• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Aftermarket shortshifter

Fretka

Hey guys!

Sorry for making a new thread for kinda tiny problem, but didn't notice thread for this.
Anyhow - bought a cheap china shifter for my 940 (m47 box) and would like to know already before how it is assambled. Couldn't find any proper info yet. Here's a picture with the new and old one.

untitled.png

How is the uni-ball compressed in those shims? And how do you disassamble the old one. That plate (which is attached to bumpstop) is not coming off and I can't see how it should.

Thanks in advance.

The shifter has a set screw on the bottom of the ball that holds a pin in. The pin slides out, and the shifter is released. IIRC the ball is held in a wedge simply by that plate and that pin.

The set screw is almost always covered in road grime to make it impossible to see without cleaning, and the pin is pretty typically challenging to slide out on any car that has ever been outside.

Is this what you were asking?

Thanks EvilEvo, I think that's what I was looking for. I don't have the shifter with me at the moment, but I will look into it tomorrow. I also found a video on youtube and the guy who did it took whole shifter apart with all the "tie rods" that are attached to the box. I guess it is easier to remove everything on table not inside of the car.

Anyways - thanks !

You're going to want to bend that new shift lever so it reaches further back.
Also be prepaired for it to rattle and buzz like crazy.

Saw these. Cheap Chinese ****, But iam definitely interested:lol:

Already got it installed, and how do you like it?

That is a knockoff of the SAM short shifter. I ran that for a year or so before my T5 swap. It was a nice shift throw improvement over the stock shifter but did rattle a lot over ~3k rpm. The brass bushings also help firm up the linkage, but it is never going to be “notchy” like a T5 shifter.

We managed to install it yesterday, but I have not yet tried driving it, only running when jacked up.
Pros and cons till now:

+ You get a lot of nice and shiny stuff for that price
+ New bushings
+ Everything more or less fits
+ Shifts are firm because of new bushings

- Even if it fits, needs some adjusting. You have to bend the longest part towards back of the car, because otherwise your hand will be hitting the radio. You can take a look on original shifter, it's bent aswell but the china one is straight
- New bushings are not super precise and you have to shim a little somewhere
- In my case (M46 gearbox) lower part of shifter is touching driveshafts guibo (the rubber clutch that connects shaft to box) just barely. It is scraping when driveshaft is turning. One solution would be lifting the parts that connect shifter to box and the other one is literally shaving the guibo :D Will see how this turns out
^ therefore shifts are not super shorter than originally but you can't really make the lower part longer for shorter shifts because of the guibo placement. It stands exactly below shifter.

I will update on this with some pictures in near future

We managed to install it yesterday, but I have not yet tried driving it, only running when jacked up.
Pros and cons till now:

+ You get a lot of nice and shiny stuff for that price
+ New bushings
+ Everything more or less fits
+ Shifts are firm because of new bushings

- Even if it fits, needs some adjusting. You have to bend the longest part towards back of the car, because otherwise your hand will be hitting the radio. You can take a look on original shifter, it's bent aswell but the china one is straight
- New bushings are not super precise and you have to shim a little somewhere
- In my case (M46 gearbox) lower part of shifter is touching driveshafts guibo (the rubber clutch that connects shaft to box) just barely. It is scraping when driveshaft is turning. One solution would be lifting the parts that connect shifter to box and the other one is literally shaving the guibo :D Will see how this turns out
^ therefore shifts are not super shorter than originally but you can't really make the lower part longer for shorter shifts because of the guibo placement. It stands exactly below shifter.

I will update on this with some pictures in near future

That would be awesome, The 240 doesn't have that rubber disk, so there should be no clearance issue i guess?

We installed everything past week, shaved that guibo a little with everything we had in workshop and it still rubs a little.
Placement is fine, there is a little play, but shifts felt better for the distance I did.
Managed to do 2 or 3 shifts until my fuel pump died, so it's another setback and I will update this sooner or later.

Back