Old 09-11-2010, 10:03 PM   #51
Lynn780
Board Member

trade for a 780??
Lynn780 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 06:04 PM   #52
amerbritcan
Hnnnnnng

whoa whoa whoa really? I'mma go look for a build thread for your car...
1967 220 amazon station wagon.
1990 244GL M47 summer DD project.
Quote:
Originally Posted by charles850t View Post
I fart and Reese Witherspoon falls out of my ass.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhengisKhan View Post
I'm just a cum guzzler and I can't help myself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by My Mom
Get a bike
Honestly I've not been to www.brickspeed.net in years so I have no idea why it's still in my sig
Poopie scissors
amerbritcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 07:35 AM   #53
wingnutty
Board Member

any updates or is it winter project season there yet?
wingnutty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 10:46 PM   #54
amerbritcan
Hnnnnnng

The Car desperately needs new rear brakes, metal on metal grinding that can be heard at over 50 mph on gravel roads. Over an open DP exhaust.

on the subject of open DP exhausts, the Car reminded me today just how freaking awesome a redblock sounds when it's carb'd and has an open DP. yummmmmmmmmm. complete with road-illuminating backfires.

Tomorrow Bonerjams240GL is coming over and we're doing a big bodywork push on what I can only assume will be mostly my car, because his car's gorgeous. But then again, he's in a mind to keep it that way.
Old 12-08-2010, 06:05 PM   #55
amerbritcan
Hnnnnnng

I bought a pair of rear springs off of towery recently, they're still sitting at Jen's. I'm in the market for wheels, looking to spend <$1000 CDN for 16" or bigger, hopefully incl tires.

EDIT: rear brakes are fixed, FCP
Old 12-12-2010, 08:46 PM   #56
amerbritcan
Hnnnnnng

January/february will be big for the car. plans are;

Pull the non-AC PS pump bracket off of the 244 for MrSam
93 850 front airdam, test fit install, sanded down, painted, installed
new fog lights installed in 850 airdam
install the big tach I've had for ages
install rear springs bought from towery (stiffer and lower than iPd rear springs), along with an adjustable panhard bar, not yet purchased. possibly adjustable trailing arms too if need be
polish my virgos, hopefully buy 16" or bigger wheels for the car. if not, get new rubber for the virgos before I put them back on.
fix my crooked headlight
fix my exhaust
look at the s tance of the car and if it's squatting after the install of the rear springs, lower the front more somehow. RAKE
possibly get new rear shocks (again)-the summit racing ones Jerd's currently testing. if his test proves well by jan/feb, I'll test 'em out.
swap the rebuilt carb on from the 244
clean the interior
fix my broken glovebox
install speakers-either the 4" panasonics I have in the PV, or ones scrounged from the 244. I am getting so sick of the stereo(or really mono). Might build boxes for the rear shelf and put in 6x9's or the 6.5" pioneers I have in the PV.
have another go at hooking up some/all of the triple gauge pod that's currently just filling the hole in the dash
more bodywork

other things, less priority, budget permitting:
boxing the control arms and A arms
installing poly bushings front and rear
thicker rear bar. The Aussies keep teasing me with mention of 30mm bars, or i might find a deal on a 25mm iPd unit. if I get a 30mm one from one of the teasing aussies, I'll obviously get a thicker one for the front too. 30mm rear bar + stock turbo front bar? lol yeah don't think so.

That's all I can think of for now, I'll try to remember to document some of this work.

So, anyone have a set of really rough Geminis they want to sell me for cheap? other RWD wheels, 16" +? I'd prefer rough and cheap to nice and pricey
Old 12-12-2010, 10:59 PM   #57
gear whine
advocate of k-jet

you want a set of hydras?
For Life.
gear whine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 11:19 PM   #58
towerymt
the real Towery

Quote:
Originally Posted by amerbritcan View Post
I bought a pair of rear springs off of towery recently, they're still sitting at Jen's. I'm in the market for wheels, looking to spend <$1000 CDN for 16" or bigger, hopefully incl tires.
How about some Corvette wheels??? 16x8.5 front, 16x9.5 rear.
towerymt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 12:19 AM   #59
Crazychopstick
(/// _ - )

Location: Receiving Transmission from David Bowie nipple antenna

Quote:
Originally Posted by towerymt View Post
And your adapters?
Crazychopstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 12:20 AM   #60
amerbritcan
Hnnnnnng

Quote:
Originally Posted by gear whine View Post
you want a set of hydras?
Price? rubber? details?

Quote:
Originally Posted by towerymt View Post
price? rubber? details? also, I'm going to assume they'd need adapters that they don't come with? I'm hoping to get wheels & tires on the car for less than a grand all out. I don't have the full grand at this time, and the plan was to be able to have the set up before the snow melts in late march/early april.

PMs inbound to the both of you.

EDIT: lol chopstick beating me to it
Old 12-13-2010, 01:04 AM   #61
amerbritcan
Hnnnnnng

My project thread has never seen this much action, I'm stunned. Also, I figured I'd leave this here, just for documentation's sake:

Mileage is exactly 81 000kms as of midnight EST dec12th/13th 2010
Old 12-13-2010, 08:17 AM   #62
Prime240
240 addict

I am stil impressed you found this car in Québec....
Usually old 240'S here are just a big chunk of floorless rust...
I keep telling myself that as soon as I have the money I will go find a clean 240 in Ontario

I like your cars
Old 12-13-2010, 02:40 PM   #63
amerbritcan
Hnnnnnng

thanks! I found it on usedottawa.ca or .com and went from there. 240's are becoming a rare sight in these parts.
Old 12-16-2010, 10:14 PM   #64
amerbritcan
Hnnnnnng

so any grandiose plans for wheels and shiny suspension bits have been put on hold. Car is no longer a runner, and i have to spend some time and money figuring out why. I've got spark, I've got fuel. I've got one cylendar igniting when I use my mom's Jeep to try to Jump it. I have no combustion at all when it's cranking by itself. which would suggest something's not quite strong enough in the ignition chain. But the spark plug wires, points, condenser, rotor arm, coil wire, distributor cap are all new, spark plugs just got cleaned and re gapped (part of the diagnosis) points are working properly, etc. All I could do outside before my fingers froze and I could no longer see anything. tomorrow my dad and I are hooking up a thing that lights up when current goes through it, that goes in-line with the spark plugs, to make sure current is going to the spark plugs. 3 spark plug wires fail at once though? unlikely. timing belt looks fine, but any chance it could have somehow jumped and made it so only one cylendar's got close-enough timing to ignite? I'm so frustrated with this thing right now. Every holiday season, it leaves me stranded somewhere. last christmas eve, at 11pm, an hour and a half from my destination. Today, 8 hours from my destination. argh. Anyone want to make offers on a 'it ran yesterday' 242? all maintenance more-than-kept up on, oil changed yesterday (mobil 1 synthetic since I've owned it). 81 300km's, new rear brakes last month, would pass a safety in a sinch, too old to need e-testing? I'm so sick of this thing, it needs someone it hasn't pissed off yet.
Old 12-17-2010, 08:09 AM   #65
Prime240
240 addict

Well that blows!
I hope you can find the trouble quick....
My 245 left me straded for a week about 2 weeks ago until I foun it was the cranck position sensor
Thank god for CAA....
Prime240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 09:21 AM   #66
DNAsEqUeNcE
†John3:16

upgrade to an electronic ignition!
Old 01-13-2011, 09:14 PM   #67
amerbritcan
Hnnnnnng

install rear springs
install adjustable panhard bar, not yet purchased.
polish my virgos
buy 16" or bigger wheels for the car. if not, get new rubber for the virgos before I put them back on.
fix my crooked headlight
fix my exhaust
look at the s tance of the car and if it's squatting after the install of the rear springs, lower the front more somehow. RAKE
possibly get new rear shocks (again)-the summit racing ones Jerd's currently testing.
clean the interior
fix my broken glovebox
install speakers-
triple gauge pod
more bodywork

Progress is being made, however slowly. Car still runs like an ass of someone who's had too much vindaloo, but at least now I'm not making ears bleed. Still backfiring like a sombitch too.

Last edited by amerbritcan; 03-24-2011 at 05:50 PM..
Old 01-14-2011, 01:14 AM   #68
robsvolvos
Board Member

Check your firing order. And when you're done that, dump that wretched pile of **** Stromberg carb and install an SU HIF6 in it's place. You'll thank yourself... and me, for suggesting it.
robsvolvos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 01:17 AM   #69
robsvolvos
Board Member

And while you're in there, yank out the EGR clarinet and plug the holes with pennies and JB Weld. It'll be the best 4 cents you ever spent keeping your new SU carb clean.
Old 01-14-2011, 11:17 PM   #70
amerbritcan
Hnnnnnng

Quote:
Originally Posted by robsvolvos View Post
Check your firing order. And when you're done that, dump that wretched pile of **** Stromberg carb and install an SU HIF6 in it's place. You'll thank yourself... and me, for suggesting it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by robsvolvos View Post
And while you're in there, yank out the EGR clarinet and plug the holes with pennies and JB Weld. It'll be the best 4 cents you ever spent keeping your new SU carb clean.
these are two fantastic suggestions, and I already know they are. Does that win me any points? I'm so much more familiar with SU's too, from the MGB, to the various triumphs, and the PV all of which have had them. I just look at the Stromby and scratch my head. unfortunately I need to source one, and they're apparently a rarity nowadays.

The 244's an '84. shouldn't it have k-jet? I was under the impression that the stromby was a one-year only thing, for 1982, '81 and before having the (much better I'm sure) SU, and '83+ having K-jet? anyway, I have an '84 strombied 244.
Old 01-14-2011, 11:48 PM   #71
robsvolvos
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amerbritcan View Post
these are two fantastic suggestions, and I already know they are. Does that win me any points? I'm so much more familiar with SU's too, from the MGB, to the various triumphs, and the PV all of which have had them. I just look at the Stromby and scratch my head. unfortunately I need to source one, and they're apparently a rarity nowadays.

The 244's an '84. shouldn't it have k-jet? I was under the impression that the stromby was a one-year only thing, for 1982, '81 and before having the (much better I'm sure) SU, and '83+ having K-jet? anyway, I have an '84 strombied 244.
History of the carb in Canadian 240s:

1975- B20F- no carb offered
1976- B21F- no carb offered
1977- B21F- no carb offered
1978-81 B21A- single SU HIF6 carb in DL models
1982-84 B21A- single CD 175 Stromberg single carb in DL models

Hope this helps. If you want an SU, try Ed Schramm (sp?) in B.C. They should be able to supply one cheap. If you do get one, feel free to bring the car over and I can help you get it swapped in and set up.
Old 01-21-2011, 09:02 PM   #72
amerbritcan
Hnnnnnng

Ed Schramm said they wouldn't be able to supply me a carb, but they did give me a phone number of someone who could, and they also gave me the volvo part number for the gasket for in between the carb and the mani. Very helpful.
Old 02-03-2011, 10:35 PM   #73
amerbritcan
Hnnnnnng

install rear springs
install adjustable panhard bar, not yet purchased.
polish my virgos
buy 16" or bigger wheels for the car. if not, get new rubber for the virgos before I put them back on.
fix my crooked headlight
fix my exhaust
possibly get new rear shocks (again)-the summit racing ones Jerd's currently testing.
clean the interior
fix my broken glovebox
install speakers-
triple gauge pod
more bodywork

Car runs just about as nicely as it ever did, with the exception of idle. However, unlike the last carb, this one still has its idle adjustment screw, so I'll tinker with that later and see if I can get it to idle happy. I'm so effing glad it didn't need more to get to running right, I was (and still kind of am) ready to throw in the towel with this car. It better give me at least enough reliable useage to make it to and from PA in a couple weeks, or I may just sell it for what I can get and move on. I'm sick of not having a running car. Still ugly as sin, as powerful as the breath of a man on his deathbed, sounds like glorified fart etc. Hopefully this weekend will make me happier with the car as i fix a few more issues. Also got to sanding the flaking white paint off of the 850 air dam. Long way to go on that.

Last edited by amerbritcan; 03-24-2011 at 05:50 PM..
Old 02-13-2011, 08:49 PM   #74
amerbritcan
Hnnnnnng

Today I tinkered with the ignition because I wasn't quite happy with the way the car was running still. Re-gapping the points made it run way better. Tonight, it ran at 100%, no question. I'll run it tomorrow and see if it still is, and if so, I'll probably drive it to school for the rest of the week and see if I can take it to PA instead of the 'zuki (thank goodness, that thing's horrible). It even made it sound better, the thing's happy, and sounds decent with just the one cherry bomb.
Old 02-13-2011, 10:59 PM   #75
243_Phantom
Joe

did you ever figure out those gauges? I retrofitted a set into a 1986 a few years ago, and got everything working really well. I'm actually about to scrap the car, but I could write down which wire goes where for you, if you want.
243_Phantom is offline   Reply With Quote