home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > performance & modifications

Old 07-07-2019, 08:37 PM   #1
kcpaz

Default Rear sway bar to clear 8.8 axle

Is there an aftermarket rear sway bar that is known to clean an 8.8 diff cover? My OEM bar doesn't clear, and to make matters worse, I'm running a cast aluminum, aftermarket cover. I don't want to roll the dice only to find out that an aftermarket bar won't fit. Or, should I just omit the bar entirely?
kcpaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 08:43 PM   #2
pwschuh
Rolling...

I had to get a rear sway bar modified (by mikep) to clear my 9.0 diff. It's not a difficult mod to lengthen the side bars so it sits farther back. You could go without, but some bar in back is usually better (depending upon your other suspension mods).
Old 07-07-2019, 08:50 PM   #3
kcpaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwschuh View Post
I had to get a rear sway bar modified (by mikep) to clear my 9.0 diff. It's not a difficult mod to lengthen the side bars so it sits farther back. You could go without, but some bar in back is usually better (depending upon your other suspension mods).
I thought about modifying the side arms to make them longer, but doing that would essentially make the "spring rate" softer... but I guess you're right, a slightly softer bar would be better than no bar at all.
kcpaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 09:25 PM   #4
RvolvoR
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcpaz View Post
I thought about modifying the side arms to make them longer, but doing that would essentially make the "spring rate" softer... but I guess you're right, a slightly softer bar would be better than no bar at all.
wrong. no rear bar and stiffer springs works best....most people who are running an 8.8 have already thrown the rear bar away.
RvolvoR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 09:45 PM   #5
2turbotoys
Salaminizer

What spring rate makes up for no rear sway bar? Putting a Ford 9" in, I thought it would clear but this thread makes me wonder... not trying to threadjack Op, just get a bit more info on this. Lengthening the swaybar mounting a couple inches is not a good idea then?

Our roads are terrible so I can't see how putting in super stiff springs would be a good idea

1978 242, getting prepped for LS
1979 242, MS, R brakes
2006 V50 T5 AWD @ 17 PSI
2turbotoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 10:20 AM   #6
VB242
A tough rowing ho

The only problem I had fitting the RSB with my 8.8 was that I welded the brackets a smidge too close and had to hammer it into place. I've since removed it, car does better at autocross without it. Now my panhard bar was a different story, I had to clearance the stock steel cover with a hammer and bend the panhard bar in a 20T press so that it would clear.

First candidacy driven entirely by smart phone.

Campaign slogan
"Trump, I wouldn't piss on him if he were on fire!"
VB242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 11:29 AM   #7
Stiggy Pop
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RvolvoR View Post
wrong. no rear bar and stiffer springs works best....most people who are running an 8.8 have already thrown the rear bar away.
in your opinion does this apply to everything or are you picturing an autocross course? I did not prefer my car with no bar and more spring on the roads out here, but I can understand why you guys like it in an autocross setting. I am pulling in a 19mm rear bar to try out as I do think the 25mm is too much.
Old 07-08-2019, 02:33 PM   #8
towerymt
the real Towery

You could maybe add a plate like this and mount the bar lower?

https://www.240turbo.com/specsheet245.html#dualswaybars
towerymt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 04:53 PM   #9
M.H. Yount
Board Member

Some good info here about how what's going on up front impacts choices made at the rear -- http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=343758
Old 07-29-2019, 09:57 PM   #10
mikep
The MP

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcpaz View Post
No, the spring rate is the same. It is calculated by the length of the arm it is bolted to, no matter where it is. Front or rear. The axle to pivot length of the trailing arm would have to get longer to decrease its rate.
mikep is offline   Reply With Quote