• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Chipping FAQ

are green top injector big enough? what about a fpr?
will these chips make my car idle better?
and whats the benefit of these chips over the lost start of's? thanks for all the help! i hope to do business with u

are green top injector big enough?
For what? For a 3" AMM?

For a 3" AMM you need injectors that are around at least 400cc/min.

what about a fpr?
You should not go much higher on the fuel pressure with the stock fuel pump.

will these chips make my car idle better?
On some ECU numbers where it is neccesary, yes.

But on most cars nothing is changed on the idle setting.

and whats the benefit of these chips over the lost start of's? thanks for all the help! i hope to do business with u
Our chips are made by the best Volvo tuners in the world, professionally tested on many cars before introduced on the market (on the street and in the lab, with many cars of different quality and tunes), and we have spent obscene amounts of money on it to get it right.

thelostartof's chips are certainly good as well.

Can the chips / LH2.4 system handle changes in boost pressure, say if you were to mount an mbc, and change max boost pressure while idling? Or does this require a new "run-in" period?

How much boost can the stock chips in B230FK LH2.4 handle?

Can the chips / LH2.4 system handle changes in boost pressure, say if you were to mount an mbc, and change max boost pressure while idling? Or does this require a new "run-in" period?
The car does not have to be restarted, no. But the car will start to adapt to the new boost level when the car is driven after the adjustment of course.

It has never been a problem.

How much boost can the stock chips in B230FK LH2.4 handle?
The limit is the turbo and the injector size. They run out of steam around the same time. And the intercooler will not be sufficient when that level is met either.

If all the engine hardware is stock, then the limit is around 16psi in relatively cold weather running 93+ octane (US) / 98 octane (EU).

Otherwise (for everyday driving) the safe limit would be 14-15psi (a tad above 1bar).

When I chip the cars with B230FK and FT engines, I always set the boost at 1bar (14.5psi).

I have a question about EZK in 940 Saloon (944) - 2.3 Turbo 08.90-07.94 165 B230FT or 940 Estate (945) - 2.3 Turbo 08.90-07.94 165 B230FT. What type of EZK they have ? On the first page of this thread you list only ECU for these models. Or maybe ECU itself is responsible for ignition timing ? I'm planning swap from B230K to B230FT from one of those models to my '89 760. And of course after I'll have stage 0 in order I'm going to chip it ;)

I have a question about EZK in 940 Saloon (944) - 2.3 Turbo 08.90-07.94 165 B230FT or 940 Estate (945) - 2.3 Turbo 08.90-07.94 165 B230FT. What type of EZK they have ? On the first page of this thread you list only ECU for these models. Or maybe ECU itself is responsible for ignition timing ? I'm planning swap from B230K to B230FT from one of those models to my '89 760. And of course after I'll have stage 0 in order I'm going to chip it ;)
The reason the EZK box is not listed for some models is because they are not chippable in 95% of all cases. Only the chippable EZK's are listed there.

You have a 148 or 149 EZK (most likely a 148).

To get them chippable, use blabla's modification kit for the EZK. That will add a daughterboard and a chip socket to the EZK.

Fred; what flow dynamics of exhaust manifold are prefferable in conjuction with b230+16vt chips? i think the turbo to be used is an 18t.
B204FT/GT exhaust manifold or custom header. But that doesn't say much, since those are really the only options for the 16v head.

Do not use something like a 90+ with an adaptor plate unless you plan on running pretty low boost.

B204FT/GT exhaust manifold or custom header. But that doesn't say much, since those are really the only options for the 16v head.

Do not use something like a 90+ with an adaptor plate unless you plan on running pretty low boost.

that's the point/

is it a principle of: less backpressure is THE rule of thumb? i'm thinking of keeping the runner length to a minimum but the tubing id 2" MIN, after that it's the turbine housing intake channel; whether or not to port.

was there any particular manfold in mind withe the chips?

that's the point/

is it a principle of: less backpressure is THE rule of thumb?
Yes. Eliminating backpressure is really the only key to good performance when it comes to pre-turbo piping on these engines.

i'm thinking of keeping the runner length to a minimum but the tubing id 2" MIN, after that it's the turbine housing intake channel; whether or not to port.

was there any particular manfold in mind withe the chips?
At least a B204FT manifold, but preferrably a custom manifold.

would 79lb injectors be too much with a 3" mas?
Yes.

The match for a 012 AMM is ~40lb/hr. Between 42-50lb/hr is usually what I would recommend.

The car would be able to handle up to 60-ish lb/hr reliably when chipped.

I have a 939 ECU that is already chipped with Fred's chips.
My car is a '94 945Ti with the 954 ECU.
Can I use the 939 in place of the 954, or should I remove the Fred's chip from the 939 ECU and install it in the 954 ECU?

Yippee!
It was actually me posting on drturbo's account.
Car in question has EGR and electric fan, so I wanted to make sure it would work. Not so concerned about the EGR working/CEL. But I do want that electric fan to work!

Yeah Fred closed his account here, correct. At least he didn't go back and delete all his posts and helpfull info like some might have done... He might have gotten rubbed the wrong way, raw I think they call it. You can email him, he's still doing the same stuff as far as I know.

Back