home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > maintenance & nonperformance

Old 05-15-2018, 09:38 PM   #1
Grommit55

Default Hot starting problem.

I've had this '84 242 Turbo for a few months now and had to have the heater core replaced and a fuel check-valve as it was hard to start when it was warm. Now the problem is even worse! First thing in the morning the engine starts and idles OK. Even after I've been at work for 8 hours it is OK. But if the engine is hot, and by that I mean at normal temperature, If I try to start it again, up to several hours, it sounds like a load of old brick in a mixer and lumps along at about 500 rpm and then dies. This happens over and over.
Eventually, with the right amount of gas, it will run up, but then will die unless you start driving. Once moving it is fine again.
Any ideas anyone?
Grommit55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 10:04 PM   #2
John242Ti
LH-Jet & Carb Free Zone

Did the car sit for any amount of time? You might have varnish in the fuel distributor and the control pressure regulator. I had an '82 242Ti that did that. Sometimes would have to wind it out to 4500 rpm or so and hold it there for a bit before it finally would idle. Replaced both parts and the problems went away.

-J

1982 242Ti - black, M46. 1985 245Ti - blue, M46. Formerly Blue245Ti, 245GT-Turbo, and, originally 242GT-Ti.
John242Ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 06:00 PM   #3
Grommit55

The previous owner is no longer able to drive and I think the car has sat in his shop for quite a few months except for outings to get work done on it. I put a new set of NGK Irridium plugs in last night but it made no difference so I feel it is likely that there is a problem with the fuel supply. What you say makes sense. I had the same problem with my Honda lawnmower last year but now I only use premium gas in it at it runs like a race car. Are those two items difficult to replace oyo ? I will try to get the parts.

Cheers: Harry.
Old 05-16-2018, 10:07 PM   #4
John242Ti
LH-Jet & Carb Free Zone

Harry,

Not very hard at all. Just make sure that you have all the copper washers you need for the banjo bolts. I tend to just use the copper NGK plugs. The Iridium plugs have such a tiny electrode.

-John
John242Ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 10:32 PM   #5
Grommit55

As I have been driving the car since March and the problem has only been bad over the last two weeks, I thought first I would get some fuel system cleaning additive and a fresh tank of premium gas and see if that can flush the crap through before I spend $$$ on new parts.

Harry.
Old 05-16-2018, 10:56 PM   #6
hiperfauto
Board Member

Do you have access to a K-Jet fuel pressure gauge? You really need one to properly diagnose the system.
hiperfauto is online now   Reply With Quote