home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 09-28-2009, 10:37 AM   #1
amerbritcan
Hnnnnnng

Default amerbritcan's 242 build

This is my recently acquired 1982 242 DL. Slow and ugly. I'll fix the slow bit, the ugly suits it just fine. It's cosmetically rusty, as seen in the pics, but solid underneath. Once road legal, I had just over $1k CDN put into it, and for a car with 54 8**km's, I thought that was pretty effing good. The car has Virgos with hankook ventus stickies all round, 242GT style firewall to strut tower braces, and ipd springs in the front, but not rear. All I've really done so far is clean it up (yes, it was worse) and sticker it up (the most important part!) the only possible cosmetic upgrades i could see happening would be window tint and rust repair. Seeing as I'm in a 2 bedroom apartment, with no garage and a gravel driveway, I don't see myself doing a lot of work on it in the driveway, so I'll have to make good friends with someone with a bay or a garage. I've done some very-not-pretty rust repair to the driver's door. the passenger door's beltline trim is flailing off in the wind, and glue did nothing, so I'll have to find a way to fix that.

Pictures!

The back 3/4 shot

Help me figure out what is meant by that sticker! TWELVE2one means nothing to me...and no, that's not my compression ratio

I don't know what the next step is on that trim...superglue failed so.... duct tape?

Rust Rust Rust!

Believe it or not, this is far and away better than it was when I got it. How the engine bay accumulated so much gunk from only going 54 000 kms I'll never figure out

So! first orders of business will be suspension! so I'm looking for cheap springs, poly bushings, sway bars etc. I want this thing way stiffer and maybe a bit lower. Then I may swap in a 5spd That came along for the ride in the trunk, though I've no idea what 5 spd it is. Highway speeds in this thing are horrible. it's screaming at 110-120km/h.
1967 220 amazon station wagon.
1990 244GL M47 summer DD project.
Quote:
Originally Posted by charles850t View Post
I fart and Reese Witherspoon falls out of my ass.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhengisKhan View Post
I'm just a cum guzzler and I can't help myself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by My Mom
Get a bike
Honestly I've not been to www.brickspeed.net in years so I have no idea why it's still in my sig
Poopie scissors
amerbritcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 11:37 AM   #2
vthreat
Board Member

Looks like a good starting point! Did you find it locally?

Reminds me of when I first acquired my 242....mind you mine had almost 400 000km on it when I got it.

A can of engine degreaser and a couple of toonies down at the car wash will do that engine bay wonders. Report back with more pics.
Old 09-28-2009, 01:17 PM   #3
FattMatt805
juggalo

those little white clips that hold the beltline trim on are available from the stealership for cheap cheap.

but i prefer to remove the trim and fill the holes (looks better)
1977 F250. 460ci
1957 H.D. Sportster. Mothballed
FattMatt805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 01:22 PM   #4
Falcone
Board Member

Wicked Jay, you have to show off your PV as well man. There are tons of 2xx series cars in our junkyards, Macadoos and Euro. Damn you and your wicked 242 man j/k. Wanna trade?

Mike

I was us up all night with a rusty hammer trying to build a fence around these magic beans my dreams have gathered
Falcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 02:22 PM   #5
doucheNozzle

Twelve2one

...Kidding. Build looks fun. I can't believe how nasty that engine bay is. Cover the dizzy with a bag, and get some purple power cleaner on there. Then pressure wash the you know what out of it. Should help. Lots.

'93 944 T - #TrophyVo
'00 XC70 SE - Slow
'04 V70 T5A - Feels Fast
doucheNozzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 02:37 PM   #6
amerbritcan
Hnnnnnng

Quote:
Originally Posted by vthreat View Post
Looks like a good starting point! Did you find it locally? Report back with more pics.
Thanks man! I found it on usedottawa.com, and the seller was actually in Quebec. it's a quebec car originally.

Mike, your car is miles faster than mine, so, if all I cared about was performance, I'd trade in an instant. unfortunately, this is also my DD, so I need more seats haha.

Thanks Matt! I'll go down to the local stealership later and see of that works. the trim is totally bent out of whack though so we'll see
Old 09-29-2009, 10:36 AM   #7
amerbritcan
Hnnnnnng

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyd View Post
hahaha, No. I don't think that's it. I'm probably going to leave the engine bay how it is, as I'm going to be oilspraying it or undercoating it within the next few weeks, which would just mess up the engine bay more.
Old 09-30-2009, 01:58 AM   #8
amerbritcan
Hnnnnnng

Default Trim Fixed!

I fixed the bicyclist-whipping passenger door trim! I know it's nothing big, but just to keep the thread moving. Here's some pics;

My wallet took a serious hit from this so I don't know when I'll be able to make my next big expense

On a new note, today was day two at my new job, so hopefully I'll have money to spend on the car soon.

Next, the auxiliary gauge cluster! right now it's just mounted in the hole, nothing's plugged in, so that'll be next to sort out.
Old 09-30-2009, 02:42 AM   #9
doucheNozzle

Where do you work?

oh and looks good
doucheNozzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 11:42 AM   #10
Falcone
Board Member

Nice Van Herpt reciept Jake, you can get a new trim piece off of division st on macadoo road at the wreckers if you want. We can take a trip sometime and check stuff out. I need an e30 spoiler.

Mike
Old 09-30-2009, 01:39 PM   #11
amerbritcan
Hnnnnnng

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyd View Post
Where do you work?

oh and looks good
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ktown_Brick View Post
Nice Van Herpt reciept Jake, you can get a new trim piece off of division st on macadoo road at the wreckers if you want. We can take a trip sometime and check stuff out. I need an e30 spoiler.

Mike
I am a customer service representative for Startek, which is a business process outsourcing company. I am an over-the-phone customer service guy. Mike; That would be sweet. I don't really need anything in particular, now that that trim is on there good and proper (I know it's still bent and mashed, but all I care about is it being attached) but I'll scope out the volvos for stuff I might want to pull off of them later. +T stuff or suspension goodies.
Old 09-30-2009, 02:08 PM   #12
Maximator
Trying to sell the 240!!

Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia (sometimes Kingston and Ottawa, Ontario)

Whenever possible, Startek promotes from within...

Jay, sorry I missed you guys for the brake job last week. We'll have to have a volvo drinkfest soon, before my brick goes in for storage.

-Max

1985 245 NA: M46, stock, and older than me! in (slow) progress...
1992 245 NA FOR SALE
1992 Toyota Camry V6 Wagon

Maximator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 01:29 PM   #13
amerbritcan
Hnnnnnng

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximator View Post
Whenever possible, Startek promotes from within...

Jay, sorry I missed you guys for the brake job last week. We'll have to have a volvo drinkfest soon, before my brick goes in for storage.

-Max
Ha hahahaha. yeah. It was kind of a last resort cuz I was broke initially, but it's not bad so far, and The promotion thing is an asset. That drinkfest should happen soon. Mike wants to cruise the JY for bits for his E30, so maybe we can combine those activities? Not drinking at the JY....though that could get entertaining, wake up the next morning with a half volvo part bmw part Saturn or something ridiculous like that parked in the driveway lol.

We'll have to hangout soon.
Old 10-02-2009, 05:14 PM   #14
amerbritcan
Hnnnnnng

I'm stealing work interwebs to say my intertnet's down *shakes fist at cogeco* so no more updates until I get it working again. Also, whoever told me it was an easy fix to hook up those auxiliary guages get's a smack once I figure out who it was. My dash was ripped appart this mortning, and they still dont work.
Old 10-02-2009, 06:27 PM   #15
Falcone
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amerbritcan View Post
I'm stealing work interwebs to say my intertnet's down *shakes fist at cogeco* so no more updates until I get it working again. Also, whoever told me it was an easy fix to hook up those auxiliary guages get's a smack once I figure out who it was. My dash was ripped appart this mortning, and they still dont work.
Hey Jake, I can help you with those, I have gotten quite good with gauges. I got all my extra ones spliced properly now, and they all work, yeah. What problems are you having, bad connections/senders?
Old 10-03-2009, 10:57 AM   #16
amerbritcan
Hnnnnnng

Someone who once had a '82 242 non turbo told me that all I had to do was pull them out of the dash, and all the required wiring/senders etc were already hooked up, so all I'd have to do would be plug them in. this is bull**** I found one spare connector, and I think it's less spare and more pulled off of the back of my dash
Old 10-07-2009, 12:23 AM   #17
amerbritcan
Hnnnnnng

INTERNETZZZZZ woo yeah, so I'm connected again, fina-F***ing-ly
Old 10-07-2009, 11:01 AM   #18
Falcone
Board Member

How are your gauges working out for you?
Old 10-07-2009, 02:09 PM   #19
amerbritcan
Hnnnnnng

Haven't Made any further attempts. I need to find out if there are senders for them. I have external Temp, oil pressure, and Voltage
Old 10-13-2009, 03:07 PM   #20
amerbritcan
Hnnnnnng

Ok...I got a $200 gift certificate for ipd..mini benchrace it for me. Sways? chassis braces?
Old 10-21-2009, 11:03 PM   #21
amerbritcan
Hnnnnnng

I need help! I hit someone from behind! I need front end parts! headlights, hood, indicators, grille etc I need everything on the front except a bumper! hook me up!
Old 10-24-2009, 09:02 PM   #22
robsvolvos
Board Member

Is the guy you were referring to that told you that the guage pack was a plug-in solution -me? In fairness, I told your father that all of the non-turbo '81-'84 240's were pre-wired for the most of the guages. I said NOTHING about the senders already being there. There is, behind the cluster, an empty, wired socket waiting there for you to plug your three-pack into. This takes care of the lighting, and the voltmeter. It also contains the wiring for the oil pressure sender and the ambient temp guage, the other end of which you will find taped against the lighting harness on the inner driver's fender by the headlights. I also offered to him that I'd gladly help you install them. Hell, I even have all the guages you need.

Rob

Last edited by robsvolvos; 10-25-2009 at 09:17 AM..
robsvolvos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 09:53 PM   #23
amerbritcan
Hnnnnnng

Possibly you rob. possibly someone else, can't remember.well, in actuality, it wasn't you either way because if you told my dad something, it's possible he told me something else. Either way, all there is behind the three pack when I pull them out of the dash is ONE connector, and each gauge needs three, so I'd need nine. the wire is white.
Old 10-25-2009, 09:27 AM   #24
robsvolvos
Board Member

Ok, now I see your dilemma. Your 3 pack is missing it's wire harness. There is supposed to be a harness pigtail about 6 inches long that goes to all the gauges and then has a 6 pin Molex connector that mates up to that empty connector coming off of the main harness.

Make sure you check the date codes on the backs of the guages. Anything from 1983 and up will have greenish-blue backlighting, while earlier ones have clear lighting. If you mix and match, it can look screwy.

Rob

Last edited by robsvolvos; 10-25-2009 at 09:31 AM.. Reason: photo
robsvolvos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 02:30 AM   #25
amerbritcan
Hnnnnnng

Oh! yeah, mine hasn't got that pigtail. Also, I couldn't find the plug that the pigtail would have plugged into, I found the type of connector that would have attached to one of the tabs on one of the gauges.

The Car has been fully repaired from the collision, other than the headlamp bucket things on the drivers side being bent back into shape as much as I could. it doesn't look right, but everything went back together properly so I'm happy. My hood is silver, and I have hood pins as the new hood hadn't a hood latch and mine was bent beyond recognition in the accident. Pics coming soon!