• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 Stripped nut on fan clutch, halp

Ansel+

ABG
Trying to replace my water pump for the first time and I ran into this. What would be the easiest way to remove this nut? I've soaked it in wd40 and tried using a breaker bar to stop the pump from turning and channel locks to remove the nut. No luck. Am I going to have to go rent a sawzall or is there another trick I can try? I can get a 10mm on it but it just strips the outside even more.

wbcs5j.jpg

Put the 2 nuts next to it back in place and tighten them properly, then vice grips might help.

Try a thin pipe wrench. They are designed to grab on to smooth round pipes - the cam action of the jaws is ideal for removing not just rounded nuts, but also broken studs (provided there is enough sticking out to grab).

I would cut it off but I don't have anything to cut it off with, unless I can get a hacksaw in there. Nor do I have vice grips that are textured. Or a small pipe wrench. Trying heat and an adjustable wrench with all the other nuts tightened but I doubt that will do it.

If I have to buy a new tool it's gonna have to wait a week :-(

Back