• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

My 92' 240 is getting REALLY bad gas mileage.

adkinsnoob

I recently purchased a 1992 240 wagon with 215k miles from a highly-rated Volvo dealership. After driving for two weeks, I noticed that the fuel gauge enters the red area after about 120 miles of driving. According to multiple online sources, my 240 should be averaging 24 mpg, and as of right now, according to my gas gauge, I'm getting around 10 mpg. The car has no leaks, the oil is new, and it was well maintained and serviced by the previous owner. Any insight on what's wrong with my car?

Check coolant temp sensor, O2 sensor, and air mass meter.

Are there any performance issues?

First of all, figure out exactly how much fuel it's using.

I recommend www.fuelly.com , you simply record your odometer reading and how much fuel you put in, and make sure to always fill the tank to the top.

Does the amount of miles you're driving seem accurate? I found that my odometer and trip meter were not working intermittently. They only work about 75% of the time, sometimes I notice the numbers don't move for about half of my drive to work.

And of course, pull the vacuum hose off the fuel pressure regulator and see if any gas dribbles out (off) or squirts out (running).

fuel%20pressure%20regulator.jpg

I have 365,XXX on my 245 and I get 25-26 highway mpg. my mass air meter crapped out, i put new plug wires on it and a new air filter and now I get 26-28 highway mpg. Its weird that a lot of people are getting so low of numbers...

I get over 20 on the highway on my '87 244 but it drops to around 12 in city traffic due to the congestion on San Francisco streets. It's a heavy car and takes a lot of gas to get moving when every other block seems to be a stop sign.

I get similar gas mileage on my sedan, O2 sensor wire was somehow cut. On my 240 wagon I get roughly 22.5-23 mpg a tank. AW70, lots of highway, lots of hills. I would just check the diagnostic computer and see what codes you're pulling.

Back