will have side intrusion bars but will be significantly lighter (upper is aluminum) has no weak point for weld to break on (or is this just me and other Oregon guy's cars?)
142's are the BOMB, screw rack and pinion, get a 122 box and that's a quicker ratio and then go work out, you'll be fine!
Lates
Sean

Hey,

Not just an Oregon problem...I'm in VA and my weld from the door to the frame of the window part cracked and now my door is "Floppy" Later, Jon

2manyvolvos said:
Hey,

Not just an Oregon problem...I'm in VA and my weld from the door to the frame of the window part cracked and now my door is "Floppy" Later, Jon

2manyvolvos huh? And you're in VA? Want to part with a 142? I can't find one anywhere near here! A guy here in Blacksburg has one, I keep hounding him, he won't sell :cry:

The 242 doors are mostly a styling statement. I want the flush door handles and late ('86 up?) manual mirrors on the outside and 242 style door handle and pocket on the inside....tho the door pocket may just get left of.

I've also been pondering fitting a steering rack in place of the box. Well not in place exactly but you know what I mean. I'm going to have the whole dash out to be replaced by the one from my '83 245 T donor car so I'm going to see if I can find a way to use the 240 steering column and a 240 manual rack, or maybe one from a pinto or something.

Where is the weight savings? Well, I don't know how much I'll end up saving in the long run but I'm going to lose the PS, AC and clutch type fan from the engine plus all the OE carpet and padding. This I'll raplace with newer materials for insulation and the only real padding in the footwells. The front seats are going out in favor of an older set of Recaros and I was think about replacing the rear bench with Recaro like seats from a VW Golf GTi. I've trial fitted those and with some work to trim out the open areas between and next to the seats it should be sharp.

I've been thinking on this little beastie for most of the summer so I've had some time to think about options and take measurements...it was only a couple of days ago that I thought about how it might handle vs. a 240. Glad to hear it should be better!

Dan

I guess its about time to join the board.

I have a set of '86 up manual mirrors I bought on ebay a while back if you want them, they're in nice condition, I just didn't feel like going through the trouble with putting them on the wagon.

V8BRICK said:
I have a set of '86 up manual mirrors I bought on ebay a while back if you want them, they're in nice condition, I just didn't feel like going through the trouble with putting them on the wagon.

Thanks but I've got a couple of junkyard sets. You really should put them on the wagon tho.... Its an easy job, maybe 15 mintues total and they look pretty sharp. Not that I've taken the time to replace the ones on my '83 wagon but then again it's looking like a donor car these days.

Dan

I actually took the mirrors off my '87 240 to install an older style manual mirror. I like how it looks seperate from the car, and I think it's a little smaller. I removed the passengers side completely and replaced it with a blank plate from an '82 DL.

[quote:aa557aeeb8]If you want to keep it light stray away from 242 doors, sure they bolt right in but weigh them side by side before you make the descision, the 71 will have side intrusion bars but will be significantly lighter (upper is aluminum)[/quote:aa557aeeb8]

Huh...interesting. So, I could, in theory, mount 140 doors on my 240? Granted, you've hafta change the latch assemblies if it's '78 or later, but if it works, lighter is lighter, eh?

Struts aren't entirely useless, they generally offer less unsprung weight, sometimes better turning, and are more compact. Since your engines are inline compared to a V this isn't a big deal. Double wishbones are a little of a compromise, but the strut is not crap. Granted they are harder to adjust, but they aren't useless, that is about the only difference between 240 and 140. Some say the 240 track is a tiny bit wider then the 140, but overall they will handle about the same, the 140 is more enjoyable to drive because it is lighter, and ofen isn't cripped by emmissions stuff or rev limiters. I like the 240 look a litle better, but it ispretty much a tossup.

Back