• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Matty's 760T build

Super Matty P

Bear Juden ist eine Golum
Hey guys, I've been lurking for several years now and decided to come out of the woodwork to get some info and feedback on my 1990 760T I'm in the process of building.

I'm new to volvos but not cars in general. I've worked at dealerships most of my adult life. I started off as the "quick lube" kid doing basic maintenance and began a full time tech for mitsubishi. I moved into writing service which got me in the door in sales. I sold cars (including new volvos) for several years and moved into management. Now I'm the plan process manager for a nissan dealer (think internet manager but I don't sell).

I bought this sweet 1990 760T from the dealership after a little old lady traded it in on a new Jetta. The car was in decent shape and aside from some faded out paint looked to be a solid project for me. It needs tires and brakes BADLY (I'm thinking black pegasus') but not much else. I'm going to start my collection of parts here this month and I'm hoping to get lots of good advice on which way to head with everything. I'd like solid reliable power and improved handling (which is evading me on this car) so if you have any pointers, speak up!

Thanks,
Matty

p.s. trying to post some pictures of my ride...where/how can I do that?!?!

volvo3.jpg

volvo2.jpg

volvo1.jpg

volvo4.jpg

volvo5.jpg

volvo6.jpg

volvo7.jpg

volvo8.jpg

Last edited:
That's a sharp 760T ya got there Super Matty P! Welcome to TB!

Last edited:
I forgot to mention it's a 1-owner (little old lady) all original, no accidents. I picked it up for $1k and haven't regretted a penny of it. Since buying it I've added a nice double-din cd/mp3 player and bought new speakers and a 4ch amp to go in it. Everything works, all power accessories like heated seats and sunroof.

I'm doing the "stage 0" mods right now. I just ordered $300 worth of everything to get it back up to tip-top. Once I get that knocked out I'm going to focus on a new 16g turbo and supporting hardware for it.

I'm really struggling to find any decent suspension bits for the 760. Plenty of good mods for the 740 though. I'm also having to hold off on ordering brakes until I can determine which calipers I have on the car. I've been too lazy to go take the wheels off.

Thanks, It runs like a champ. Just rolled 200k miles on it. I've been going through all the picture galleries getting ideas! I'm seeing a lot of stuff I like but I just don't know enough about these cars to tackle it on my own. It would be nice to have a big get-together sometime in the southeast and have a little wrench-turning party!

Whusup? Bessemer here. I'm free on sundays! I should have brought my LH chipping stuff with me. oh well.

Last edited:
You live in Bessemer now? I'm one of the managers at the Nissan dealer down the street! Next time I'm there you should come by. The car isn't driveable right now because it needs tires badly but we could get together at my place sometime and down a few beers and bruise a few knuckles.

I am here for a small work stint, till we leave back to georgia! Have we met at SE? :)

Is it moore nissan? I'm at the holiday inn off Academy. That's right down the street indeed! I'd come kick it sometime. I'm waiting on a friend to help me out on a ride!

Sweet 760. Nice price too! Take Bretts advice, - chips for sure to start. Bessemer?? (...my uncle lives there) .....and it's better than Eatonton!!! I'd leave on Sundays too! Yikes!!!

Good Luck with the new ride!

WOW! Absolutely beautiful car you've got there.:) That is one of the best looking original cars I have seen. Have fun, but I wouldn't mess up that originality in a lifetime. Stock=Awesome...Although..IPD suspension would be cool

I bet the PO/old lady only drove it to church on Sundays & it was downhill both ways.;-)

Thanks for the props. Here's the kicker: She traded it in because her mechanic (she didn't use our dealership) quoted her like $600 to fix the air conditioning. It was Alabama summer and she was fed up with it. We gave her $500 for it and she was tickled pink. At the time it had 190k on it. I buy it from the dealership and replace the blown AC fuse ($0.32) and the ac fires right up. Cold as new. Then i ditched the stock stereo for an upgraded head unit. I've bought new speakers all the way around but haven't gotten them installed yet because the OE units are riveted in.

Like I mentioned earlier my plan for it is to be a super clean beater with some sporting potential. Here's my tentative build list so far:

16g turbo
supporting fuel mods (injectors/pump)
chip / megasquirt
downpipe
obx catback
lowering springs (can't find ANYWHERE)
biggest sway bars possible
17" hyperblack Pegasus rims
new rotors
hawk pads. (or best available)

As far as cosmetics go I'm very big on gutted and spotless engine bays. There is a local wire-tuck guy near me who might be able to do a full tuck for me. I'd like to eliminate and simplify as much of the vaccuum tubing as possible. I have a buddy that does powdercoating and I'm going to have him do the calipers and a custom "swedish" valve cover for me. I may have to do some vinyl on the hood, roof and trunk lid to cover up the badly faded paint.

Other than that I'm just going to enjoy it. I'd like to be around 300hp and still have useable power for driving on the street without breaking the bank at the pump.

p.s. The reason I think I'm having trouble finding 760 specific suspension bits is because they are IRS set-ups aren't they?? All I'm really after are lowering springs (about 2") and some big sways. It has the "nivomat" suspension but everything still works so I don't see the need to replace it yet.

Back