home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > maintenance & nonperformance

Old 07-08-2019, 01:37 PM   #1
90volvo
Board Member

Default advice-car was hit and there insurance doesnt want to

My newest member of our 240 family got hit in a parking lot. My car was parked and a truck sled into it. The driver had insurance thank goodness. It bashed in my driver side rear quarter panel. I took it to 3 places; 2 of them acted like they didnt want to mess with it. The 3 rd one said he would match the paint and fix it right. It was a 3500 estimate. Now his insurace company claims they wont pay that much and I will have to pay 1000 out of my pocket.
Im asking on here because I know you guys have probably been down this road. So I am looking for advice.
Im super busy and dont have alot of free time to deal with them. But my 240 is slick and has 90000 original miles. That why I bought it. Today Im going into there main office to talk to them face to face. Thanks for any advice here.
90volvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 01:44 PM   #2
JohnMc
PV Abuser

I think they're saying that at $2500 in damage, your Volvo is totaled. And they're not going to pay you any more than that. Cars are totaled at 75%(IIRC) of their market value.

You could try to get an appraisal if you think it's worth a fair chunk over what they think it is. Like around $5K to support them paying $3500 to fix it.

And you don't have to accept their offer. Say no. In some cases, you'll be offered independent arbitration, where they present their facts, you present yours, and an independent person makes a decision. In other cases (possibly depends on the state?) they have some leeway to make higher settlements, but if push comes to shove they might let you try to take them to court.

Sad fact is, you're just not likely to get much in the way of sentimental value (i.e. none at all), and very little int he way of 'collector car' valuation, even thoush a few 240's end up selling for $10 - $15K.
'93 245 16VT Classic #1141
JohnMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 03:15 PM   #3
dl242gt
Happy playing the blues

The documentation to show the car is in superior conditioin. Receipts to show parts replacement and repairs. Service records. All this may show the car is a more valuable car than the average car. That said they are still going to stick to their guns and only go so far.

Last time I dealt with this on a nice 1990 wagon my friend had. It wss totaled to the insurance co. He kept his car and they gqve him $800. The repair estimate was $3400. Was hit on the driver side rear door and rear wheel arch. Lots of unibody repairs there.
dl242gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 05:58 PM   #4
Dirty Rick
Board Member

The $1000 difference/deductible is the responsibility of the crasher. Not the crashee.

You were hit due to no fault of your own, you should be made whole.

Your insurance company might want to total the car, that is a different negotiation and covered by the post above.
Old 07-09-2019, 05:05 PM   #5
tintintin
Board Member

About 10 - 15 years ago I went thru this. The details are a little fuzzy but I did dispute the ins. co. low valuation. They told me where they got their numbers from-- a local used car dealer. I called up the dealer and asked them if they remembered talking w/ the ins. co.

They did. I asked them if their valuation took into account all the above average features my car had (better engine, great condition, rare options, etc.); they had not. I asked them to re-estimate the value, which they did. I presented the new valuation to the ins. co., and they upped their payout to a more reasonable amount.

It did take a lot of time and patience. I stuck with it mostly based on principle. Guy spends extra effort and money maintaining a good older car in excellent condition and the ins. co. always tries to cheap out.
tintintin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 06:56 PM   #6
rb92673
Board Member

I would check your local laws. If it were me I would send by mail/fax the insured and their insurance carrier a nicely worded demand that your vehicle be repaired at a repair shop of your choosing. Voice conversations are difficult to prove in court. If they declined, I would sue the insured in small claims court for the full value of the repairs. Their insurance company would probably represent the insured. Try and get a second quote at the very least.

Remember the insurance company for the person that hit your car wants to pay as little as possible, but they have the responsibility to make you whole.

For the future you might want to look at collectors car insurance from a company like Hagerty where you can have an agreed upon value that your insurance company will insure up to in case of an accident.
rb92673 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 08:02 PM   #7
TestPoint
Board Member

The insurance company of the party at fault have no authority to declare a vehicle 'totaled'. They are responsible to restore the vehicle to the condition it was in before the damage.

Ask to speak to the 'ajustor's' supervisor. Document the conversation or get a statement in writing and then contact your State Insurance Commissioner if you are not satisfied.

1982 Volvo 245 with a Ford 302 V8

Ford V8 Conversion Manual -
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=250257

Bertone Restoration - http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=256460
TestPoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 09:03 PM   #8
Rusty_ratchet
Board Member

I was in an accident last November. The damage and repair aspects were really messy. I took my car to the Volvo dealership. They have someone on staff that is a registered/certified/whatever appraiser who wrote a document stating that my car was worth $5000. Maybe you would have better luck if you have the car appraised?
Rusty_ratchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 09:03 PM   #9
M.H. Yount
Board Member

I was in a similar situation about 20 years ago with my 242. About $3500-$4000 worth of damage to both rear quarters. Clearly the other party's fault. HIS insurance company was easier to work with than mine was. They foot the entire bill for the repair --- AND the adjuster was a car guy who was having a '68 Camaro restored. He recommended the same shop that was restoring his car. They did a dynamite repair -- had 'em paint the entire car while doing the repair. Testpoint will tell you - paint still looks pretty decent.

As others said -- stick by your guns. Be respectful, but firm. I'd also aim my conversations at the person who hit you. In my opinion HE'S the one who has the obligation to keep you whole --- he's the one who hit you. His insurance co is simply there to minimize his loss. I would work on him to get his insurance company in line -- make it clear you're coming after HIM, not his (never ending reserves of cash and lawyers) insurance company.

I just dropped USAA insurance after 42 years. They didn't even ask why I was leaving. I swear they're all the same -- NONE of them seem interested in taking care of their clients. They're focused on taking care of their shareholders.

BTW - my situation was a little easier because it happened on a public roadway and the cops ticketed and found the other driver at fault. You were on private property -- so it's really between you and the other driver. If you had witnesses -- be sure you get them on board with their version of events documented and notarized.

Last edited by M.H. Yount; 07-12-2019 at 10:00 AM..
M.H. Yount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 09:51 AM   #10
90volvo
Board Member

Update: they tried to total the car for 2500. I refused and told them they could buy me a replacement 240. I told them I didn’t want to be a pain but can be if they wasn’t going to fix the car then I was ready to go to extreme measures. So as of now they agree to have the body shop to replace the quarter panel. The body shop agrees that the panel needs replaced. I’ve been digging and don’t think there’s a new one out there.
So I’m going to search junkyards. I can’t believe as popular as these cars that there’s no NOS panels. If anybody has any thing let me know. Thanks
Old 07-12-2019, 09:54 AM   #11
JohnMc
PV Abuser

They're popular, but not among people willing to pay $$$$ to fix body damage on them.
JohnMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 10:12 AM   #12
M.H. Yount
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90volvo View Post
Update: they tried to total the car for 2500. I refused and told them they could buy me a replacement 240. I told them I didn’t want to be a pain but can be if they wasn’t going to fix the car then I was ready to go to extreme measures. So as of now they agree to have the body shop to replace the quarter panel. The body shop agrees that the panel needs replaced. I’ve been digging and don’t think there’s a new one out there.
So I’m going to search junkyards. I can’t believe as popular as these cars that there’s no NOS panels. If anybody has any thing let me know. Thanks
Stay after them.....keep letting them know you know their client is obligated to fix your car. FWIW - nothing wrong with a used quarter panel as long as you get a clean one. The repair on mine was made with entire back half of a junkyard 242. Try finding a replacement 242 quarter....
M.H. Yount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 10:39 AM   #13
Redwood Chair
K-jet For Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMc View Post
They're popular, but not among people willing to pay $$$$ to fix body damage on them.

The six years that manufacturers are required to provide panels is old in the collision industry, 10 years is ancient, and we're fooling with ~30 year old cars.

Go figure...

Image hosted by servimg.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiperfauto View Post
Folks on here don't know a good deal when they see it.
how psi stock cna support?

Redwood Chair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 01:04 PM   #14
nel621
Board Member

Sedan panel NLA wagon maybe.
nel621 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 01:10 PM   #15
nel621
Board Member

Curious, got pics of damage?
Old 07-12-2019, 02:07 PM   #16
ZVOLV
<Master Tech>

http://learnyourdamnhomophones.com
Old 07-12-2019, 03:09 PM   #17
nel621
Board Member

^ relax
Old 07-18-2019, 09:46 AM   #18
dalek
Benchracer Tribe

I too found it is more productive to deal with the other guy's insurance first.

There are no aftermaket body parts for the 240?
"Use the barbed adapter like what I use to inflate the air camping mattresses and my dates." FTF Engineering
i am inspired. i will replace my windsheild... with an intercooler.swedishK
Feedback!
dalek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 10:28 AM   #19
linuxman51
BRANDSCHUTZVORSCHRIFTEN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Rick View Post
The $1000 difference/deductible is the responsibility of the crasher. Not the crashee.

You were hit due to no fault of your own, you should be made whole.

Your insurance company might want to total the car, that is a different negotiation and covered by the post above.
Yep. When my tractor got stolen, the dealer's insurance company tried that bull**** too.. valued the tractor at whatever, and then said they were going to send a check for that less the deductible. Had to squelch that.

Now with in-house Dyno tuning!

Megasquirt Tuning!
Plug and play LH 2.4 Megasquirt, now with stealth mode!
linuxman51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 01:51 PM   #20
90volvo
Board Member

Welp I’ve been round and round with them. They finally agreed to pay 100 percent to have it fixed. But then a check showed up the other day. I’m not cashing it. By the way I found a new quarter panel. I list a link here after I order mine. Thanks will keep you posted.
Old 07-19-2019, 11:56 AM   #21
nel621
Board Member

If the check covers your estimate for repair why not cash it?
Old 07-19-2019, 12:00 PM   #22
90volvo
Board Member

Default short change

Quote:
Originally Posted by nel621 View Post
If the check covers your estimate for repair why not cash it?
It doesnt cover it. probably a 1000 off.
Old 07-20-2019, 09:46 AM   #23
Kjets On a Plane
Devoid of Luxury

Location: SoCal Rat-Racer/Douche/Rich Puke Playground, Formerly Pacific Wonderland

Quarter panel replacement on an old Volvo piece of crap? Surely, you jest?

Local competent body shop labor rates are that low?
Even 90k miles, in a state that heavily regulates the insurance company they’d total it out here if they couldn’t get every panel/clip new on all but the most desired late wagon/turbo/flatnose.

The cars are *somewhat*. desired but it’d have to be a 10k+ car and ideally within 10 years old here at least to get a quarter.

At best if I were the ins co I’d at most cut you a check for 3-4K/75% value of the car after lowballing you at no cost to myself and let you sit on a dead/damaged, but “drivable” car for 3+ months or whatever the legal limit is in the lawless south/former confederacy and (send my goons over to) tell you to get lost.
Every state's different though, but don’t hold out much hope for misery for being particularly kind of old jalopy owners, though it’s property, so maybe, in some sort of logical hyper “personal property rights” super state-capitalist Randian way that somehow might align with corporate interests otherwise?

Ins co has all the time in the world/ plenty of corporate lawyers/adjuster goons to beat you up in the very legal/monetary sense.

Not so nice when it’s the corporation doing it to you as the average Tb tire kicker, is it?
/real world.
Aren’t you guys always bitching that the cars and parts are “too expensive” now?
Who's the ins co to be notified of belonging to this strange corner of the internet of lowered lowlifes/ex-gauze shirt VW criminals/post altimont deadhead dirtbags/bicycle thief neerdowel demographic whining about prices/tire kicking in for sale?

OR & WA the state really heavily regulates the insurance companies and the insurance commissioner has some teeth (though the regulators and regulated are constantly liable to get too chummy w/such frequent/regular interaction & are still a revolving door to a large degree), but broadly speaking, "real" market value applies.

Some/most other states you’re pretty screwed and it’s just another common non-collectible old, depreciated car x years/miles old with a certain replacement value/you now are likely to own a branded title car too for the most part & there’s not a lot you can do about it short or maybe suing the other driver that damaged your property in small claims possibly for however miserable/time consuming that is. They don't really account for 'eclectic enthusiast bizarro world'/cars bouncing off the bottom from fully depreciated.

Worth feeling around a bit for some knowledge of state law & enforcement for insurance commissioner and what the ins co is legally obligated to do.
Civil suit claims (likely a pain but if the ins co won’t/isn’t legally obligated pay full amt. )...good luck, though if they're reasonably fearful they might have to eat it and legal fees, they might just draft up some sort of indemnity contract, seal the documents, pay you an agreed amount and tell you to get lost.

Condolences.
Getting a lousy $1k outta them to go buy used/NOS bumper for my ancient 80k mile 1978 F250 4x4 camper special 1-ton was a chore even in WA (why the owner didn’t just give me a lousy $500 to go away/find my own used bumper I would have been happy enough with I didn’t really understand given his deductible had to have been about $500), no paint.
Construction company insurance on a $500,000 bid job and a stray back-hoe bucket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMc View Post
If you send me $20$14.99, I'll send you a how-to explaining how to make $20$14.99 from people on the internet.

Last edited by Kjets On a Plane; 07-20-2019 at 10:53 AM..
Kjets On a Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 10:22 AM   #24
Redwood Chair
K-jet For Life

^

$14.99 ain't gonna fix it.
Redwood Chair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 11:43 AM   #25
oldnfast
Board Member

Definitely contact your state insurance commission to get a idea of your rights. Connecticut’s was helpful when our 91 945 was totaled by a at fault driver. That’s a long story though.
One example, his company was responsible for a certain number of days for a rental.
oldnfast is online now   Reply With Quote