• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

ESM 002R 16" Wheels...Redrill for 5x108?

45 threads on ESM wheels..... might want to search and read a few of them.

One would think the manufacture wouldn't redrill if not structurally sound. Other rims are often redrilled, depends on the rims.

16x8 ET20 will work. On the rear with a 245/45/16, the axle had to be centered to not rub and it still would rub the inner fender with articulation up driveways. Works OK though.

I also used 16x8 ET0 with 205/50/16 (pretty small tire on a 240).

Ideally I'd want about 10-15mm offset on an 8" wheel, but 0-20mm range works so you'll be OK.

I've used aluminum centering rings from 65.1 to 67.x mm, worked out just fine.

Thanks for the replies. I did both a forum and google search (site: turbobricks.com ESM wheels) and didn't really come up with much, hence my post.

If I go this route I would likely use a 225/50/16 tire with the appropriate centering rings. That gives me about the same overall rolling diameter as the 245/45/16, but less likely to rub. I can get BF Goodrich g-Force Sport Comp-2s in this size. I have these on my son's 240 with 17-in. IPD Pegasus replicas and they are a decent compromise tire. Those damn reps are heavy as @#$% though!

Any issues with autox'ing a re-drilled wheel? There are not many good mesh alternatives out there in 5 lug that don't require adapters. There are a few sets of old school 15/16-in BBS/BBS style wheels locally, but they are very low offset wheels from older muscle cars...plus the lug patterns are not right.

I'd use them. But can't they drill them with just one pattern, or do they not offer that?

Consider Continental DW as well. $7 more per tire, same treadwear as those BFGs, and they get favorable reviews, especially in the wet/rain. Often used in the rain for autocross...makes me want them on my daily driver. I have a set of 16x7.5 ET15 TSWs that will get a set next spring for daily use.

I got 009r's sitting in my garage. I had a great experience with ESM by the way. Those are 5x108 et20 16x8. I ordered what was specified on the website, and 5 minutes later I got a phone call from them saying that all they had was 57.1CB. They gave me a cheaper deal to have them machined then they usually charge and were very friendly and apologetic. Rims look good for what I paid. Have yet to put tires on them, but like Towery said, center that rear, because with tires it's close, not bad but close.

It really depends on the casting/forging and if they left material behind the wall where you'd drill. I've seen a lot of OEM rims that are cast with cutouts in those areas. If they are flat, then you should be good to go. I'm grabbing a set of BBS Rs's off a bmw that have been redrilled, so as long as it's same material behind, then good to go.

If they will drill them ^, then that's amazing. They are good rims, and a great size for the real world (16x8).

I have a set of their Type-A replica, 15x8 et10, with a 225/50 Khumo. Sit maybe 1/4" away from the front struts and barely tuck inside the rear arches - I'd be concerned et20 wouldn't fit, but I'm sure an extra inch in diameter changes things. Mine were a 5x100 VW pattern redrilled to 5x108, got lucky since they bored out the 57.1 VW bore to 65.1

Their casting doesn't have any cutouts on the back side (take out your rotor set screws!!!!).

+1 on buying from them, had a similar experience to centason.

Thanks for all the feedback.

84.242 since mine would be et20, wouldn't they theoretically be further inboard (i.e. away from fender) than et10? Although it sounds like fronts might be problematic if et10 sits that close to the strut tubes...and et20 would actually be closer.

I am looking at a set of Trans Am wheels later this week, which make the offset issue even more challenging (staggered et16 front, et0 rear) on 16x8 with a bolt pattern that requires an adapter. But I found a post where someone is fitting them to a 740 with 20mm (or 25mm) adapters. Not sure if the fender/strut clearance is even close to the same between a 240 and a 740. Wheels look very cool (gold mesh with polished lips) but if 240 is a fitment issue I'll keep to the ESM route.

Okay so I had to get these since they were $297

Mockup...

Closeup with the big honkin' center cap

Overall a bit dirty and in need of lip polishing. One wheel has a few gouges. These will be fun to clean...ugh.

I am going to get Motorsport-tech.com to make up some custom spacer/adapters. I'm thinking 25mm in front but as thin as I can go in rear...maybe 18mm? I'll have them match the hub center bore in the inside, and match the wheel center bore on the outside. I believe the Volvo center bore is 65.1mm. Will have to do my homework to figure out the GTA bore.

These wheels were made in Japan. I'm thinking they are some variant of Epsilon Southern Ways. Pretty cool.

Will you be updating here as you figure out the fitment? Or do you have another build thread on here? I'm on the hunt for a nice affordable setup for my car... I'd be interested to see how this works out for you.

Wheels are on the car

Got adapters from Motorsport-tech.com

5x108 bolt pattern, 65.1 bore to 120.7 bolt pattern, 70.3 bore
19mm thick (required trimming of studs)

Tires are 205-50-16 BFG G-Force Sport Comp2

Wheels from late 80s Trans AM GTA rear fitment 16x8 ET16 (not running staggered, still have the 16x8 ET0 front wheels)

Required trimming of rear fenders and alignment of rear axle with IPD adjustable panhard. Probably going to add a bit of front camber when I get car aligned to reduce front poke.

Overall big improvement in handling and setup is VERY LIGHT. Rear end especially likes the reduction in unsprung weight.

Damn, petebee sitting on chrome AND gold...looks ****en rad.

Wheels are on the car

Got adapters from Motorsport-tech.com

5x108 bolt pattern, 65.1 bore to 120.7 bolt pattern, 70.3 bore
19mm thick (required trimming of studs)

Tires are 205-50-16 BFG G-Force Sport Comp2

Wheels from late 80s Trans AM GTA rear fitment 16x8 ET16 (not running staggered, still have the 16x8 ET0 front wheels)

Required trimming of rear fenders and alignment of rear axle with IPD adjustable panhard. Probably going to add a bit of front camber when I get car aligned to reduce front poke.

Overall big improvement in handling and setup is VERY LIGHT. Rear end especially likes the reduction in unsprung weight.

Sweet! I really like the Motorsport Tech adapters. Had 5x114 and now 5x120. Just wish they were anodized... After less than a year, the rears have corrosion.

Back