• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Whiteblock steering pump flow rate

Funkee

I'm in the process of cleaning up the engine bay of my old Chevy, and I'm adding a serpentine setup instead of ye ol' v-belts.

I have a couple of whiteblock steering pumps laying around but I can't really find any good information about them.

The old saginaw pump has a flow rate of about 3 gallon/minute, and about 1300 psi pressure.

The Volvo pump should put out a little less pressure (which is fine), but I'm not sure about the volume.
If it has too little displacement the steering will be 'catchy' I'm afraid.

Ideally I would/could fit a GM type II steering pump, but I like to use Volvo parts cause they're everywhere here and way cheaper than getting everything from the US.

Stickers on many V70II whiteblock pumps that I've seen say 110bar/1595psi. According to this thread 1450 to 1750psi depending on the pump. Don't know about the flow.

850/960 pumps I suppose it's less than 110bar, maybe around 80-85?

What's wrong with v belts? What year chevy? Is the Whiteblock pump a Saginaw? If so just use the chevy relief valve. Recirculating ball uses a little less pressure than rack and pinion, if any thing I bet it would feel over boosted,if you need chevy parts? hmmmm I would like some e codes

Last edited:
Sorry it indeed has a higher pressure I?ve read.
The Chevy is a ?74 Impala, serpentine just looks cleaner and I hate tensioning them by crowbarring the alternator and old saginaw pump.
The newer Volvo pump also says ?Saginaw div? on the back but it?s not the ugly banjo style I want to get rid of.

Normally I order my Chevy stuff new at Rockauto or Summit but if you have 454 goodies I might be interested.

I have plenty of 454 stuff laying around. I have several engines various heads, roller rockers, p.m. Your impala have a 454 ? The cheapest serpentine setup will come off a truck

Back