• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Pulled over for license plate lights!

coonmanx

About two or three weeks ago I got a ticket for going 41 in a 30. The problem with that is the road is a four lane road that meets the on ramp to a highway. The speed limit seems pretty low at 30 mph. It was about 10:15 PM and I went around the corner not thinking about my speed too much until I saw the cop. Popped me for a ticket. I had not received a ticket in probably five years. I was truly pissed. The very next day I was driving on another street here in town where the limit is 45 and I get passed by someone doing 80. Now where is the cop? You won't get pulled over for 35 over but you will get a ticket for 11 over.

Anyway tonight I was going to see my son (who lives in the neighborhood where I received said speeding ticket) and I get pulled over while doing absolutely nothing. State Patrol in a neighborhood. I had no idea what he was pulling me over for so I asked him and he got pretty angry with me for that. License plate lights not working. Hell they have not worked since I have owned the car. This guy was just looking to pull people over. No ticket this time but I now feel like I have a target on my back (or the back of my car) every time I drive through that neighborhood.

Anyway, I guess that tomorrow I will be trying to get the license plate lights to work. How do I get to the bulbs? I have no idea if the wires to them even work. Thank God I finally hard wired the driver's side brake light. But any tips on getting the license plate lights to work would be appreciated.

Sorry for ranting about the cops but I just don't trust them anymore. You try to do the right thing and get pulled over anyway. Tonight I got pretty freaked out because I was driving especially careful and I knew that I had done nothing wrong. I really can't afford another ticket right now.

I get pulled over while doing absolutely nothing. State Patrol in a neighborhood. I had no idea what he was pulling me over for so I asked him and he got pretty angry with me for that. License plate lights not working. Hell they have not worked since I have owned the car. This guy was just looking to pull people over. No ticket this time but I now feel like I have a target on my back (or the back of my car) every time I drive through that neighborhood.

Sorry for ranting about the cops but I just don't trust them anymore. You try to do the right thing and get pulled over anyway. Tonight I got pretty freaked out because I was driving especially careful and I knew that I had done nothing wrong. I really can't afford another ticket right now.
WTF??? You admit to knowingly running with an equipment violation as long as you have had the car, that is hardly their fault.
Everyone driving a car should understand a bulb out is a profile/DUI check me free neon sign on your car, and should be fixed straight away unless you really do not care about getting pulled over, and can afford the fines for whatever you have in the car.

Look, I know that it's not their fault but that doesn't mean that it isn't petty. I never really thought about those lights in the past eight and a half years that I have owned the car. I can barely remember that I had some sort of issue with them when I bought the car. I will check into them tomorrow for sure. But as much crazy **** that I see in this town all of the time you think that the cops might pull people over for real crimes like street racing through traffic, running red lights or making right hand turns from the left lane. Do they really need to bother me all of the time? To serve and protect? Really? If the cops actually wrote tickets for the lunatics maybe this town wouldn't be in such deep fiscal doo doo. Tonight I was doing a delivery and I looked up to see some jerk in a Honda passing traffic in the turn lane at about 100 miles per hour. Somebody pulls out onto the street and it's a major wreck.

You are right that a bulb out is an easy excuse for them to pull someone over. I really need to find a new route to my son's house. Funny thing is my windshield has a huge crack in it and I have never had any issue with that at all.

Any tips on getting to those bulbs for replacement? I guess that I'll just figure it out tomorrow.

I don't have the fingers and toes to count the times I've been stopped for nothing, I just figured it was their SOP.

Ny bulbs come right out with a screwdriver, but I have a 7, so YMMV.

Thanks for the link vlvman. Hopefully I don't have any wiring issues. And apologies again for the rant. Just had to blow off some steam. I live right next to an intersection where people stop right in the middle of it and when the light turns green (in the other direction) they are blocking cross traffic. I have called the police to get some enforcement but they refuse to do anything. They just don't care.

I told my son that I will probably just get my driver's license, insurance and registration out before I drive to his house. That way I will be prepared ahead of time. The State Patrol cop who stopped me tonight actually gave me his card and it says that I should call their office with comments. I know that he meant well and was just doing his job but he still freaked me out. My hands were literally shaking when I went to put my license back in my wallet. When I was leaving my son's house I saw that he had someone else pulled over. He really was just driving around and pulling people over. Maybe next time he will pull me over just to say "Thanks for driving safely".

My wife was pulled over for license plate lights when she drove a Tercel, no fine, no big deal, we didn't even notice those lights were out.

Cop was probably bored out of his mind and trying to stay awake on the night shift, but made sure the car wasnt stolen and that she wasn't intoxicated, good on him. He was also nice, likely because my wife is relentlessly pleasant.

That neighborhood for some reason is where I see all of the cops. I can drive 20 miles across town and not see a single cop. But if I go to that neighborhood to visit a friend or my son I inevitably see at least one cop. It is county there so I usually see the Sheriff's department vehicles. I was a bit surprised to see State Patrol tonight. Aren't they usually out on the highway? Almost a year ago I got pulled over by a State Patrol car on the same street. The guy was in an unmarked car and followed me for probably ten blocks before pulling me over. I couldn't figure out why I was being tailgated for so long so I sped up a bit to get him off of my ass. Next thing you know he pulls me over and says that I was speeding. Didn't get a ticket however.

I wonder if there is a donut shop nearby where they get free coffee...

OP: You driving a Hooptie that makes you a target?

Hint: Cracked windshield.... Bulbs that are out.... Erratic driving to get Deputy doughnut 'off your ass' all paint a great big target on your backside.

Adjust your attitude! Deputy Doughnut pulls you over..... DO have Liscense, Registration and proof of insurance at the ready with a smile and winning attitude for him/her. Be of good cheer when speaking with the Police. They are all human beings with a job to do. You got their attention for a reason. Smile and wave to them as you go by in the future. There is certainly no reason for you to end up all shaky for being pissed off at the cops. What do you suppose the cops are going to think when they encounter you soooooo wound up that you are shaking? Were I a cop I'd be inclined to look closer and verify that you're not doing drugs, drunk, hiding something.

I've had many encounters with the Police over the years. They have let me go many many times for many offenses (some quite colorful! :rofl:) cuz I do not 'fail the attitude test.' When pulled over and I'm asked..... "How fast were you going?" If I was doing 79 in that 70 I tell him so. When I lit 'em up through first second and third and only noticed that he was (three long blocks back) coming after me as I am making the 3-4 shift I was seated on the trunk with all that he would ask for when he finally arrived. :roll: When he asks "Do you know why I pulled you over?" and I am stumped..... (rare) I say so. I've never been pulled over 'At Random.' I do recall being held up at a long line of cars where the Po-Po were checking everyone for DUI. Hint: Don't drive after drinking. Ever.

Everyone driving a car should understand a bulb out is a profile/DUI check me free neon sign on your car, and should be fixed straight away...

Truer words have not been spoken. Probable cause.

The sedan tag lights are a real challenge, because even the genuine Volvo replacements are Lucas-Like (reliable as a wickless candle), and the originals probably have a rusted spring clip retainer that will disintegrate even if you know how to remove them correctly. The $9 aftermarket lamps are trash, but if you are detail oriented, can be made to work.

@JohnLane it is easy for you to say have a winning attitude when getting pulled over but maybe you are not in my situation. As I said before I had been out of work for about 18 months before finally taking a part time job delivering Chinese food. I could be one ticket away from not buying food for my son or even paying the rent and ending up on the street. Now you tell me if you would be nervous getting pulled over when you know that you were driving like Mother Teresa. I used to even try and help the cops out by going down to the cop shop and filling out the forms that say where you saw people speeding. Didn't matter one bit. I drive across town 12 miles one way each morning to take my son to school. As usual this morning I was bothered by aggressive drivers and tailgaters all in a hurry to get nowhere. Any cops around?

Probable cause is one of those things that the cops can come up with on the spot. Last night for whatever reason it was a license plate light. I have no idea if those things will even work at all. As cleanframetrap said connections get crappy on old Volvos and things just don't work right. I take pride in making sure that my car is mechanically sound and not a deathtrap out there on the road. But a license plate light really has no bearing on safety. The only reason it would be any issue at all would be if I were out committing a crime and someone couldn't see my license plate number because of the light.

BTW, I do always have my information at the ready. And I am always honest with the cops as well. Seems to be the best policy. But last time I was honest I still got a $67 ticket. Hadn't had a ticket in five years and I thought the cop might give me a break. But he didn't. I take full responsibility for that one as I was not paying attention for a few seconds and I was speeding. Can't cry over spilled milk.

I did call the State Patrol office this morning and voice my concern. He did give me the card after all and it says to contact their office with any comments. But you tell me, who is a greater danger on the road? Me driving slowly through a neighborhood or a Honda at full throttle passing cars in the turn lane at 100 mph in an area where cars merge into traffic? This one is a no brainer.

Will take a look at those lights later today when the sun comes out and it warms up a bit.

But a license plate light really has no bearing on safety. The only reason it would be any issue at all would be if I were out committing a crime and someone couldn't see my license plate number because of the light.

Correct. Not your safety issue. Potentially the officer's safety.

For those same economic reasons you cite, some are supplementing their income with theft and burglaries, so if the cops are hanging around a neighborhood more than usual, looking for excuses to stop drivers, it may not be limited to catching traffic law violators. And be careful on those deliveries -- you know pizza drivers have been duped and robbed.

OP: You driving a Hooptie that makes you a target?

Hint: Cracked windshield.... Bulbs that are out.... Erratic driving to get Deputy doughnut 'off your ass' all paint a great big target on your backside.

Adjust your attitude! Deputy Doughnut pulls you over..... DO have Liscense, Registration and proof of insurance at the ready with a smile and winning attitude for him/her. Be of good cheer when speaking with the Police. They are all human beings with a job to do. You got their attention for a reason. Smile and wave to them as you go by in the future. There is certainly no reason for you to end up all shaky for being pissed off at the cops. What do you suppose the cops are going to think when they encounter you soooooo wound up that you are shaking? Were I a cop I'd be inclined to look closer and verify that you're not doing drugs, drunk, hiding something.

I've had many encounters with the Police over the years. They have let me go many many times for many offenses (some quite colorful! :rofl:) cuz I do not 'fail the attitude test.' When pulled over and I'm asked..... "How fast were you going?" If I was doing 79 in that 70 I tell him so. When I lit 'em up through first second and third and only noticed that he was (three long blocks back) coming after me as I am making the 3-4 shift I was seated on the trunk with all that he would ask for when he finally arrived. :roll: When he asks "Do you know why I pulled you over?" and I am stumped..... (rare) I say so. I've never been pulled over 'At Random.' I do recall being held up at a long line of cars where the Po-Po were checking everyone for DUI. Hint: Don't drive after drinking. Ever.

This.

While it sucks to be broke, unemployed, and with a slightly busted car, don't give the cops a reason to pull ya over. Although it'll cost ya a few bucks to get your license plat bulb workin, this'll be cheaper for ya in the long run. It is after all the law... and he is a law enforcement officer....

Maybe ya can fight the ticket --- calmly and concisely writing letters tends to help.

Didn't get a ticket first off. But it was obvious that the guy was just looking for a reason to pull me over. I now have the new bulbs in but that does not mean they won't find a new reason to pull me over. I simply do not trust them. The only thing that is "busted" on my car right now is the big dent that was left by a Tahoe pulling an illegal U-turn in order to T-bone me.

I even called the cops today to notify them of the situation at my local intersection that is constantly being blocked by careless drivers. I have spoken with both traffic engineering and the cops about this intersection before but as long as nobody is getting killed they don't care. However, each day many drivers violate the law there with impunity. Today I even took it one step farther by notifying a local TV station about the intersection. Let's see what happens.

Anyway the lights are fixed so now they will have to find another excuse to hassle me.

No we don't have state inspection. LOL. Colorado.

OP: When you encounter the Police.... You can only make it worse for yourself with being all wound up! Practice breathing if it helps. Rehearse how it will go if need be. Don't fret about it. You will encounter the Police again. It happens and at times seems not fair. Life is not fair.

I'm going to assume that you are polite and respectful of the Police. Otherwise we would likely be reading of your ride in a Police car wouldn't we!

As to the reality that Road-Ragey SOBs in their Honduhs are doing D-U-M Dumb ish....... rest assured that had Deputy doughnut seen it he/she would have been on that as white on rice which would likely have kept you from getting to have a nice visit with the State-Po.

Hang in there! For your Son and you!

It's all good and I just had to vent. I will be driving through the same neighborhood tonight but I just might start varying my route a bit. They always seem to hang out on this one street so I think I will just take another route. The thing is that we as drivers do have rights. But the cops wield the power. And if they want to cherry you up they will. It is as simple as that in the end.

Now I have to go install some new covers on those license plate lights. Mine look all burned or something so I went to the local pull and pay and got some better ones. I want them to be blindingly bright!

Here in Missouri, they do not check license plate lights during a safety inspection. But the law will use it as an excuse to pull you over. I have been pulled over in the GF's car because the officer wanted to know what the custom plates stood for: SQRLYB = nickname.

Back