home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > maintenance & nonperformance

Old 07-04-2019, 06:19 PM   #1
Richelieu
Board Member

Default 3rd BRAKE LIGHT for Pre-86 Wagons - Any Ideas?

For you fellows (or ladies) out there who may have driven/bought/inherited pre-1986 240s/245s without the 3rd brake light, I am interested to know what - if anything - you have done, what your suggestions might be, and if you could give me some advice.

I am not comfortable driving in town without the 3rd brake light, simply from the standpoint of safety - too many of the less-informed, simply do not care to remain focused enough while driving to notice that not all cars have this feature. Every time I brake in traffic, I cringe, frankly.

There are the universal type LED strips available at the auto parts store, and, of course, there are the later model 245 3rd brake lights available which I could, conceivably, have wired and mounted to the back window of my hatch, but there must be other options as well. I have searched the forum, and haven't found much on this.

If you added a 3rd brake light in your pre-86 240/245, what did you do/what was your solution?

Thanks for your suggestions. If anyone has an extra, I'd be happy to purchase it from you and pay shipping. Just PM me for price, etc. Thanks!
Richelieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 06:36 PM   #2
nel621
Board Member

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-New...4AAOSwVB5c-WyP
nel621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 07:50 PM   #3
dl242gt
300+hp on the shelf club

My main suggestion is to add something aftermarket instead of old plastic parts. I would do something like the link above or get a newer led kit. The led will be brighter and react faster to make light. Putting in the stock light is also possible and just use an led replacement bulb in that. .
dl242gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 12:27 AM   #4
hiperfauto
Board Member

I've got an NOS OE retro fit kit but installation requires running the wire through the one of the tailgate hinges.

Check out the installation instructions and let me know if you're interested.

http://www.240.se/litteratur/3-35-10.pdf
hiperfauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 02:35 AM   #5
Richelieu
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiperfauto View Post
I've got an NOS OE retro fit kit but installation requires running the wire through the one of the tailgate hinges.

Check out the installation instructions and let me know if you're interested.

http://www.240.se/litteratur/3-35-10.pdf
I'm interested - will send you a private message.

Last edited by Richelieu; 07-05-2019 at 11:49 AM..
Old 07-08-2019, 11:57 AM   #6
283SD
Board Member

A friend of mine gave me a High Lite II years ago. I mounted it at the top of the rear window on my '78 wagon, ran the wire out of the head liner to the light.It has worked fine for years, but it triggers the bulb out warning light when I step on the brakes, at least I know that the brake lights work.
283SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 03:04 PM   #7
nel621
Board Member

Not a wagon but I added a third brake light to my first coupe many years ago. I got it from JC Whitney, mounted to the back window just like the later 240s. To avoid the bulb out warning I ran the ground wire to each side of the back lights. Never had a problem.
nel621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 10:59 PM   #8
xactorocker
Board Member

wait so the one in my 85 is not stock? weird, looks stock. maybe mine already has that kit in it.
xactorocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 06:22 AM   #9
Richelieu
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xactorocker View Post
wait so the one in my 85 is not stock? weird, looks stock. maybe mine already has that kit in it.
Honestly- no idea, but interesting. '86 was the year they became mandatory for new vehicles sold in the US, if memory serves. Knowing Volvo, they might have been ahead of the curve on this safety feature as well, but I'd research it to be sure if I had a 3rd brake light in an 85. Let us know what you find out.
Old 07-14-2019, 06:33 PM   #10
dl242gt
300+hp on the shelf club

An 86 model year car could very well have been built in 85. A early sale in the model years may have been accidently titled as an 85. Also someone could have easily swapped a tailgate. You'll be able to tell by checking the wiring. If it looks original and the bulb activates the bulb out light in the dash when removed. It's probably oroginal.
dl242gt is offline   Reply With Quote