• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Hail hydra

stick70

Big dreams, medium skills
Landed me a 1993 960 wagon this weekend. Bought it from a high school kid that used it has his first car. I did an autocheck that said this car has spent most of it's life in the Durham/Chapel Hill area, so it's funny it's returning to the same general area again. I've never had a 9 series before so I'm jumping into a bit of unknown here...but hey it's clean enough and I love big ol' wagons. Overall cosmetically it's very acceptable.

It's allegedly lowered on ipd springs with sways and a panhard rod. The car originally had nivomats so I'm not sure what rear springs are actually in there, but the nivomats are trash. There are service records showing ball joints and other assorted things replaced but that doesn't mean a whole lot currently. My god is this car clunky and bouncy to drive. It for sure needs struts/shocks, and probably all of the bushings as well. There's also what sounds like a driveshaft rub/vibration when accelerating in first gear, I guess I need to see what's up with that. Not sure how I'll adjust the pinion angle, but we'll find out. Anyways:

uf84eYo.jpg

VNTwanv.jpg

wpmMbBv.jpg

WvKuaPL.jpg

Remnants of a removed roof rack
6rE9eBE.jpg

juTOCe2.jpg

I've gotta see if I can take those grills off and put the stock ones back on.
VEa79sw.jpg

U5hhsKf.jpg

Typical, dog chewed the shift knob
lzr2W4t.jpg

o5qXn1c.jpg

1RfRLr4.jpg

So far it's only broken down once over the 12 hours I've owned it. It doesn't seem to have spark when it gets good and hot, starts misfiring, and cuts off. The previous owner said that the coil harness has been repaired, so I need to check out the power stages and see if it's one of them. Other things that don't work include the power antenna and sunroof. Overall pleased with the purchase.

740s still suck but this 960 is pretty cool.

Last edited:
Cool car, I love that this had the body color lower balance and bumper accents, wish my 1994 945 Turbo looked as sharp as this.

:omg:

And the timing belt was done when?

The sticker says about 25k miles ago. Needs a serpentine belt for sure. I'm reading the belt interval is 30k miles on these from stock, so I'll throw one on there.

Cool car, I love that this had the body color lower balance and bumper accents, wish my 1994 945 Turbo looked as sharp as this.

I really think that sets it off honestly. That little bit of paint takes some years off of it.

Also, I don't think I've ever seen one of those ABS Pump/Expansion Tank covers before

There's a lot of little things like that they did to dress stuff up that doesn't matter. It's a really really nice car for a 93. Especially compared to a 1993 850 or 240.

Honestly I'm super happy about the wheels on the car. I need to find a cheap (free) center cap in a junkyard somewhere but apart from that they rock.

I really like it so far :)

I've done some digging and so far it needs:
Front/rear crank seals
Brake pads/rotors/hoses. I don't know that I've ever bought an old car I didn't put brakes on, it's an expectation.
Shocks
Driveshaft bushing, that's what that thumping is in first gear.
Timing and serpentine belts
Basic fluids service
One tire. One of these brand new super cheap tires has a bubble in it.
Still haven't figured out why it cut off on me, it hasn't done it again since. It could use a set of plugs, though I doubt that's related. I hooked up the vct2000 and it doesn't have any codes, everything checks out.
Shift knobs are still available new, I'll have to grab one.

Apart from that stuff it's still a really good car.

Got that power antenna working too :boink:

Back