• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 power window motor upgrade?

Had anyone ever tried rewinding a DC motor with more turns to make it faster or more powerful? There are a bunch of videos on youtube about that. Could be a promising solution if it works.
Dave B.

Had anyone ever tried rewinding a DC motor with more turns to make it faster or more powerful? There are a bunch of videos on youtube about that. Could be a promising solution if it works.
Dave B.

hmm sometimes you can get the winding machine for cheap

damn it dave I dont need a project

I had some free time so I did some research.

The family of motors seems to be Bosch P/N 0 130 821 XXX, where XXX specifies the gearbox style.

Judging by the few pictures I could find of disassembled motors, they all have the same motor assembly with a worm gear at the end of the shaft. Since the worm gear is part of the motor I don't think you'll find any sort of easy replacement. However there's a LOT of cars with that series of motors, so you could pretty easily find a different, newer motor to swap into your Volvo gearbox.

Photo of disassembled Mercedes motor

This guy on Ebay is selling new brushes. If you disassemble a motor and measure the OEM brushes you might be able to find something cheaper. Refreshing the brushes may help revitalize an old motor.

Last edited:
yup thats the motor thats in mine ...

great research you did there. I take back some things I thought about you.

I will give that a try and see what happens

gasket falls apart when you take the motor off the gear box. Would be nice to find that too, or make some

What did you think?

I may be too lazy to do half the things my car needs, and I sure ain't no Volvo expert but I do know a few things about electricity and motors. ;-) Hopefully I'm not leading you astray on anything - this is all armchair research since I have a lot of downtime right now.

I would also check the commutator (copper contact area on the rotor) while you have it apart. If there's heavy corrosion or soot buildup, a quick polish with emery paper a la a crank polish can help make sure you have good contact.

I'm lazy at heart. Would just put a sheen of RTV on the gasket area to keep water out and call it good.

This said, the early euro car style console mounted switches are much more logical:
-Keep the master switch wiring from being a wear part/flexing in the driver door hinge area.
-mount switches out of the way of the weather/open window away from moisture or the like as well as vertically to prevent dirt accumulating.
-install in any DL car without having to swap door cards and/or arm rests (just buy the plastic plug for the crank hole).
:e-shrug:

850s are like that, I wonder if it would be worthwhile to convert to that. Would need a nice way of mounting it....

850s are like that, I wonder if it would be worthwhile to convert to that. Would need a nice way of mounting it....

the 240 early power window kits added the switches to ebrake console and dash center.

i would rather clean the switches once every 20 years than have to replace something like on the 850s... with the cupholder right overhead you get coffee or soda spilling just enough there to make them go bad

850s are the only volvos that had the switches there (?)

I never seen the wiring fail on the 240s it's always the switches - you can even get them new still - or the motors go slow from who knows what. My guess - moisture damage, bad brushes, cracked winding, old grease in gear boxes or on the regulator

Just a few grand and I'm sure we can come up with a complete CNC milled, Arduino-contolled window experience for you and your family to enjoy.

I've noticed the main problem being the window guide rubber trim. The felt wears off and adds extra drag. My drivers side has a relatively new piece in it and the window is acceptable in speed. The other three are slow as hell. Silicone spray in the rubber guides helps for a short time.

there's this Toyota lube for window guides I use to use when I worked for toyota. It was like $120 per small tube 15 years ago but I dont remember what the name was ... had a funny name if I remember right

Back