• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

The Buchka 242 Daily Driver

I snuck a sneaky peek at the cleaned up engine bay today. Looking good guys. With fresh paint it will be spectacular.

Also: what kind of POS "friend" would sell you such a rustbucket of a 242? I mean, there's some oxidation around the battery tray. You'll either need to do a frame-off restoration or save everyone the grief and just scrap the shell.

Short update. Here's a picture of the mocked up driveshaft, it's all rebuilt now with new u-joints and OEM center support bits:

IMG_0098.JPG

Collected up a pile of parts that are getting dropped off at a plating shop tomorrow, going for clear zinc on everything:

IMG_0115.JPG

Karl put some Deutsch DTM connectors on both the OE and CBR coolant temp sensors, featuring molded shrink boot action:

IMG_0122.JPG

Also prepping for wheels V2. Picked up some wheel center forgings from a local forging shop. Pretty excited to make some chips:

IMG_0105.JPG

My guess on the centers:

canopus.jpg

:-P

I'm surprised there's such a thing as a forging shop in North America, let alone having a local one. Is the price enough to make mere mortals shy away? Not that it really matters, I'm not gonna be turning any wheels on my Southbend 9a... :lol:

Seriously excellent work, as I've come to expect.

M.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/mfIWq1br5HY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

How much does plating a box of parts like that run? I hate painting **** like that. Looks like cap after a few months usually.

How much does plating a box of parts like that run? I hate painting **** like that. Looks like cap after a few months usually.
Depends on the shop you use for plating. A real high end shop will wire and dip each piece and that gets really expensive really fast because of labor.
Most places will also have a bulk or "bucket" rate and that is usually fine for most builds. They usually have minimums or $50-100. That stuff above would be under the minimum. I've done 2 engine bays worth of nuts/bolts/brackets for under $100 when they are all cleaned with a wire wheel and ready to go.

I managed to sneak all the underhood parts from my 242 into Alex's plating order, along with all the zinc parts from my '65 Honda motorcycle. He didn't have any issue hitting the minimum quantity :p

IMG_0149.JPG

Got the new thermostat housing bolted on with a new gasket.

IMG_0163.JPG

Got my bits back from the plating shop. They did a kick-ass job, really happy with the results.

IMG_0147.JPG

VDO Vision backlit fuel level gauge. I am installing an instrument cluster from a CBR-1000RR and it only has a fuel light so I had to add this for my own sanity.

IMG_0150.JPG

Engine bay got some attention.

IMG_0174.JPG

IMG_0176.JPG

IMG_0175.JPG

2015-08-16.jpg

I was about to hit the bad spots in the engine bay with a spray can when Pat showed up and set me straight. He did an absolutely amazing job on the engine bay and hood. I can't thank him enough for lending his expertise to a paint and body-neanderthal like me.

IMG_0172.JPG

Look out, he's got a gun!

I had a fun time. Thanks for taking a pic of me when I'd been up for 24hrs. :oops:

I made sure to capture your good side.

IMG_0179.JPG

Pat finished up the top of the hood and the slam panel, they look ridiculously good. Really pumped to bolt all this stuff together with shiny re-plated parts.

Oh great. A fan to keep the dust in and avoid pollution.. :lol:

That plating looks amazing btw.

Back