• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Differences between 83-85 fenders and 80-82 fenders

t8fanning

8v are still cool, right?
I'm changing my commando bumpers to a set of 83-85 bumpers. I've read as many threads as I could find about it, but mostly they talk about trim. I have a full set of 83-85 turbo trim I will use, but I want to make sure my bumpers are aligned properly before drilling for trim clips.

I'm not worried about the rear bumper as all brackets bolt up to preexisting holes in the body.

My question is what are the differences between my 82 fenders and 83-85 fenders besides trim holes? More specifically, what are the differences in hole location for the front bumper side support brackets? Is the side support hole on 83-85 fenders higher than the side support hole for the commandos?

I put the 83-85 bumpers on my 82. The only difference was the holes for the plastic side support had to be drilled. If you are putting the newer fenders on then you won't need to drill those holes. Of course the trim between the body and bumper, too as you know.

I put the 83-85 bumpers on my 82. The only difference was the holes for the plastic side support had to be drilled. If you are putting the newer fenders on then you won't need to drill those holes. Of course the trim between the body and bumper, too as you know.

Thanks. I'm not putting newer fenders on, still using my 82 fenders.

Did you drill holes for the secondary alignment bump on the plastic side supports or are you talking about the main hole for the bolt to pass through?

If you're talking about the main hole for bolt pass through, do you remember where you drilled the hole relative to the commando side support hole?

There are two holes you will have to make on the sides of the fender for the plastic side supports. It's been a long time but if i recall correctly you will have to slot one of the holes for a location tab. The other hole holds the bracket with a small 10mm head bolt. I made measurements from the front edge of the fender and from the bottom.

To find the location of where you wanted the hole, did you make the bumper cover level with the body line or some other method?

I was lucky. I had fenders from a car so I could measure. But that was long ago and I lost the measurements. If you have nothing to work from that is a good approach. You want the ends level as you describe. The holes will be covered by the bumper and the bracket so you could give yourself a bit of wiggle room and use a large fender washer under the head of the bolt. Also don't forget you will need the braces that run to the body from the inside of the fender.

Or, drive up to the Seattle area after iPd and do the bumper conversion up here. lha1992 has a 1984 244Ti that he's going to be parting out. Has a complete 1983-85 front clip in 19 black. Fenders, lower tie bar of the core support, everything you need to do the swap and have it actually look like a 1983 242, instead of the usual TB "let's swap newer bumpers onto an older car" conversion.

Back