• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Making my 1991 245 look like a pre-1980 (sorta)

57plymouth

I admit that this isn't a performance thread per se, but bear with me please.

I really like my 1991 245. It's not fast since I haven't added a turbo or done anything else other than maintenance. But that's okay. I've put 19K miles on it since I bought it last summer, and I'm slowly working through replacing parts to make it more reliable.

To the point...

It looks like every Volvo I saw growing up. I added a set of Corona wheels (I left off the center caps, but I have them if I get froggy) and I've waxed it. Otherwise it is stock outside. I'd like it to look like an early model.

The paint is pretty close to perfect, so I don't want to do a lot of panel replacements.

1: Will the early wagon tail lights fit onto my 1991?

2: Will early headlights fit with the later turn signals? I don't want to swap fenders for my pure vanity.

3: How tough is it to swap the plastic mirrors for the early chrome mirrors?

4: If I do get into panel swapping, will a flat hood fit even though the cowl will not line up? Will it look too odd with the different cowl against the flat hood? I know I'd have to paint the hood to match.

5: Can I remove all of the plastic lower body cladding without leaving trim holes? Does it all glue in place? If I strip the plastic off of the bumpers will the cores look like commando bumpers?

6: Should I just hunt for a set of RWWR tail lights, skip all of the above, and not try to make my life more miserable?

1: No.

2: No.

3: Easy

4: Yes Yes

5: It will leave two 3/8" holes in each door, no the later bumper bars don't have rounded ends..

6: Not unless you like car fires.

Last edited:
You could always do stuff to differentiate the car without getting into body panel swapping.

Start with a full chrome (GL?) grill, and glass e-code headlights, with the split colour turn signals. It won't look 70's, but it could look early 80's European.

Maybe you could strip the black coating and expose your stainless trim? I've never tried, but I've seen it flake off before. Can't be that hard. Would be pretty time consuming though.

:e-shrug: are they all that bad? Searching shows quite a few people with good results.

Not if they are properly R&R'ed, but that said I've seen a half dozen cars in the junkyard with fires originating un that area, and countless tails with melty / deformed sockets, so yes and no, or no and yes depending...

This has been beaten to death so many times just get an early car. I can guarantee that if you try it yourself it will come out terrible.

Last edited:
Actually, yes. Having done body work and engine swaps, the mechanical side is always easier.

The purpose of this thread was to see if the lights could be swapped without bodywork.

I should be more clear here...

I hate body work. I was looking at possible easy parts swapping. To make a god car look vintage.

I love machanical work. When the 4cyl. dies in the car I will look to an ls swap. I enjoy that sort of work. I'm in the planning stage on one right now for a 67 Caprice.

I should be more clear here...

I hate body work. I was looking at possible easy parts swapping. To make a god car look vintage.

I love machanical work. When the 4cyl. dies in the car I will look to an ls swap. I enjoy that sort of work. I'm in the planning stage on one right now for a 67 Caprice.

I hear you on the body work...I don't like it as well, however I took the plunge and have reached the no turning back stage on my car by removing and cutting the sheet metal to get rid of the ugly '78 242 lights for nicer and smaller 142 tail lights.

Converting to an earlier front end is as simple as swapping parts. On a later car you'll need to drill out some spot welds but that's it. Fenders, radiator support, hood, hood latch and I think that's it. Your cowl won't line up but that doesn't affect you bolting the parts on and running an earlier front end on your car.

Been one many times on here and many threads, maybe try key words of "single round" or "early front end"

Use google, type "site:turbobricks.com" and type your keywords after that, you'll find plenty of info and pics of finished swaps

Converting to an earlier front end is as simple as swapping parts. On a later car you'll need to drill out some spot welds but that's it. Fenders, radiator support, hood, hood latch and I think that's it. Your cowl won't line up but that doesn't affect you bolting the parts on and running an earlier front end on your car.

Been one many times on here and many threads, maybe try key words of "single round" or "early front end"

Use google, type "site:turbobricks.com" and type your keywords after that, you'll find plenty of info and pics of finished swaps

No paint codes match up and the cowl panel under the windshield needs to be cut and welded in. It's a pretty involved bit of bodywork. The only person that I know of that has pulled it off successfully is John R H in the UK. Most people only manage to make the things look like dog****.

Back