• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

how you diet your brick...???

Got 1989 744 down to 2400 pounds. Aluminum hood. Lexan windows. Scraped out sound deadning. Cut our rear door side impact beams. Stripped and gutted car of everything but still street legal. Replaced sunroof with piece of lexan.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/vB3c4fRXSwU" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

But in back in my stock T cam 90 745 m46 3.54 rear car I got 28mpg at 70. Put in A cam got 25mpg.

Last edited:
In my case I can get 10.0-10.5 on highways 110-120 km/HR.
But on the way work is slow and go. Not stop just slo. I need to squeeze the pedal all the time.

I think diet and about higher gear ratio

Now I can 55kg.
I found suspension parts are very heavy. Like front strut. I may can reduce from them.

Thanks for all.

Maybe do a stage zero tune up first, you know, replace the worn out parts on the engine etc maybe that will make it drive better, have you been doing much maintenance?

i maintenance them more than i maintenance my wife....:rofl::rofl::rofl:

even my 234+T
i found 0w-30 can gain 0.3-0.5 km/lite more than 20w-50.
I decide to use 0w-30 with additional aluminum oil cooler.
now 15000 km pass, compression test show 160-170 psi as same.

I still hesitate about balance shaft, someone said just took the belt off.
this thing is next step. both shafe may can save 10Kg++.

Aluminium hood?

I knew it just for 960 that difference bracket.
can it put to 940?
how much weight save from front and rear hood?
any one tried?

No you cannot put a 960 hood on a 940. The shape is different. And it would not make any difference to your consumption even if it could fit. The only thing that can save you money when filling up is the way you drive.

No you cannot put a 960 hood on a 940. The shape is different. And it would not make any difference to your consumption even if it could fit. The only thing that can save you money when filling up is the way you drive.

Not true, there are modifications you can make that improve your aerodynamics....
aerocivic-evolution-z.jpg

Step by step program to get better MPG in your brick:
1) Pull car into service bay
2) Open hood to reveal engine
3) Carefully loosen radiator cap (beware if engine is hot) and hoist it up
4) Roll car out of service bay
5) Roll a 2003 VW Jetta TDi 5-speed manual station wagon into service bay
6) Open hood to reveal engine
7) Attempt to lower raditor cap onto engine
8) It doesn't fit, discard
9) You now have a nice little station wagon that gets 45 - 50 mpg, enjoy!

fill back seat and trunk with helium balloons
but seriously, weight reduction only helps fuel efficiency as far as accelerating (city driving) goes. On a flat highway, you've already transferred the chemical energy (fuel) to kinetic energy, and you must now fight against the resistance of air. Think about it this way... A 20-ton vehicle on a flat highway with ZERO coefficient of drag would only use a marginal amount of fuel to overcome rolling resistance, and could probably achieve 100+ mpg. Wait, 20 tons, 100 mpg?? You should be worried about aero if you want to improve your highway efficiency.

Check the basic easy cheap aero mods Iv'e linked earlier on. These guys say they can get at least a 1mpg improve at highway speeds. Iv'e checked under my 240 and it's right that the underside of it is a huge mess of air traps.

Top shape engine will get more mpg, special tires pumped at higher psi too.

Edit : also, don't use 0W30 oil. Yes you'll get better mpg but stick with what's recommended per the manual ^^

thanks for relaxing answers.....:rofl::rofl::rofl:

under the rear spoiler, i check the level of it. it seems higher than final drive, so for 944 should benefit but not as much.

my rode to work can't reach 120 km/hr, so aero load in not so critical, and i think is volvo quite a good student on the aerodynamic classroom.:rofl::rofl::rofl:

weight.. weight... and weight...
pleasessss......:oogle::oogle::oogle:

Front seats are heavy, especially the powered ones. Switch to something more modern and lightweight.

Yes I also replace the two front seats with seats from a newer Hyundai? Some s korea car. They were like new and they did bolt right in also with the hyundai brackets. Saved a ton and a half of weight. Can't remember what hundie they came out of at all but it was small and about 2010 year wise.

Back