home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > General > showroom

Old 12-18-2009, 10:31 AM   #51
UberFisch
Board Member

Location: Dirty Water, Connecticut, United States of America, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

Holy crap, that thing is farggin crazy!!!
Old 12-18-2009, 11:38 AM   #52
760Tx2
Board Member

looks like it has a header on it. What's going on with the radiator?
760Tx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 12:42 PM   #53
colgate41
Board Member

The original radiator had a leak i was told. It needs to be re-sodderd and or completely re built? If thats posable? The PO rigged up a working radiator in front of the orginal one and just ran some hoses. Seemed to cool it fine on the drive home, then again it is winter. Its a little leaky but it works. He said during the summer whne sitting in traffic, it wanted to get hot because the original radiator was kinda in the way.

So what i would like to do is, either find a 544 radiator and just drop it in or find something that will cool the car good and see if i can just make it fit. Also, i was going to see if i could put a bigger fan on to help cooling. I was wondering if the B20 motors came with a fan shroud? I know they are important in terms of directing air flow. Im kinda anal about cooling because i used to have so many cars overheat on me and it kinda scared me straight in terms of getting the cooling system working good.

I could have just told you that the original radiator ran on magic dust.
Old 12-18-2009, 12:46 PM   #54
colgate41
Board Member

Here are a few more photos my co-owner took of the car on the way home.

colgate41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 12:55 PM   #55
Rotary_Kid
Board Member

No air cleaners on those carbs?
1998 s70 Turbo Dead
1993 850 N/A Five speed bone stock and staying that way, three cheers for gas mileage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainLeah View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by coonmanx View Post
Slapped one of those cloth shop towels over the hole and made it home.
A girls gotta do what a girls gotta do.
Rotary_Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 01:05 PM   #56
Prime240
240 addict

I love this car!
Old 12-18-2009, 01:13 PM   #57
Redwood Chair
K-jet For Life

Get the original radiator recored.

Image hosted by servimg.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiperfauto View Post
Folks on here don't know a good deal when they see it.
how psi stock cna support?

Redwood Chair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 01:17 PM   #58
colgate41
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwood Chair View Post
Get the original radiator recored.
So you can get it done! Any advice on a good shop or mail off too kinda place? Fair prices?
Old 12-18-2009, 06:34 PM   #59
colgate41
Board Member

Hey guys, seeing as i know nothing about carbs, could anyone suggest a good book to learn/maintain them? Volvo based would be nice. The Motor is B20, i see IPD has some carb books. Reviews?
Old 12-18-2009, 06:48 PM   #60
GrandmaSideways
AW71AW71AW71 AW71AW71AW71

Talk to Jim Morris. He had great advice that got me started. I'm by no means a carb expert but his advice gave me he confidence to attack them a little and I did tune them a bit before I sold the 142S
GrandmaSideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 09:15 PM   #61
Mr. Jud
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by colgate41 View Post
Hey guys, seeing as i know nothing about carbs, could anyone suggest a good book to learn/maintain them? Volvo based would be nice. The Motor is B20, i see IPD has some carb books. Reviews?
Not sure about a volvo specific book just for the SU's, but look for "SU tuning and tips". Been a great reference for me so far. It has a blue cover, there are usually a few copies floating around e-bay.

You might want a look for the little tool kit for SU's on ebay as well, as well as a flow meter for balancing the carbs. The tools aren't completely necessary, but it's a hell of a lot easier with them than without
Mr. Jud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 09:58 PM   #62
GrandmaSideways
AW71AW71AW71 AW71AW71AW71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jud View Post
Not sure about a volvo specific book just for the SU's, but look for "SU tuning and tips". Been a great reference for me so far. It has a blue cover, there are usually a few copies floating around e-bay.

You might want a look for the little tool kit for SU's on ebay as well, as well as a flow meter for balancing the carbs. The tools aren't completely necessary, but it's a hell of a lot easier with them than without
Yes! Been here done that! They're wor buying if you intend to keep the carbs and don't know someone with the tool!
GrandmaSideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 10:24 PM   #63
orie
Doctor Who

That is an awesome score and a damn nice ride. Looks like minimal rust. I love the mini-ceramic fuse, not to mention all the other little things it has going on. It's obviously seen a good life, and hopefully more to come! Let the b20 be, its found its home.

Hefty, rear-wheel-drive, and comfortable, the 700- and 900-series wagons were essentially an evolution of the 265 philosophy. Fun, boxy, fast, boxy, and fun. More right angles than a box full of right angles.

BrickSpeed forums!
orie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 10:28 PM   #64
Redwood Chair
K-jet For Life

Quote:
So you can get it done! Any advice on a good shop or mail off too kinda place? Fair prices?
Ask around your local shops for a good radiator place.
Never trust a radiator guy under 50 years old
Should be @$250 +/- $50

Quote:
Find an SU book & Post on Brickboard the vintage guys there know carbs.
Old 12-19-2009, 11:13 AM   #65
colgate41
Board Member

Thanks guys. In search of a good SU book now.
Old 12-19-2009, 11:51 AM   #66
malloy1
Board Member

Everything you'll need to know about PVs can be found over on the 444-544 brickboard forum:

http://www.brickboard.com/RWD/?model=444-544

You can go to Vclassics, it's a dead forum (hopefully will never be taken down), but has a lot of good info in the tech achives:

http://vclassics.com/archive/index.html

Engines and some of the basic info are shared with the 122s, and there is a site that has all the factory manuals (greenbooks) and parts catalogues (I usually use just the parts catalogues because they show exploded views of how things are put together) for the 122s (left side of the page, click on "Documents"):

http://www.volvoamazonpictures.se/

I can shoot you a copy of the 544s greenbooks and parts manual.

Paul

Great car btw.
malloy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 12:04 PM   #67
chirish1234
Board Member

Quote:
The original radiator had a leak i was told. It needs to be re-sodderd and or completely re built? If thats posable? The PO rigged up a working radiator in front of the orginal one and just ran some hoses. Seemed to cool it fine on the drive home, then again it is winter. Its a little leaky but it works. He said during the summer whne sitting in traffic, it wanted to get hot because the original radiator was kinda in the way.

So what i would like to do is, either find a 544 radiator and just drop it in or find something that will cool the car good and see if i can just make it fit. Also, i was going to see if i could put a bigger fan on to help cooling. I was wondering if the B20 motors came with a fan shroud? I know they are important in terms of directing air flow. Im kinda anal about cooling because i used to have so many cars overheat on me and it kinda scared me straight in terms of getting the cooling system working good.

I could have just told you that the original radiator ran on magic dust.
Hey, I have a good radiator on the 140 I am parting. It has a b20 motor also. Looks to be the same one.

1989 Volvo 245-GO FAST DRIFT CAR!
1988 Volvo 245/ B230FT, 16T @ 13PSI, G80, M46+Craving boost short shifter, Battery relocation, 15x7 ARES, Ecodes, Euro front end, 25/21 sways, too much to list Sold
1971 Volvo 144/ project

CoconutLeah:~Hes not afraid to hang out the window with a camera while passing you on the right at 70mph
chirish1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 12:05 PM   #68
colgate41
Board Member

Paul...thanks for the tips! Just getting the car and not knowing all that much about it is a bit overwhelming at first. Same way i felt when i first got my 744t many years ago. All this info will help and ill take the cold winter months to do more reading then fixing. Thanks so much, this all helps!
Old 12-19-2009, 12:05 PM   #69
RedLine T5R
Well Washed Elitist

This car is so full of win, it's not even funny. awesomeness around. congrats on a wonderfully epic purchase.
RedLine T5R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 06:41 PM   #70
klr142
Turbo, what?

WOW! YIKES! AMAZING! All at the same time. That thing is nuts! Haha, do it right, clean some of that stuff up and take care of it. Definitely cool.
klr142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 06:58 PM   #71
amerbritcan
Hnnnnnng

in case you hadn't figured it out yet from other posts, you have twin SU's. this is a good setup and will provide enough fuel and air to the car. I'd get some air cleaners for it though. They can be had for fairly decent money. I still can't believe how awesome a find that is. Also, don't know if you were aware or not, but that is absolutely NOT the stock guage cluster. stock guages have a horizontal ribbon style spedometer and fuel, and temp guages all as one piece.

EDIT: forgot to add that the front bumper is also not original, but looks great, adds to the theme of the car, and I'd keep it personally.
1967 220 amazon station wagon.
1990 244GL M47 summer DD project.
Quote:
Originally Posted by charles850t View Post
I fart and Reese Witherspoon falls out of my ass.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhengisKhan View Post
I'm just a cum guzzler and I can't help myself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by My Mom
Get a bike
Honestly I've not been to www.brickspeed.net in years so I have no idea why it's still in my sig
Poopie scissors
amerbritcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 01:20 PM   #72
Redwood Chair
K-jet For Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by chirish1234 View Post
Hey, I have a good radiator on the 140 I am parting. It has a b20 motor also. Looks to be the same one.

Look again.
Old 12-20-2009, 02:18 PM   #73
klr142
Turbo, what?

Lol.
klr142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 02:45 PM   #74
robsvolvos
Board Member

Looks like a fun project! Good thing that the B20 was dropped in there, as it originally had a B16 which is a pig. The B20 is a great engine for this car. I rebuilt one and put it in mine (see pic below) and it really flies. If you do the math, the B20 puts out 118 HP in stock form in a car that's about 2200 pounds. You'll blow away any normally aspirated stock 240 out there, and you'll surprise some stock Civics too You can get your rad re-cored, but add in a 5 blade fan (as in the picture) from a later 122s. The cooling will be just fine with that setup. A 140 rad will not fit because it is an early 544 with the hood hinging internally instead of externally like the newer cars.

Judging by the ID tag, the car was red like mine and this is what your interior would have looked like in 1960.

If you need any advice or technical help with this car, please feel free to e-mail me at rob544(at)sympatico (dot)ca

Good luck with your car. You'll find that as you sort things out, it is an amazing car to drive. It's surprisingly quick and very easy to throw around.

Rob
robsvolvos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 05:53 PM   #75
Rockmonton
Board Member

hey rob, where abouts in canada are you?

there seems to be an awful lot of PV's up north here.
Rockmonton is offline   Reply With Quote