• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Shopping for V70 wagon

What, and you didn't even stop to say hi? *******.... lol

I wanted to, and to pick stuff up, but as it is we didn?t even get home until 1:30am. Wife would have been pretty bummed if I added another stop to the agenda.

Congrats! Never done a Subie. Sure they are fun as well. Plus you already have a parts car. Lol

Fun isn?t the word I?d use, per se. my Outback was decent with the 5 speed. But the automatic is kind of a bummer in this new car. But I love not having to shift in traffic. Unfortunately I sold the Outback before using it for parts.

Regular 5 cylinder stuff - PCV system, timing belt done on time, etc.

The automatics do not last forever, later (2004+?) are better, IIRC.

Electronics. Make sure everything you care about - power seats, gas gauge, climate control, etc works, including keys and keyfobs. Most everything is dealer programmed only.

Good to know about the auto trans. I'll be looking for an auto so my wife can drive the car, so maybe I'll look into those issues and focus on later models. Thanks!

I hav an '02 with 270k. Trans is fine. It was regularly serviced and had the software updates done as soon as they were posted. Bought it for cheap with a thick stack of service records and a burned exhaust valve. Bottom end looks great; crosshatch on the cylinders looked perfect.

I like the car. It's a lovely couch. P2s tend to have several easily addressed weak spots but once addressed, and as long as the car is regularly maintained, they are great.

I'll probably be a minority here...but I would look at an e46 wagon before any P2 cars. I have worked on a ****load of both chassis and the bimmer is way more robust and reliable....and there is no comparison on how much better the E46 interior bits hold up.

Other than needing a cooling system very 80-90k and the potential for cheap fix oil leaks from time to time, they are great cars.

You might also look into an E39 wagon if you want something larger.

That too. P2s are kind of stupid to work on.

That too. P2s are kind of stupid to work on.

the few things I've done (shocks, brakes, bcm, front end...) were all fairly cut and dried. I'm still waiting for the big gotcha that all the dooms-dayers say is coming with an 04. breather was easy with the front end off the car, but based on how all that worked, I could've done it more or less the same, without taking the intake manifold off.

I dunno, I don't work on em every day, and I'm sure there are easier cars to work on as well as much more difficult cars to work on, but they're not really that bad

the few things I've done (shocks, brakes, bcm, front end...) were all fairly cut and dried. I'm still waiting for the big gotcha that all the dooms-dayers say is coming with an 04. breather was easy with the front end off the car, but based on how all that worked, I could've done it more or less the same, without taking the intake manifold off.

I dunno, I don't work on em every day, and I'm sure there are easier cars to work on as well as much more difficult cars to work on, but they're not really that bad

I did a top end overhaul. It wasn't that bad but there were a bunch of things that should have taken 1/5th the effort they did.

Like the pressure line from the PS pump to the rack. Ours leaked in the hose part.
I didn't even want to try to replace it myself.

Lol

It’s funny, now that I bought the Subaru, I see clean v70s everywhere. I’ll probably get one someday, but a cheap, simple Legacy is perfect for now.

But really the best part is that since my daily is so slow, my 142 will always feel fast. I wasn’t looking forward to having a bone stock v70 turbo be faster than that rusty money pit in my garage.

That's how it always works out.

I don't know how fast a V70 would have been. Some P2 cars seem to feel much peppier than others with comparable service records imho.

Like the pressure line from the PS pump to the rack. Ours leaked in the hose part.
I didn't even want to try to replace it myself.

You need a crows foot flare wrench to easily get it off of the rack...i might be thinking p80 with that actually.

You need a crows foot flare wrench to easily get it off of the rack...i might be thinking p80 with that actually.

It?s that it?s a hard line going around the whole subframe, tight fit with several bends. I just didn?t see how to easily get it out and get the new one in place.

Back