home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > maintenance & nonperformance

Old 03-24-2018, 12:06 AM   #76
PromiseRing
We don't even like Volvos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwood Chair View Post
That's not how Volvogeorge Swift taught me to do it, but carry on since you know it all...

Oh and he is a mechanic, in fact he's an engine builder for Jay Leno now just FYI.
Is that not what you told me

And again, irrelevant post. What darkness said was stupid. It’s not a mechanic who assembled these cars from the factory.
93' 245 m47
90' 744 AW70
94' M-Edition Miata
95' Camry auto
Past:
80' 242gt m46
88' 245 m47
92' 940 turbo AW17

If you stop and think about it, itís literally not worth your time to get on TBOT every day and argue about politics.
PromiseRing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 12:07 AM   #77
PromiseRing

Quote:
Did you knock the cups back against the circlips?
This

Yes, I did.
Old 03-24-2018, 12:36 AM   #78
Redwood Chair
K-jet For Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by PromiseRing View Post
This

Yes, I did.
Damn kid you're so stubborn you're almost stupid.

You stated you tapped them in until they CLEARANCED and the circlips popped in.

Clearance is a space however small...

Not knocked back tight against the clips to allow for proper articulation like I've been TRYING TO TELL YOU.

Image hosted by servimg.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiperfauto View Post
Folks on here don't know a good deal when they see it.
how psi stock cna support?

Redwood Chair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 12:53 AM   #79
PromiseRing

Quote:
Damn kid you're so stubborn you're almost stupid.

You stated you tapped them in until they CLEARANCED and the circlips popped in.

Clearance is a space however small...

Not knocked back tight against the clips to allow for proper articulation like I've been TRYING TO TELL YOU.
Why didn’t you say that 77 posts ago Ken? And I’m not stubborn.
Old 03-24-2018, 01:35 AM   #80
Darkness
Board Member

Quote:
By the way neither of your posts make any sense and are irrelevant lol. People who work on an assembly line aren’t mechanics, for the record.
So, your Volvo is special huh?

Never had driveline work in 25 yrs?

Yeah right.

Quote:
Is that not what you told me

And again, irrelevant post. What darkness said was stupid. It’s not a mechanic who assembled these cars from the factory.
So, I guess your 5.8 posts per day versus my 3 posts per year makes you an expert eh?
Darkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 01:37 AM   #81
Darkness
Board Member

Quote:
Why didnít you say that 77 posts ago Ken? And Iím not stubborn.
Yeah, not stubborn. It is most definitely something less noble than that.
Darkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 09:43 AM   #82
Redwood Chair
K-jet For Life

Quote:
Why didnít you say that 77 posts ago Ken? And Iím not stubborn.
I kinda did, but didn't think I'd have to gold plate it to get you to understand the logic in it.

Oh BTW & just FYI a factory worker is actually a factory trained technician not some self taught billyjoebob 'mechanic' down at the corner gas station.
Old 03-24-2018, 11:04 AM   #83
PromiseRing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkness View Post
So, your Volvo is special huh?

Never had driveline work in 25 yrs?

Yeah right.

So, I guess your 5.8 posts per day versus my 3 posts per year makes you an expert eh?
I have every maintenance record since 1993 as far as I know. Iím more than willing to bet itís original u joints, carrier bearing etc.
Quote:
I kinda did, but didn't think I'd have to gold plate it to get you to understand the logic in it.

Oh BTW & just FYI a factory worker is actually a factory trained technician not some self taught billyjoebob 'mechanic' down at the corner gas station.
You should know by now if it isnít written in crayon on a paper plate Iím not gonna understand it.

And yes, thatís what I said.
Old 03-24-2018, 02:00 PM   #84
tintintin
Board Member

Quote:
So are the buckets supposed to outwards towards the c clips? Because all 4 caps are touching the c clips.
I did try to explain it as best I could. Sorry for my lack of english writing and descriptive skills. Yes, whatever you say, yes, you are correct, yes. Whatever.

Trying one last time. The cups may be touching the circlips but may still be a bit tight to the crosspiece, causing binding at some point(s). Driving them back outwardly against the circlips moves them ever so slightly away from the crosspiece, hopefully opening enough clearance to eliminate any chance of binding. Keywords: moves them ever so slightly. Even though they may be touching the circlips they are still able to move outward a bit. What is the word, elasticity maybe? Clearancing? Not sure. Somebody help me.

Of course, you gonna say "there's no binding," so you have established that without a doubt so you can forget about all this.

Just thought it was important you understood the concept instead of immediately condemning it. Of course these are tricks the pros use, not necessarily for TB mechanics to use on their old cars.

Well I had one more idea for you before I get off this thread permanently. Another TBer had a recent driveshaft thread where he found the problem was a lateral displacement of (I think it was) the center bearing. He slotted the holes to remount it lined up straight and that fixed it. You may want to check for something like that.
tintintin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 02:05 PM   #85
bobxyz
Board Member

If you have the Bentley Manual, there's a great picture of indirectly tapping out the bearing cups (or seating them) in the Driveshaft chapter (pg 450-2 Fig. 3).
bobxyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 02:16 PM   #86
Redwood Chair
K-jet For Life

Quote:
I have every maintenance record since 1993 as far as I know. Iím more than willing to bet itís original u joints, carrier bearing etc.

You should know by now if it isnít written in crayon on a paper plate Iím not gonna understand it.

And yes, thatís what I said.
Do you have problems with your textbooks in school?

Asking for a friend...
Old 03-24-2018, 03:17 PM   #87
PromiseRing

Quote:
Originally Posted by tintintin View Post
I did try to explain it as best I could. Sorry for my lack of english writing and descriptive skills. Yes, whatever you say, yes, you are correct, yes. Whatever.

Trying one last time. The cups may be touching the circlips but may still be a bit tight to the crosspiece, causing binding at some point(s). Driving them back outwardly against the circlips moves them ever so slightly away from the crosspiece, hopefully opening enough clearance to eliminate any chance of binding. Keywords: moves them ever so slightly. Even though they may be touching the circlips they are still able to move outward a bit. What is the word, elasticity maybe? Clearancing? Not sure. Somebody help me.

Of course, you gonna say "there's no binding," so you have established that without a doubt so you can forget about all this.

Just thought it was important you understood the concept instead of immediately condemning it. Of course these are tricks the pros use, not necessarily for TB mechanics to use on their old cars.

Well I had one more idea for you before I get off this thread permanently. Another TBer had a recent driveshaft thread where he found the problem was a lateral displacement of (I think it was) the center bearing. He slotted the holes to remount it lined up straight and that fixed it. You may want to check for something like that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobxyz View Post
If you have the Bentley Manual, there's a great picture of indirectly tapping out the bearing cups (or seating them) in the Driveshaft chapter (pg 450-2 Fig. 3).
Quote:
Do you have problems with your textbooks in school?

Asking for a friend...
Alright everybody sorry for being a stubborn prick, I was just flustered to say the least. If it ever stops raining I will follow yours and Kens instructions and better inspect. To me it seemed like there was no binding since I was able to move the ujoint in all directions without resistance.
Old 03-24-2018, 08:04 PM   #88
TestPoint
Board Member

Post #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TestPoint View Post
In a six month effort to completely eliminate shaft vibration my shaft balance guy coughed up the fact that there are three standard snap ring thicknesses.

The new U-joints and included snap rings I was working with bound the bearings far too tightly creating vibrations.
Setting the caps back against the proper thickness snap rings is obviously a critical criteria that I had no knowledge of at the time. I had set the joints back against the rings but that wasn't enough. My balance guy replaced the included rings with thinner ones and sent me happily on my way.

1982 Volvo 245 with a Ford 302 V8

Ford V8 Conversion Manual -
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=250257

Bertone Restoration - http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=256460
TestPoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 08:54 PM   #89
PromiseRing

Quote:
Originally Posted by TestPoint View Post
Post #13

Setting the caps back against the proper thickness snap rings is obviously a critical criteria that I had no knowledge of at the time. I had set the joints back against the rings but that wasn't enough. My balance guy replaced the included rings with thinner ones and sent me happily on my way.
So rings may be too thick. Is there anyway of knowing mine are too thick?
Old 03-24-2018, 09:06 PM   #90
TestPoint
Board Member

Vibration . . . or something else.

I had paid the shaft guy about $100 to shorten and balance a one tube custom shaft for my 302 conversion with new U-joints that I had installed. When I couldn't get the vibration out I took it back and he explained about the three thicknesses of snap rings. I do not know if that is because of rust in the ring cut or because of tolerances of the yokes.

The bottom line is that an U-joint cannot be bound tightly in the yoke without causing problems.
TestPoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 09:44 PM   #91
JohnLane
Board Member

OP U-Joints in the late cars last much longer then we saw in early cars with the 'Two smalls and a medium' driveshafts.

I have installed $10.00 U-Joints only to solve the new vibration with Volvo U-Joints.
I've also got to have the driveshaft guy balance a shaft after doing U-Joints.
If you dented a tube as part of your process it will shake.

But you know this. Ahhhhh snowflakes!
Old 03-24-2018, 10:39 PM   #92
PromiseRing

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLane View Post
OP U-Joints in the late cars last much longer then we saw in early cars with the 'Two smalls and a medium' driveshafts.

I have installed $10.00 U-Joints only to solve the new vibration with Volvo U-Joints.
I've also got to have the driveshaft guy balance a shaft after doing U-Joints.
If you dented a tube as part of your process it will shake.

But you know this. Ahhhhh snowflakes!
Nooo apparently I donít know anything about this ujoint stuff or I wouldnít have messed it up

So I can
-Change to Volvo OE u joint
-Check snap ring thickness
-Make sure u joint isnít pushed too far in
-Find someone to balance the shaft(s)

I donít think I dented it but I guess Iím not 100% positive. All the u joints went in and out easily except the first one I pressed in. I I think most of the force was exerted on the joint and not the ears.
Old 03-24-2018, 11:12 PM   #93
JohnLane
Board Member

We've all had a U-Joint needle fall over and got to throw one away for it.

Plenty of suggestions in this thread which if followed will help you to solve the issue.

Best of luck.
JohnLane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 02:24 PM   #94
PromiseRing

Has anyone noticed a plastic type of coating in or on the splines of the rear shaft? I seem to remember having to peel off quite a bit of plastic coating in order to fit the rear shaft splines into the front shaft. Perhaps that plastic was supposed to be there? It was damaged and that’s why it would not allow for reinstallation without removal.
Old 05-15-2018, 01:35 PM   #95
PromiseRing

SOLVED: installed an m47 driveshaft from the junkyard for $27. It was from a 1992 car and had the arrows on each shaft unlike my 1993 cars. In fact, the arrows looked to be off a couple splines, and the center support bearing made noise when I spun it by hand, but i left it as is and all vibrations are completely gone from 0-90mph haven’t had it past that but that’s good enough for me. I will most likely have to replace the center bearing at some point but for now we will consider this solved. Thanks for all the advice, hopefully you guys have better luck than me

Last edited by PromiseRing; 05-15-2018 at 01:40 PM..