• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

2000 xc70 transmission fluid?

oldnfast

I?ve only owned red block Volvo?s and I just picked up a 2000 xc70. What transmission fluid do these cars use? It?s fairly clean but I?d like to flush it

Dexron III if your car has the 4 speed. I thought a 2000 would have been equipped with a 5 speed AT.

If your 4 speed AT shifts fine now there should be no harm in flushing it. You can do it yourself with some tubing and accurately marked milk jugs. The tubing will fit snugly over a disconnected transmission cooler line. I think Ipd actually sells a kit for this process.

I usually pump out 2 quarts at a time, turn off car, dump two fresh quarts in. Repeat this until the fluid coming out of the car is red.

Dexron III if your car has the 4 speed. I thought a 2000 would have been equipped with a 5 speed AT.

If your 4 speed AT shifts fine now there should be no harm in flushing it. You can do it yourself with some tubing and accurately marked milk jugs. The tubing will fit snugly over a disconnected transmission cooler line. I think Ipd actually sells a kit for this process.

I usually pump out 2 quarts at a time, turn off car, dump two fresh quarts in. Repeat this until the fluid coming out of the car is red.

The XC is the only 4 speed that year. The R and NA got a 5 speed.

What they ^^^^ said.

Grab some tubing, pull the hose out of the radiator, install tubing, start it up, pump a couple quarts out, refill, repeat until clean. IPD has directions on their site as well.

I used some cheap dexron for the initial flush then followed it with M1 multi-car ATF since I run that in other vehicles and keep it in stock. Never had an issue with that trans and it's still on the road today. The newer 55-50's run the 3309 fluid but the older 50-42's are still Dexron.

Back