home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 06-17-2019, 08:01 PM   #26
mblue240
Board Member

First time in 9 months the car is out of the garage!

20190617_103746

The IPD springs have it sitting much lower than stock, I think it's actually lower than my 89. I got it out from the garage and spun around to wash it. Everything in the engine bay is coated in oil, it seems like it's been leaking for years.

Short list of to-do:
-Bleed brakes (it has no pedal right now)
-Alignment on Friday
-Oil cap doesn't fit snug
-Top off coolant
-Oil change
-Oil pan gasket appears to be leaking at the front

Long term list:
-New carpet
-Power side mirrors
-Install rear headrests
-Install spoiler

Tbricks build

Quote:
Originally Posted by b4_ford View Post
In Oregon, 5 Volvos in a parking lot isn't a meet, it's just a daily coincidence!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NChoy View Post
Yep, Michael is right.
mblue240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 07:10 PM   #27
mblue240
Board Member

Well bled the brakes two more times. First time resulted in still not having any pressure. Second time the brakes are working, but not till the pedal is at the floor and it's still really soft. It might take a third try, but this is getting frustrating.

For the oil pan I'm thinking I should have put rtv on the bottom of the crank cover when I reinstalled it. I have to pull the pulleys next week to get the timing cover on, so I'll do that repair then.
Old 06-18-2019, 08:03 PM   #28
Harlard
80/20 speed parts club

Needs more turbo

Herr Harlard am Erstens

1979 242 DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by t8fanning View Post
My knob has a big chunk of steel on it
Harlard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 05:47 PM   #29
mblue240
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlard View Post
Needs more turbo
Not this car, but the pieces are accumulating for the '89.

The car got an alignment today. The 5 minutes to the shop and back were pretty nice, no noise coming from the suspension. I was running around trying to get stuff done thinking Volvos in the Hood was tomorrow, but I have another week.

The brakes still seem too soft to me and it might be due to the passenger side. When I crack the rear caliper it fills my drain tube about an inch, then stops flowing. On the front caliper I can't get any fluid out of the inside (pointed at with the wrench).

20190620_220353

It's drive-able right now, but not as stiff as it was or as stiff as my '89. I replaced all the hard lines, the rubber lines, the front calipers (with used vented units), rotors, and master cylinder.
Old 06-21-2019, 07:00 PM   #30
Harlard
80/20 speed parts club

those things are un-bleedable.
Old 06-22-2019, 02:58 AM   #31
klr142
Turbo, what?

Quote:
those things are un-bleedable.
No... only when things are wrong.
klr142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 07:30 AM   #32
DET17
Reformed SAABaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mblue240 View Post
First time in 9 months the car is out of the garage!

20190617_103746

The IPD springs have it sitting much lower than stock, I think it's actually lower than my 89. I got it out from the garage and spun around to wash it. Everything in the engine bay is coated in oil, it seems like it's been leaking for years.
Beautiful 242.... good to see it motivating under fossil fuel again.

Hope you have better luck with the IPD sport springs than I did on my DD.....I'm much happier with the B&G progressives/Konis than I ever was with IPD blue sport/Bils HD.

Following your progress

Feedback thread: http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=198746
DET17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 06:09 PM   #33
mblue240
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by klr142 View Post
No... only when things are wrong.
I'm thinking new reman calipers are needed. Do you think I need to replace both the rights or just the front?
Old 06-22-2019, 06:27 PM   #34
culberro
Ronald Culberbone III

If the rear isn’t bleeding, it might be the rear residual valves sticking. Give them a few light taps with a wrench or hammer.
On the front calipers, make sure the bleeders are clear and not filled with rust.
Old 07-07-2019, 08:33 PM   #35
mblue240
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DET17 View Post

Hope you have better luck with the IPD sport springs than I did on my DD.....I'm much happier with the B&G progressives/Konis than I ever was with IPD blue sport/Bils HD.
The car bounces like crazy right now. If you hit a decent dip it goes up and down three times before it settles flat again. I know I bought the BillyTC used, but they seemed to function properly.

I'm not happy about the idea of getting new shocks and another alignment.
Old 07-10-2019, 12:24 PM   #36
klr142
Turbo, what?

Quote:
The car bounces like crazy right now. If you hit a decent dip it goes up and down three times before it settles flat again. I know I bought the BillyTC used, but they seemed to function properly.

I'm not happy about the idea of getting new shocks and another alignment.
That is the definition of being under damped which means too soft of shocks/struts for the springs, or blown shocks/struts. You could also be hitting the bump stops if you didn't trim them with the lower ride height, as that will have a similar affect. Also, try to determine if just the front or rear is bouncing excessively. I have a set of new Sachs Turbogas rear shocks if the rear shocks are causing your issue. You can try the "bounce test" by just pushing on the fender above the corner you're checking and see what happens.
klr142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 12:46 PM   #37
matt b
Board Member

Quote:
Not this car, but the pieces are accumulating for the '89.

The car got an alignment today. The 5 minutes to the shop and back were pretty nice, no noise coming from the suspension. I was running around trying to get stuff done thinking Volvos in the Hood was tomorrow, but I have another week.

The brakes still seem too soft to me and it might be due to the passenger side. When I crack the rear caliper it fills my drain tube about an inch, then stops flowing. On the front caliper I can't get any fluid out of the inside (pointed at with the wrench).

20190620_220353

It's drive-able right now, but not as stiff as it was or as stiff as my '89. I replaced all the hard lines, the rubber lines, the front calipers (with used vented units), rotors, and master cylinder.
The two halves of your caliper appear to be misaligned. That would cause air to be trapped in it for sure. Is it a rebuilt unit ? I'd take it back.
matt b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 11:32 PM   #38
mblue240
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by klr142 View Post
That is the definition of being under damped which means too soft of shocks/struts for the springs, or blown shocks/struts. You could also be hitting the bump stops if you didn't trim them with the lower ride height, as that will have a similar affect. Also, try to determine if just the front or rear is bouncing excessively. I have a set of new Sachs Turbogas rear shocks if the rear shocks are causing your issue. You can try the "bounce test" by just pushing on the fender above the corner you're checking and see what happens.
It'll be back in the garage tomorrow to button up the timing cover, so I'll do the bounce test while it's on level ground. It seems like both front and back bounce, but more so in the front. I don't think it's the stops. I think that would feel more harsh, where this is a trampoline effect.

I have I get real motivated I may swap the HD from the rear of the 89 onto the 83 and see how it does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt b View Post
The two halves of your caliper appear to be misaligned. That would cause air to be trapped in it for sure. Is it a rebuilt unit ? I'd take it back.
These are used factory units from a parts car. the car was running before it wrecked, but I don't know for how long or where the parts sat.
Old 07-11-2019, 12:44 PM   #39
Harlard
80/20 speed parts club

Did you actually drive, and specifically stop, the car before taking it apart? It could have had mushy brakes from badly rebuilt calipers for all you know.
Old 07-12-2019, 10:37 AM   #40
LC4CARL
Aero challenged

Stopping by the PDX Euromeet at IPD tomorrow PM?
Life begins at 10PSI.
LC4CARL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 07:25 PM   #41
mblue240
Board Member

Quote:
Did you actually drive, and specifically stop, the car before taking it apart? It could have had mushy brakes from badly rebuilt calipers for all you know.
They came from someone else's parts car, so I never felt them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LC4CARL View Post
Stopping by the PDX Euromeet at IPD tomorrow PM?
Nope, I'm at work tonight. Shift work (and on the weekends too) blows for coming to events. I had to take the day off work to be able to attend Volvos in the Hood.