• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

B230 into a 960

The 960 suspension is inherently difficult to modify. I suggest finding a 940 turbo and doing a front end swap. It is a much easier solution and you can do it all by yourself without an engine hoist.

The 960 suspension is inherently difficult to modify. I suggest finding a 940 turbo and doing a front end swap. It is a much easier solution and you can do it all by yourself without an engine hoist.

You neglect to inform him that the interior of the 960 is a million times better than the 940...and the dash is incredibly hard to swap.

The cluters are the same. Both have the same climate control systems. The only things that are really different are the seats, doors/door cards, and dash (shape).

Two of those three are easy to swap. It's his call really. But I'd swap a front end, doors, and seats over an engine, transmission, and rear subframe any day. :e-shrug:

Steering column, sunroof. The tilt steering is a deal breaker. I miss having that in my 940. The 960 also has much better sound insulation. If you take one completely apart, you will see what I mean.

Just keep the 960 a 960. If you find one with a blown engine, give it a shot, but honestly the Motoronic engine management is pretty well wired in with the rest of the electrics in the car.

Steering column, sunroof. The tilt steering is a deal breaker. I miss having that in my 940. The 960 also has much better sound insulation. If you take one completely apart, you will see what I mean.

Yep... a lot of wiring harnesses wrapped in that sticky foam, and insulation stuffed into places I never even knew existed.

Are the 960/V90 engine wiring harnesses pretty integrated into everything else? Any difference in using a early 95 960 vs 98 V90? Or would you be able to make a 940SE harness work in a 1995 960?

I've been mulling over acquiring another 960 wagon but want to do something that will make it a little more faster/fun than the regular straight 6. B234FT or S80/V90 turbo swap? LS?

The engine bay wiring on a 95 and newer 960 is completely different from any 940. The entire engine harness plugs into the engine bay fuse box. The ECU and transmission connectors are also completely different. You would have one heck of a lot of wiring to do to swap in a 4 cylinder LH 2.4 power plant.

Keep all the stock computer crap and MS it?

Turbo the 960 engine like Peter did. The 6 cylinder breathes so much better than the 4 cylinder. They run smooth as glass. A turbocharged 2.9 is going to smoke any 4 cylinder you can fit in the engine bay.

If I was gonna put a redblock in a 960, I'd just leave the 960 wires and add a 240 LH2.4 harness.. Done..

Yep, that would make an incredibly simple conversion. Since it would be a redblock, the trans would not need anything to control it. I just think a 2.3 redblock in a 960 is not enough engine for a car that heavy.

You neglect to inform him that the interior of the 960 is a million times better than the 940...and the dash is incredibly hard to swap.

The dash doesn't swap. In the 960 the firewall member doubles as the air duct. If you look at the defroster vents in a 1988+ 760 or any 960 you'll see what I mean.

Yep, that would make an incredibly simple conversion. Since it would be a redblock, the trans would not need anything to control it. I just think a 2.3 redblock in a 960 is not enough engine for a car that heavy.

About three years ago there was a 960 in the Foster Road P-n-P which had been converted to a B230FT. No, it wasn't a 940SE it was a 960.

Back