• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

940 M90 G80 latest Volvo oil specs?

HRPufNStuf

So,
Looking to do an oil change on the M90 and the rear diff in the near future, but all my documention lists volvo oils that are now NLA or obscelete.
I sent an email to the local dealer and he came back with 31259380, but he didnt seem completely sure. At $40 a litre, it seems a bit rich and he said the same oil goes in the m90 and the diff.
That number seems to cross reference to AWD 97+ angle gear oil...which seems a bit late for what I was asking, unless it is backwards compatible?
Can anyone confirm the latest M90 gear oil and G80 diff (out of a 94 960)?

Patrick

Synthetic GL-4 for the M90 and GL-5 for the rear. That's what Volvo oils are. I've used multiple different brands.

If you want to use "Volvo" oils then M56,etc. oil is the same GL-4 as M90. I think angle gear oil is GL-4 too. AWD rear diff oil is GL-5.

Last edited:
Thanks,
Would be great if you could let me know which one you are using.
The link you provided does not seem to recognize M90 and the M56 variant is just a generic 75w80.when I try using the search.
Cheers
Patrick

Last edited:
Thanks!
Looks like FCP carries the same stuff, in both GL-5 and GL-4 so may just add a few bottles to an open order.
Actually it looks like the same stuff needed for my Land Rover Defender transmission that I have not been able to source locally around here....so might get a few more.
Patrick

Back