• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Do i REALLY need $200 Konis for a low 240?

91racked

I got the IPD sport springs for my 91 240.

I know I need a better strut, that has a shorter shaft so it doesn't bottom out.

I hear Koni's are the best. buuut.. they're also a bit pricey... Now, i'm going to save up for a set, but until then..

Is there anything compatible with the short springs that ISN'T 200 bucks a pop?

Or should I just wait and save?

Also: I know I'm going to end up with a stiff/harsh ride. I don't care. Because race car.

Last edited:
What are you goals for the car? If you ar just going low for the sake of low, ride out on whatever is in the car currently.

If you are going for a weekend warrior type of deal, Koni's are great. I find the Billy HD's to be great for a daily, and the Koni's are manageable.

If you're going full monty "because race car" there are better options.

Budget and anticipated use are going to dictate a lot of what you Should be using.

Do lots of people bottom out on IPD sport springs? I'm waaaaay lower and don't really hit the stops.

Just going to throw in there that I have been extremely happy with my koni's. Ease of install and included gland nut included.
And they perform awesome as far as my plebeian ignorant butt can tell.

I have IPD lowering springs and stock struts and shocks. My junk has been fine.

I have the same set up, My plan is/was to get the car running and driving so that I can make changes to it with out guessing. I knew I wanted the IPD springs and have heard about the difference between koni and billys so I wanted to drive it first to help me decide.

After driving it around (500 plus miles so far) its a tad bit bouncy in the rear over whoop type bumps. The ride is a little soft for being a lowered car. Although it soaks up pot holes very nice. Not as good as my stock 240 does, but you can't expect it to be.

At this point I am thinking dollar for dollar and daily driving the Billys will be just fine.

you don't need anything really..

Except oxygen, water and occasional food and shelter.

But other stuff is nice to have from time to time as well.

Back to the topic;

Koni or Billy shocks may provide a better ride. I don't know, as I've never used them. But you can use the stock shocks with IPD springs. Will it be the best ride ever? I don't know, but you won't die from it.

When you had the struts disassembled, did you check for a spacer in the tube?

It's been a while since I've even worked on Volvos so my memory is foggy on this. But, it seems that occasionally there would be inserted in the end of the strut tube a small metal bushing for adapting certain inserts.

Anyway, buy whatever makes you happy. I suggested Bilsteins because I am a lifelong fan. YMMV

The spacer is welded in on the later stut tubes.

So options are cheap basic Bilstein B4, KYB etc
Koni or GAZ without spending time grinding out the spacer

Back