• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Fender rolling

Really, this again? *le sigh*

It is possible to roll 240, 740, and 940 fenders with that roller. I've done 7s and 9s with my eastwood style roller many times. I've also helped with one 240 using the same roller (I started but the brakes were dragging so I passed it off to someone with more muscle). It was a pain but it worked fine without cutting anything.

The key here is to start by rolling the lip upward before trying to fold it out. Here's my handy info graphic from last time this came up:

fenderrolling.png

the only good thing about cutting vs rolling is that when you roll it breaks the paint at the edge and it will eventually chip away if there is rubbing (even if you are careful and apply heat while rolling). Cutting is better for preserving paint in my experience

Yes, I used that very tool as well.

Oh, and I just cut some of the front liner out. I haven't driven the car for a couple of years, and don't recall exactly - too lazy to take pics now.

Last edited:
I cut my rears with a cutting wheel about every 1/2-3/4" and used good ol' ballpeen (best hammer name besides Mjolnir) to bend them over, I intend at some point to go back and weld all the slots up.

You should weld them up before they propagate cracks in the unibody.

that tool is nice if you doing it often for others but I used a wood Bat and a 5 lb hammer.

That's basically how I did it on my old 140 - used a piece of pipe horizontally between fender and tire, a couple of people sitting on the trunk lid, and rolled the car forward to allow the piece of pipe to roll.

Now I would just fit whatever tire can fit without modification, because I can't out drive good stock width tires on the street without losing my licence anyway. ; )

Last edited:
Did this on my 242 and it came out beautiful. I used sheet aluminum. Perfect clearance with 235/40-17s pushed out to the fenders. And it can even bottom out without any rub.
Dave B

Attachments

• 240fender.jpg
    240fender.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 124
If anyone is interested in renting out the Eastwood roller, let me know.
I'll provide a deposit and pay shipping of course.
My son needs to roll his 79 242 and I'm concerned about cracking old body and paint work.

http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=290558

I really think the roller is the way to go because you can work the metal rather than just fold it up.

I've got one you can rent. PM me for details.

Sadly the the mono locks sold. I do have the Oliver's and is totally hook you up. I sent you a fb message but it might not have gotten there. I'll be in Seattle the middle of next month for the Glitch Mob, so we'll have to meet up.

Back