home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > maintenance & nonperformance

Old 05-15-2018, 07:57 AM   #1
SenseiRice
Board Member

Default Cutting out on launch, lh3.1

Back again with my 1991 240 lh3.1 That I put a rebuilt 93 squirter motor with a vx3 cam in. Got around 600 miles on the motor. It was my first overhaul and first time I did a motor swap mostly by myself so I guess there was bound to be some kinks. Anyways I decided to launch it on tarmac for fun, revved it up to about 2500 rpm and dumped the clutch, it spun the tires for a second then started cutting out and back in with my foot flat to the floor. It wasnīt bogging, the motor started cutting out and back on. I took my foot off the gas and let it coast for a bit then drove off fine. I decided to try it again just to see if it was a recurring problem, gave it about 3000rpm and same thing but it cut out and came back on for longer. I havenīt launched the car since the motor went in but I have gotten it moving in 1st then floored it and had it song straight to 6k no problem. I wanted to see if it would still rev fine and full so I got moving at about 5mph the flooered it. The car cut out at about 4000rpm but came back on and continued fine all the way through second gear. Parked it after I got to school and havenīt checked anything yet. It had a 2-3-2 code from the jetronic computer but no MIL on the dash. before I put the motor in it would throw 2-1-4 codes from the ezk computer but show no symptoms of having the code. Any ideas what I should check first? Donīt want to run in blind and spend 4 days diagnosing this if I can avoid it.
Old 05-15-2018, 09:30 AM   #2
EivlEvo
Board Member

What number is your ECU?
EivlEvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 09:33 AM   #3
EivlEvo
Board Member

214 is your crank position sensor IIRC.

You should check the wiring for this and make sure you haven't blown your rear cam seal out the back of the motor and puked oil all over the thing.
Old 05-15-2018, 10:00 AM   #4
SenseiRice
Board Member

I can check the ECU number when I get home, the rear cam seal isn't leaking because I've been checking the seals and gaskets for leaks and they're all still dry.
SenseiRice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 10:08 AM   #5
petiww
Board Member

Sounds like a cps sensor wiring problem. Me thinks when you launch it hard the engine moves so much that it looses signal because of wiring.
Old 05-15-2018, 10:29 AM   #6
EivlEvo
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by petiww View Post
Sounds like a cps sensor wiring problem. Me thinks when you launch it hard the engine moves so much that it looses signal because of wiring.
Yeah... and/or the motor is squishing the sensor between the head and the firewall...?
Old 05-15-2018, 12:16 PM   #7
SenseiRice
Board Member

Just got home and checked codes, still only have the before mentioned 2-3-2. Had no problems with 2cnd and 3rd gear pulls. Just got a pretty nice thinderstorm so I'll probably have to wait until later tonight or tomorrow to diagnose anymore
Old 05-16-2018, 12:16 PM   #8
SenseiRice
Board Member

Swapped out the cheapo cap and rotor I have for the Bosch ones I had on the old motor just to see what would happen and it's still the same.
Old 05-16-2018, 12:47 PM   #9
SenseiRice
Board Member

I was driving normally and it cut out on me pulling away from a stop, the stop sign is at the bottom of a small bump in the road so I dont know if the car bounced just right and something moved causing it to cut out again or what. I let It coast for a second then put my foot in it to not hold up traffic. Chirped second and it didn't cut out but it bogged real bad. Never had any issues with it chirping second before.

Last edited by SenseiRice; 05-16-2018 at 12:53 PM..
Old 05-16-2018, 12:55 PM   #10
EivlEvo
Board Member

What's your ECU #?
Old 05-16-2018, 01:05 PM   #11
SenseiRice
Board Member

0 280 000 572 is the number above the barcode, below the barcode the number is 3 517 885