home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > performance & modifications

Old 06-01-2009, 02:18 PM   #176
BDKR
Section 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSteve View Post
If his chips can handle the blast furnace coming out of a 13c at 22 psi, I am duly impressed.
Ha ha ha...... Yeah, the 13c is pretty far off the island by 22 psi. A 15g at 12 psi is a better bet.

Knuth also cites a letter sent to him by Dijkstra, in which the latter adds some nuance to this earlier statements: "Please don't fall into the trap of believing that I am terribly dogmatical about [the go to statement]. I have the uncomfortable feeling that others are making a religion out of it, as if the conceptual problems of programming could be solved by a single trick, by a simple form of coding discipline!"
BDKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 02:24 AM   #177
84 Blue 240
Board Member

I was trying to hit 28 psi so I could be as cool as that other kid! It was a cool night and it was making 18 psi initially. As it got cooler and we let the engine cool down, I had him go out again and he said it hit 22 psi. I sorta lol'd, but the car did go quite quickly and didn't make any funny noises, so yeah. We were using a needle valve, but without any preload adjustment on the actuator, it was blowing the gate open at higher RPM, so we pretty much had the needle valve closed to get the 18ish psi to hold. This led to poor boost control (not that I was surprised...we just wanted to go to the track and the needle valve was the best I could do). He bought a Lower Shores MBC and now it is running quite happily at 15 psi. But Mike's chips handled it all in stride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manjiman View Post
I just wanted to know if the '87 740 turbo came with a differential? If so, which one?
1984 245 with Getrag Swap

Last edited by 84 Blue 240; 06-02-2009 at 02:34 AM..
84 Blue 240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 07:04 PM   #178
menace
Board Member

Well I cant comment on mileage or anything of that nature because I just installed both chips last night. The car feels like a totally different animal with these things in. Ive got a little over 100 miles on the setup already and it feels smooth as hell, the off boost drivability is out of this world, I can take the 30 mile trip to work on the highway without ever having to hit boost. It also cleared out my CEL for the EGR sensor (which is awesome). The boost comes on real smooth and the car just rockets off, and it has next to nothing done. setup is as follows

94 940 turbo
2 1/4 inch catless sidepipe
stock 13C at 16 psi
IPD cam about 3 deg advanced
cone filter and heatshield
TLAO chips

Next up is a 15G w/ super 60 wheel
browntops and 4 bar FPR
3 inch turboback
3"AMM
NPR IC
menace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 11:17 AM   #179
gsellstr
Vintage anti-ricer

GIGGIDY!!! The car's finally happy, AFR's are in check, and 12psi is, well, fun. Boost will go up soon, along with the bigger AMM and injectors, along with some track times.

Nice work Mike!

p.s. No ping currently with 90-ish ambients and cali's crap-gas.
Mick Starkey "TrickMick" 1/10/14
Mark Baldwin "blue850t5" 7/19/18
Nick Fengler "fengler" 8/6/18
Thomas Fritz "stealthfti" 10/11/18

74 144 B20
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=224983

90 745Ti
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=334698

If you need Superpro bushings PM me for price and availability!
gsellstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 02:32 AM   #180
DaButcher
Do a Burnout!

We chipped Cecilie240's car with both fuel and ezk chips.

563 ECU (from turbo car w/egr)
146 EZK (from N/A engine)

Engine specs:
B230F 1989
13C turbo
940T downpipe modded for 240
940T IC
940T injectors

I waited untill posting in this thread, since we had a problem with excessive rich mixture (which happend at the same time as we chipped it).
Eg. the thing was that we where running on E85 and when we first ran the +t, we still used the N/A ECU. It was bogging under WOT, I felt it was a rich bog. However, the rich fuelmixture from E85 is not very visible (no black smoke from e85).

So, when we then went on premium fuel and the FT/FK ecu (563) and chippet it, it suddenly puked black some at idle.
Turned out that it was due to the lambda sond beeing bad (gave out a low voltage signal).

After I swapped it the day before yesterday, I could once again install the fuel chip in the 563 ECU :-)
It pulls very smooth and I can see the AFR's change as they should do.

So, I can confirm this works well for +t, we are at 10PSI atm (0.7 bar) w/ MBC ball and spring.
Soon we will have new injectors and E85 again :-) Then we just need turbo clutch and I guess that means 1 bar time (15psi).
DaButcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 12:12 PM   #181
gsellstr
Vintage anti-ricer

Final results on the stock AMM and BT's ran a 13.97 @ 102 running 17psi and VERY much out of fuel up top.

Swapped in the 012/65# injector combo the end of last week and it's still learning, though the rich bog has already started to subside after about 90 miles.
Old 07-15-2009, 05:51 PM   #182
hokman
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelostartof View Post
$100 fuel, $100 EZK, prices will go up soon in the future so ya'll will want to pick them up now while I am being nice.

http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=158922

if ya missed it
Have you got anything on LH2.1/2.2? If not is it possible to convert to 2.4? What will I need?

THanks Mike
hokman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 04:32 AM   #183
gottarollwithit
Cooks with motor oil

Good question. I'm tuned into this thread.
Old 07-20-2009, 01:49 PM   #184
BoostedSwede
Masshole

So I'm assuming that these chips adapt to larger injectors? I have browntops and a 15G, and right now my car seems to have decent AFRs. If I put in these chips, will it run overly-rich because the fuel chip tells it to get more fuel? Or will it just optimize my current setup?

Also...with my setup (15G @ 15psi, 2.5" exhaust, browntop injectors) are these chips necessary? How much will they really help? I'm not looking for much more power, as I'd like the trans to last, but better driveability/mpg/smoothness is more than welcome!
Old 07-20-2009, 02:22 PM   #185
thelostartof
unbalanced chemical

People have noticed gains on mildly stock cars like yours. hard for just me to tell you, I would think reading the feedback and setup of others of here would be enough to help you decide if you wanted it or not.

It would help optimize the setup as the ECU is what learns what you have and adjusts it from there
Old 07-20-2009, 02:56 PM   #186
gsellstr
Vintage anti-ricer

You'll like the difference. I had the same setup you're running when I pulled my 13.9 pass. Granted my motor is built, but there's a pretty noticeable difference between stock and chipped. I ran the same engine setup on the stock ECU when I was breaking things in, then swapped over to the chipped stuff once I had things settled. Throttle response is better, power is better, and available power when you up the boost is better. These chips held things in check until I literally ran out of injector at 17psi.
Old 08-17-2009, 10:24 PM   #187
Ursan
Bored Member

Default My Update:

AC condenser fan ALA Mr. Bill

RSI stage 1 cam & new T-Belt. ((RSI adjustable cam sprocket recommended?)

"New" Turbo T3 I bought about 10 years ago, but only used for a summer. .48 A/R "Mild upgraded compressor side" 3" with ATP UIWG 3" turbo back SS exhaust, Magnaflow 3" cat & straight through muffler.

Ported 90+

Mikes Chips (Injection & ignition)

4 flow matched 52#/576cc model INJL55 injectors from Racetronix

External CBV (Stock)

3" intake (from AMM to turbo inlet)

3" 012 AMM

Airaid air filter 720-431 Tucked up behind the bumper
under the passenger side headlamp.

NPR Intercooler

Volvo 2 speed electric fan mounted in the stock mechanical fan shroud with 2-speed relay. Low speed side in the radiator using the
"over heat" port. High speed control will be in the upper radiator hose.

G-Valve (RIP Gus)

Not quite 100 miles since I got this all done. So far, it's been quite a trip. At first, the performance was quite ****ty. Seriously. Idled like crap, way too rich, yadda yadda yadda.

Fast forward 4 minutes. Idle smoothed out, rich went away, became more drivable.

I don't know the mileage. But with 55# injectors I don't think it'll be thrifty. It's been running great, but I don't think the learning curve is resolved yet (Mike can comment better).

One thing though, I've noticed that the idle speed doesn't adjust to load very well (putting into drive, turning on A/C. Is that a function of the ECU or is it somehow independent like the old 240's were? I have the idle set to ~900 rpm, but when the A/C comes on, it'll drop down to about 400-450 RPM. Any suggestions what it may be?

Also, I'm still running a stock boost gauge. Does anyone know or has tried fitting a decent "real" gauge in the stock location?

Over all, I'll say this. I'd do it again in a heartbeat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedn_j View Post
I think this might be my chariot if I can jew the price down.

1990 780t Kind of Modded 1994 945t Pegz, Tintz, Hidz.
"Rear Wheel Drive, the way God intended. If a car is being pulled from the front, doesn't that mean it's being towed?"

"Lister, you are a polyp on the anus of society." - A.J. Rimmer

Last edited by Ursan; 08-17-2009 at 10:30 PM..
Ursan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 10:28 PM   #188
maxman142001
I like turtles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ursan View Post
AC condenser fan ALA Mr. Bill

RSI stage 1 cam & new T-Belt. ((RSI adjustable cam sprocket recommended?)

"New" Turbo T3 I bought about 10 years ago, but only used for a summer. .48 A/R "Mild upgraded compressor side" 3" with ATP UIWG

Ported 90+

Mikes Chips (Injection & ignition)

4 flow matched 52#/576cc model INJL55 injectors from Racetronix

External CBV (Stock)

3" intake (from AMM to turbo inlet)

3" 012 AMM

Airaid air filter 720-431 Tucked up behind the bumper
under the passenger side headlamp.

NPR Intercooler

Volvo 2 speed electric fan mounted in the stock mechanical fan shroud with 2-speed relay. Low speed side in the radiator using the
"over heat" port. High speed control will be in the upper radiator hose.

G-Valve (RIP Gus)

Not quite 100 miles since I got this all done. So far, it's been quite a trip. At first, the performance was quite ****ty. Seriously. Idled like crap, way too rich, yadda yadda yadda.

Fast forward 4 minutes. Idle smoothed out, rich went away, became more drivable.

I don't know the mileage. But with 55# injectors I don't think it'll be thrifty. It's been running great, but I don't think the learning curve is resolved yet (Mike can comment better).

One thing though, I've noticed that the idle speed doesn't adjust to load very well (putting into drive, turning on A/C. Is that a function of the ECU or is it somehow independent like the old 240's were? I have the idle set to ~900 rpm, but when the A/C comes on, it'll drop down to about 400-450 RPM. Any suggestions what it may be?

Over all, I'll say this. I'd do it again in a heartbeat.
hey im running the same cam and having similar issues with idle...it likes to lope around 500'ish at idle..not sure, aside from resetting the TB in terms of increasing idle

-2011 VW GTi
maxman142001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 10:31 PM   #189
DNAsEqUeNcE
†John3:16

Your idle air motor take a dump?
Old 08-17-2009, 10:37 PM   #190
maxman142001
I like turtles

very, very doubtful...
Old 08-17-2009, 10:43 PM   #191
DNAsEqUeNcE

Hmm..

Proceed...
DNAsEqUeNcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 10:44 PM   #192
DanielRogers
Board Member

I might be on crack, but I recall reading somewhere that the ECU compensates when you load it up (turn A/C on, e-fan on, etc). that's how it seems to be on my car.. the idle will drop from 700rpm to about 450/500 momentarily when the fan clicks on, then back up to 700.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrianpike View Post
i will shoot you through the internet.
DanielRogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 11:22 PM   #193
Ursan
Bored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielRogers View Post
I might be on crack, but I recall reading somewhere that the ECU compensates when you load it up (turn A/C on, e-fan on, etc). that's how it seems to be on my car.. the idle will drop from 700rpm to about 450/500 momentarily when the fan clicks on, then back up to 700.
That's the way it was pre-chip. But not so lately. Something needed to re-learn?
Old 08-17-2009, 11:25 PM   #194
thelostartof
unbalanced chemical

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxman142001 View Post
very, very doubtful...
Why? I have had 1 die in my cars life around 170k.

I would wait until you get around 300 miles on your car to have the chips smooth out.

I would also check for vac leaks and make sure the TPS is setup right. ALso have you checked out the valve clearance for that cam
thelostartof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 11:32 PM   #195
maxman142001
I like turtles

I just replaced mine 1k miles ago with a IAC out of a low mileage 940. Also reset my TPS when I installed the IAC...before i did all my swapping the setup was perfect. ill check clearance this weekend...see if it needs shims...shouldnt, as the MS that had the head shimmed it.
Old 08-17-2009, 11:57 PM   #196
DanielRogers
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ursan View Post
That's the way it was pre-chip. But not so lately. Something needed to re-learn?
I don't think so. I'm running a set of Mike's chips and this was not affected at all on my car.
DanielRogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 12:01 PM   #197
Ursan
Bored Member

Quote:
Why? I have had 1 die in my cars life around 170k.

I would wait until you get around 300 miles on your car to have the chips smooth out.

I would also check for vac leaks and make sure the TPS is setup right. ALso have you checked out the valve clearance for that cam
I doubt mine is bad as the idle plummets if it's not connected.

Cam clearance was all within spec. Got the shim kit from IPD and car no longer sounds like a diesel. I'll recheck the TPS. That a throttle position switch or sensor on this car? (LH 2.4) I'm thinking switch.

What's a good way to check for vac leaks? Back in the day we had a smoker thing that worked great. I can't listen for leaks so, what's the next best idea?
Old 08-18-2009, 12:12 PM   #198
thelostartof
unbalanced chemical

We take some 2" PVC end caps and put a tire valve in the end, clamp it into an intercooler pipe and pressurize the system to 20psi. take a spray bottle with soapy water and spray around anyplace it could leak and it should bubble up
thelostartof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 01:15 PM   #199
SteveMD
Membro

Quote:
We take some 2" PVC end caps and put a tire valve in the end, clamp it into an intercooler pipe and pressurize the system to 20psi. take a spray bottle with soapy water and spray around anyplace it could leak and it should bubble up
Should he plug the tail pipe for this test?
SteveMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 01:23 PM   #200
DNAsEqUeNcE

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSteve View Post
Should he plug the tail pipe for this test?
not necessary.
DNAsEqUeNcE is offline   Reply With Quote