• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

1991 744 Turbo (the Race Car)

I am going to be making the next one out of sch30 SS, Mig weld'd (like the one I did on the Omni). I would love to Tig it but without one here it is not happening, maybe early next year I can get another Jig car and start building parts for people to be able to save up funds for a tig, and then it is trying to learn. 1.25" Sch 30 actually, I am going to follow suit with what TTR did for their 16vT manifold that is here and keep with the smaller pipe.

For sure that WG port should of had a support, I will not make that mistake on this next one (I hope).

The design of this manifold had nothing to do with the failure, the lack of support brace and the huge heavy turbo on it caused this.

Oh the joys of go fast goodies

And now I am open to options for a new manifold design.

Don't feel bad. In my opinion a stainless tubular will eventually crack no matter what you do. I have seen my own crack and plenty of the top manifold builders crack. Some at the welds, most just the material itself. For a weekend car, racecar, or car that gets driven when it's not broken, they normally outlast the project. I have never seen one last more that a few years on real daily driver duty without needing some repair, especially on 4 cylinders.

Its pretty fast my car was 315whp at 20psi. Took it to the track and ran a 12.6 at 30 psi on a ebay 57trim. No idea on the whp at 30 but at 315 it was pretty damn fast.

For everyone that makes 300+ whp, how fast does it feel in that ~3000 pound car?

pls respond!

It's nice, TLAO's car is different as he has that fancy auto, and is traction limited on the street with street tires. Lays rubber down for days!

Latest update is the car is still waiting for me to do something, so Today I finished up the placement of the new turbo flange for the new manifold, now to drop this off to a pro to get something built up.

rps20150224_100353.jpg

I would say the car should be running by the end of today but it seems that all of my spare exhaust gaskets were used by other people, so I have ordered more and maybe the end of this week the car will run again as Jao was nice enough to patch up all of the cracks in my old manifold to help me get this car running and out of the garage so I can work on other stuff.

Last edited:
Man... Those cracks are bad... What diameter and wallthickness you had? Sry.. Cant use your format.. Sched30 and so on.. Dont know what it means..

Those cracks are mostly effected by too much stress in the hole manifold after welding procedure. (of course also the heavy weight of the turbo...)
The best way is to draw the temper with an annealing furnace after finishing the manifold.
Maybe this could help to reduce those cracks occur

i use a mild steel flange, 309 filler, and then ceramic coat. i prefer that route best instead of a stainless flange. no shame here. it's a large header...

FQsZZB2.jpg

Random Long term update

The car now cranks and makes popping noise but is not starting. MS3, DSM CAS, Truck Coils and now it is just a settings game to get it figured out to idle, once it idles I get the fun of getting started on an MS tune to see what this thing will run like with a proper setup.

Back