• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

YASVT (Yet Another Sixteen Valve Turbo) - now 16V Whiteblock (LS)

Got it all back together last night. Filled it up with coolant... and wtf, sigh, why is there coolant on the garage floor?

Turns out (after some searching) that the expansion tank fitting (midway up the passenger side) fitting is cracked near the base. Don't know exactly how, I didn't take that hose off. I'm guessing I bumped it somewhere along the way, taking the turbo/manifold in or out?

It's one of those all metal radiators. So not as fragile as the plastic tanked things, but apparently not bulletproof either. I looked briefly as welded all alu radiators, $350-ish, meh'ed out and just got a Nissens Alu/plastic stocker. It'll be here next Monday.

It was still full of coolant (for the moment) so I thought I'd try to crank it up. Pulled the FI relay (powers the injectors, coils, crank sensor) and cranked until I got some oil pressure. Then plugged the relay in and it started right up. My kid was expressing some doubts about it working on the first try. HAH. Well, other than that coolant thing... :(

there's a whole bunch of alu radiators for a *lot* less than tree fiddy, but if the stocker works, why reinvent the wheel eh?

I really didn't search very hard or long. Guess I should have.

I'm sort of half heartedly pulling parts together for a V8 swap at some point, I shuold have pondered this rad swap with that in mind.

Ah well, the stock style is cheap enough to not really worry about it.

the stocker worked fine as long as it wasn't hot out and the a/c wasn't on ;)

Ehhh. Im happy with my stock 940 radiator on my V8 swap, granted I haven't really had a working a/c yet and who knows when I'll find the issue with that. By the time I do it won't really be a/c weather since it looks like its starting to get cooler in Dallas in the mid 90's next week.

yeah. I was hoping mine would too, but it didn't. oh well, cest la vie and other assorted french bull**** like that.

yeah. I was hoping mine would too, but it didn't. oh well, cest la vie and other assorted french bull**** like that.

I imagine when I throw some more power at it and maybe a working a ac that might change but if it doesn't then Im not complaining.

Drove it briefly a couple of days ago, noticed it was dripping oil, and smelled like hot oil when I shut it off. For some reason my turbo oil return drain fitting on the block (drilled out slightly and tapped, brass hose barb fitting screwed in) was leaking slightly. Drip.... drip.... drip. When driving it was blowing back onto the downpipe and making hot oil smells.

Not sure why that decided to leak. It had pipe thread sealer goop on it - the paste kind. I took it out and it just seemed like it was gone. Not sure why. I smeared it with some high temp RTV silicone on the threads and screwed it back in.

Drove it in to work today and no overheat, not oil leak, no drama. w00t. Only did one little burst of high boost (switch on the dash disables the boost control for base WG boost of 9 psi) and it felt fast and fun.

I need to spend some time on the idle again. I swapped from the bigger old 240 idle valve (which was always erratic, never got it to work well) to a newer, smaller later 940 style. I just need to figure out the best new MHZ to use with it, and figure out the new upper/lower DC limits. I hope it works better than the 240 style did.

Not sure why that decided to leak. It had pipe thread sealer goop on it - the paste kind. I took it out and it just seemed like it was gone. Not sure why.
This may sound stupid, but did you get it hot? It doesn't cure until it gets to a certain temperature, and perhaps the block skirt iron never sees that high?

I need to spend some time on the idle again. I swapped from the bigger old 240 idle valve (which was always erratic, never got it to work well) to a newer, smaller later 940 style. I just need to figure out the best new MHZ to use with it, and figure out the new upper/lower DC limits. I hope it works better than the 240 style did.
Sorry to threadjack, but what is big vs small? All of the ones I have from 240, 940, 740, etc look huge to me, but perhaps they're "small" and there was an early monster? Or perhaps I didn't notice them being different. 46.5x90mm excluding hose barbs for a random one in the garage. What do you have?

For some reason I thought I'd posted an answer back when you first asked that, but... no post.

It's from a Regina car. It's physically much less bulky than the LH idle valves, and it has a different plug on it. So far it seems smoother and less erratic than the LH valve was.

Today's issue - after some romping around the trans will no longer go into 2nd or 4th. It's not hitting the body, so it's something in the trans itself.

This was on the way into work this morning, so I haven't had a chance to look at it yet. I'm assuming it's jsut something on the shifter - like a loose limit bolt.

Reverse didn't work either. Lol. Got it home using 3 speeds, took off the shifter boot, and it was just the back limit bolt, it came loose and backed out. 5 speeds and reverse back in action.

Took it out at lunch yesterday and thrashed it around on some country roads with autotune on. It barely touched anything anywhere. Seems pretty healthy.

Changed the oil when I got home.

Trans is still noisy, but it's been that way for a while. I'd think harder about sticking a better T5 in there, but I still have half a thought that this will go LS/T56 at some point, so I'm going to hold off sinking $ into a better T5 for now.

Back