• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Anyone running a KLR cam?

nitroboie

Curious if anyone is running any of the KL Racing turbo camshafts. I noticed the company popping up in threads about people wanting 3" downpipes and/or intercoolers and noticed they also made camshafts. They seem reasonable at about $123 before shipping.

Specs below:
name/duration/lift/LSA
T1...268...11.20mm...114
T2...280...11.30mm...112
T3...280...12.15mm...112
T4...298...11.50mm...108
T5...300...12.90mm...108

https://shop.klracing.se/sv/artiklar/motor-_-tuning/motor-delar/kamaxlar/kamaxlar-volvo/index.html

I think a few people have used them. I haven't but I just wanted to mention the reason some cam makers have lower prices is that the cam is a regrind on a smaller base circle so you may have to buy a few more things like lash caps to use the cam. Nothing wrong with that but you wouldn't want to forget to buy the lash caps.

KLR T3 looks like a nice turbo cam, looks comparable to a V16.

I will try one in near future.

These do require lash caps, it's all specified on their website.
I was wondering how do you install these lash caps? Have to take the valves off?

The lash caps go on the tip of the valve. Remove shim and bucket, plop lash cap on the top of the valve stem, reinstall the bucket and reshim the cam.

Not only will hushers not work, if you're thinking of running a cam like a KL, you stopped caring about valvetrain noise years ago.

Curious if anyone is running any of the KL Racing turbo camshafts. I noticed the company popping up in threads about people wanting 3" downpipes and/or intercoolers and noticed they also made camshafts. They seem reasonable at about $123 before shipping.

Specs below:
name/duration/lift/LSA
T1...268...11.20mm...114
T2...280...11.30mm...112
T3...280...12.15mm...112
T4...298...11.50mm...108
T5...300...12.90mm...108

https://shop.klracing.se/sv/artiklar/motor-_-tuning/motor-delar/kamaxlar/kamaxlar-volvo/index.html
Also keep in mind that the T1 and T2 aren't going to be much or any "better" than an IPD Turbo cam(better depends on your goals and usage). The T3 is going to be a step up in performance, though, with the normal trade-offs.

There is another thread recently where someone was talking about one of these cams in their car. Scan the recent Performance threads.

I'm that person :)

I have an S5/T5 in my 240 racecar. 11.5:1 compression, mild port 530 head B230. Mind you when they say race only, they *mean* race only. It doesn't idle below 1200rpm.

The bigger cams (t4/t5) need all kinds of stuff other than just the cam. That means higher compression, maybe a shorter timing belt, adjustable cam gear, lash caps, intake, exhaust, etc. There's also a pretty decent chance that LH would either handle it poorly, or not be able to handle it at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcfO0hk3x4Q

Here's the other thread, by the way: http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=341072
I'm that person :)

I have an S5/T5 in my 240 racecar. 11.5:1 compression, mild port 530 head B230. Mind you when they say race only, they *mean* race only. It doesn't idle below 1200rpm.

The bigger cams (t4/t5) need all kinds of stuff other than just the cam. That means higher compression, maybe a shorter timing belt, adjustable cam gear, lash caps, intake, exhaust, etc. There's also a pretty decent chance that LH would either handle it poorly, or not be able to handle it at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcfO0hk3x4Q
How much is shaved off the head and did you do any combustion chamber modifications?

Stock headgasket or MLS?

What are your valve clearances? I'd ask them if they think there will be any issues if you set them looser than their recommended .35mm because it definitely will have better idle and off idle characteristics if you could run closer to .4mm(.016") or even closer to .5mm(.020"). Low rpm torque would increase to some extent, I'm not sure when the cross-over would occur when the benefit outweighs the negative. That being said though, you're building an endurance race car so you probably don't want to be shifting at 7,500rpm the whole time.

KLR is only one cylinder, you might have to weld a few together to make it work on a redlbock.
:rofl:

I took off 0.090"=2.25mm. Just a little bit of cleanup, no serious work to the chamber. Stock gasket. All done and told I think it comes out to around 11.5:1.

I think I shimmed it around 16-17 thou. I know I got all cylinders within a thou of each other. I'm already using the smallest shims available, and had to hand lap the lash caps down a few thou each to get it in spec. So if I want to go looser the cam and buckets have to come back out, and I'll have to lap (or maybe mill) more off of the lash caps.

Ah, ok. That or have some taken off the valves. None of which are easy. Or get 1mm thinner lash caps? And we have shims as thin as 3.4mm I think at the shop if you don’t have any that thin. You can also order them for '60s-80's Fiat motors in a wider range of thicknesses than you can for the Volvos.

Last edited:
Also keep in mind that the T1 and T2 aren't going to be much or any "better" than an IPD Turbo cam(better depends on your goals and usage). The T3 is going to be a step up in performance, though, with the normal trade-offs.

There is another thread recently where someone was talking about one of these cams in their car. Scan the recent Performance threads.

Unless any one is opposed, I am going to try a KL racing T1. I want a cam that has high end power like a V-cam but can handle cruising at 2k revs without having to shift down, which needs to be done in the V cam. I think the T1 will do this. The low lift probably means less overlap and quicker turbo spool. The wide LSA means higher rev range. The IPD cam has a massive 32 degree overlap.
The It looks like the IPD turbo and Enem V15 power band flattens a little over 5k. Although I am sure I would like how they work, I have seen a comment where someone has gone from the IPD to the Enem V16 and loves the V16 most. The KLR-T1 has similar specs to the V16 but with lower valve lift which should mean less overlap and better low end torque and turbo spool.

The exciting part of driving with the V cam is the power continues increasing at a steady rate from 3k all the way to the 6k limiter. It is only missing driveability at 2k.

I'm not going for super power 180 to 200HP is all I need to have fun street driving..

My friend's +T'd 244 has a KLR T2 cam and it idles pretty rough, much lumpier than my V15 or the K cam in the race car. Their duration figures are probably measured at the same lift as ENEM does it, although it's hard to say without having measured one myself. Compare their T1 to ENEM V16, then.

From personal experience. With an enem V15 turbo cam. There is no 'flattening of the power' at high rpms. My engine makes power from just above idle to 7k rpms. It still has more to go but for the sake of the valve springs. I stop at about 7k rpm.

Use a KLR S/T4 with 3mm caps on a N/A B230E (kjet) on my track days Volvo 360.
Just love it, pull hard all day long, try to to go past 7200rpm (stock engine except cam).

I think I shimmed it around 16-17 thou. I know I got all cylinders within a thou of each other. I'm already using the smallest shims available, and had to hand lap the lash caps down a few thou each to get it in spec. So if I want to go looser the cam and buckets have to come back out, and I'll have to lap (or maybe mill) more off of the lash caps.
Do you remember how thick the lash caps were, out of curiosity?

Unless any one is opposed, I am going to try a KL racing T1. I want a cam that has high end power like a V-cam but can handle cruising at 2k revs without having to shift down, which needs to be done in the V cam. I think the T1 will do this. The low lift probably means less overlap and quicker turbo spool. The wide LSA means higher rev range. The IPD cam has a massive 32 degree overlap.
The It looks like the IPD turbo and Enem V15 power band flattens a little over 5k. Although I am sure I would like how they work, I have seen a comment where someone has gone from the IPD to the Enem V16 and loves the V16 most. The KLR-T1 has similar specs to the V16 but with lower valve lift which should mean less overlap and better low end torque and turbo spool.

The exciting part of driving with the V cam is the power continues increasing at a steady rate from 3k all the way to the 6k limiter. It is only missing driveability at 2k.

I'm not going for super power 180 to 200HP is all I need to have fun street driving..
Advance your V cam 2-4 degrees and be done with it, especially if you already have it. The IPD Turbo cam is a baby cam, but yes, larger than a V cam. That T1 cam will likely not perform like you think it will.

From personal experience. With an enem V15 turbo cam. There is no 'flattening of the power' at high rpms. My engine makes power from just above idle to 7k rpms. It still has more to go but for the sake of the valve springs. I stop at about 7k rpm.
You have a B21 with a mildly ported 405 head and all of those factors makes the V15T pull to higher rpm than a comparable B23/B230 with a stock 530 head. However, I would still say a V15T will pull to 6k rpm in a 2.3L/530 equipped engine just fine.

Use a KLR S/T4 with 3mm caps on a N/A B230E (kjet) on my track days Volvo 360.
Just love it, pull hard all day long, try to to go past 7200rpm (stock engine except cam).
Sounds fun! B23E, maybe? 405 head and smaller dished or flat topped pistons in that engine, too.

Thanks Kyle. That little B21 sure does love making high rpm power. It took me floating the valves and dropping intake no.2 from a broken retainer to finally install the 405 head. :cool:

Back