• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

DUAL SWAYBARS (**everything you need to know**)

I wondered if this would work 3 years ago, I too try to think out of the box and try things that I have not seen before and or work with what ya got and a tight budget. BRAVO! Simply BRAVO. The only thing that worries me about this is: I have(and others according to IPD) broken 2 end links on 2 Volvos with the 25mm IPD swaybars.Two sway bars has GOT to be more stress on the swaybar end link than set of 1 IPD25mm sways. Not dissing your set-up here, not at all, it is very good thinking IMHO. Just really think a bigger diameter(not much room to increase diameter on swaybar end of EL),so maybe grade 8 material? Please consider upgrading your end link & make it stronger. I know from personal experience, when end link breaks in the curve you have "thrown" the car in, it gets SCARY real quick!! As far as pulling inside wheel off pavement, my 25 mm IPD sways would take enough weight off inside rear tire ,as to make spinning VERY easy in corner, and this was with 79 245 B21(with 500,000+ miles on engine) normally aspirated engine, so you may pull wheel of ground with this set up, rear anyway. This is really cool, because I thought it would work, when I was thinking of it. Did not know it had been done already!! It is "Marvelous,Simply Marvelous"!! You deserve a standing ovation in my book!! Dave Barton too, I suppose. I got 3 sets of stock sways,hhmmmm. I really like this idea, Aspirator!! Really good write up & pics too!

Last edited:
Would there be a difference in the handling/function between the two variations shown above? One with the bars about touching and the other with the bigger space and the modified end link..

If you like deformed brackets and bushings, you know which one to follow.

Would there be a difference in the handling/function between the two variations shown above? One with the bars about touching and the other with the bigger space and the modified end link..

I'd like to think that the closer they are, the more it'd be like a single big bar vs two small bars... but I'm not expert. I just went with 2x 19mm, far from big bars but it's still an improvement, plus it only cost $13 vs $50 for a 23mm. Have an extra pair of end links on hand in case you want/need to run the extended/ground off ones.

Re-did my duals this weekend. Went from 19x2 -> 23x1 -> 23x2. Just an FYI, two bars are stiffer than an equivalent single. My 23's arrived Wednesday, but I put a single 23 on Thursday to compare... nearly ended up in a ditch on a familiar turn I take. Added the other 23 this morning and things are like they were before, but better! The thing I like about dual bars is the overall stiffness... it's a difference you can feel as soon as you back out of the driveway over the curb/hump. The bars only weigh 10lbs each, so it's very minimal weight addition... not to mention they're MUCH cheaper. 23x2 setup only cost me $60 shipped.... compare THAT to a single 27mm bar.

2py5ab4.jpg

2vbo1sj.jpg

2h72ypu.jpg

Last edited:
I want to give this a try. I currently have 25/23 IPD swaybars, Bilsteins, cut (1.5 coils) stock turbo front springs, and cut (1 coil) overload rear springs, and fairly sticky Falcons, and though it's well controlled, I'm surprised how much it still rolls in hard corners. What I'd like to do is double the bars with my stock turbo bars, but I notice the stock rear bar and the IPD rear bar have a different profile. Has anyone combined these two types? Also, I know sway bars are not supposed to degrade ride quality, but I'm wondering if the dual bars will. Last inquiry: in the photos, the saddles that are being used on the second front bar look like factory midlink saddles/brackets. Is that so, or is it something you fabricate? Thanks!

It makes me chuckle that this thread is still going 6 years later, that's pretty awesome. I haven't been rockin the dual swaybars for the past few years (for no reason in particular, other than I changed cars) but just thinking about it I don't think you'll notice too much difference in normal ride. Potholes, sideways speedbumps, basically anything where one wheel moves fast will be felt harder and firmer than before, but it's not really negatively noticeable otherwise.

The front brackets are stock ones, just like the guy who posted pics above. He used two and stacked them, just like I did in the original post. Although if I were to do it again I'd put some big nuts/washers between the two brackets, so that the tabs on the bottom one don't bend when you crank it down. But it wasn't a problem for the several years that I ran it. The only fabrication required is to modify the endlinks if you want to, like in my first post, or I just noticed that nitroboie above didn't even modify them, just removed the upper and lower bushing and only installed the middle one. So his front installation was fab-free. In the rear you have to make the plates (it's just a steel plate with 4 holes in it), and I'm sure your IPD and stock bars can be made to play nicely together somehow, even if you have to space them apart more than normal. No biggie.

Does anyone have the pictures from the original post that they could re-host, maybe?

I checked out this thread about a month ago, and the pictures were up, but I was stupid and didn't save them. facepalm.

Ahh that's right, my dad deleted that website and I knew there were pictures hosted on it but couldn't remember what. I'm sure I've still go them somewhere.

Alrighty, pics are re-hosted and now bigger!

Wow, thanks man, that's a big help. GREAT write-up too, can't wait to do it. I've got an extra 19mm rear bar that I'm going to combine with my stock 21mm turbo bar once I can get the nuts, bolts and steel (should be Tuesday). And I'm also going to be picking up an extra 19mm front bar too (for free :)), so I'm psyched about that too.

I've got a spare 25mm 740 front bar so I could do this...
one thought why not solid spacer between bars on endlinks with poly bushings top and bottom of the stacks?

(maybe that was done I just skimmed this article)

A solid spacer would probably work fine, however I think the two bars wiggle in parallel, so having a rubber/poly bushing in there to take up the deflection is probably a good idea. But this ain't rocket surgery here, do whatever is easy and works! :)

Mayor kick :p

Today I mounted my dual front sway's on my 164, It can be done with the stock hardware but its tight!
I had to cut 10mm of the 'spacertube' (the tube where the brakelines are mounted) to get enough tread for the nut.

Picture time:

swaybar1.jpg

swaybar2.jpg

Bilsteins, low progressive springs and dual sway's the car corners like a knive! no more boat-style cornering :-D

This was cross posted to me recently in regards to a suspension upgrade thread I created.. well done man! I think I'll hang on to my old set of sways and tack them on like you did! Unfortunately.. I just went the route of the full suspension re-do, but this how-to will make a nice addition.

No...its close though :lol:

EDIT: However farther away then they look in the pic

EDIT2: And believe mine is about as low as you can go on stock **** short of removing the springs altogether

Back