• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Volvo 122S Build Thread: Scope-creep the Sequel

Methods?

It's been said many times but I have to say, amazing work! I would be interested in seeing some of your methods. Such as how you do the floor pan corrugations. Also methods you use for getting your jigs flat and square.

It's been said many times but I have to say, amazing work! I would be interested in seeing some of your methods. Such as how you do the floor pan corrugations. Also methods you use for getting your jigs flat and square.

Thanks. I was going to do a few "How Too" videos. I thought I'd start with how to weld sheet metal. Panel layout is a little more of an art. Rust repair...that sort of thing. I don't have any fancy tools (aside from the welders), so I can't do some fancy tricks.

Dang. Just spent some hours over the cold weekend going through the thread. Such impressive workmanship, and work ethic. My brain just starts to fog when I read the specifics involved with suspension geometry and such, I can't wrap my head around that level of math at all. The attention to detail is inspiring. I love that you show all the revisions needed to get to where you want it to be, that's real life for you, assuming one really cares about the end result. Seen many jobs where they just slap **** together & make it pretty on the outside. My level of bodywork typically falls somewhere in-between. I have to chop up my X1/9 engine bay to fit the Honda K24, no way I can achieve your level of finish, that's for sure. I will do the best I can, and maybe looking at the level you work to will inspire me to push to the next level, that's often how this stuff works for me, anyway...

Thank you for continuing & sharing it all !

Thanks Hussein - glad you're finding the work worth watching!

Here's the latest installment.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/8TELbVBqKlk" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I didn't take before pictures on this section. The bulkhead closing panel was showing rust between the sheet metal layers with some heavy pitting. Rather than imagine this wasn't going to be a problem, I selected to just cut it out. I then welded the 2 layers that make up the outer of the A-pillar, then will weld the new sheet metal to the post. This will solve flex issues and cure the rust at the same time. There was also a small rust patch about half way up the pillar.

It was a difficult panel to fit because it's not just the outside, but the inside. So getting it all into place was an entire day. I've also replicated the swages - not that anyone will care or know when done.

45607493734_2ae0a6f38c_b.jpg

It takes time to get the fitment just how I like it. The larger "gap" by the A-pillar is only because the panel needs to move to the pillar.

45418309875_66d5a1387a_b.jpg

Here's the inside of the repair.

45607493474_49d6847c26_b.jpg

Here's the bottom of the panel - this is why this stuff takes time.

45418309435_8f1af66e5a_b.jpg

More updates as this panel gets finished.

Craig, now is the perfect time to open up the foot boxes. Your big brogans will be glad you did!!

I've thought about it. With the floor mounted pedals, I actually have plenty of room to the left. Lots of room for a dead pedal. So I'm not going to do it...when the seats go in and I can test the pedals, I may change my mind.

I've thought about it. With the floor mounted pedals, I actually have plenty of room to the left. Lots of room for a dead pedal. So I'm not going to do it...when the seats go in and I can test the pedals, I may change my mind.

Another thing to consider is the extra space for that Vintage Air unit on the pass side. On the drivers side it allows the installation of a foot operated e-brake if you want to use one (I did and I love it)!

Latest installment. This is the video of the drivers floor rework.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/R4_feIqneDc" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Quick update, I've had some time to make some more progress. The bulkhead closing panel is now welded and finished off.

The welding.

46414366091_bc17061397_b.jpg

Backside.

32542498058_3ef82558d7_b.jpg

A little grinding later and we have a nicely finished panel. I'll have to do the other side. It's more corroded on the pillar, so I'll take it all off and do it again.

46414365431_f72c0eba31_b.jpg

The floor was next. A little more fitting and it's all welded in place.

46361476702_d84668a978_b.jpg

A little grinding and this panel is done...again.

46361474842_8e47034a3d_b.jpg

That's looking a lot better.

46361475072_653ff133da_b.jpg

Pedal box corners welded up and ready to mount. Finally.

46361474402_15c6fb4ed8_b.jpg

Adjusted the fit to the firewall for the last time. This is how close it is...honest. No screws this time.

46361477192_2a2290d15d_b.jpg

Pedal mount plate and stiffening/closing panel. Painted inside and out. It's the details that take the time.

46361476132_a06833ae1e_b.jpg

The "exposed" nuts go inside the frame, then you can see how this part welds to the frame and the floor. That'll make it as stiff as needed.

46361475432_f3e59354fc_b.jpg

I've still got a test fit or two coming up - need to get a false floor in the drivers side and test the pedals while seated in the car to make sure I like it. Then we can move on to other things like the drive line tunnel.

Here's the video that relates to the above post...still making progress people.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Gi0Pl4538GI" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

It's time to get some seat belts in this thing. I need to make sure of the belt receiver buckle before I finish the drive line tunnel, so in go the seats and I did a little test fit.

32735066458_d6bee6166e_b.jpg

46556999352_94a230f9ca_b.jpg

That's going to work. Feels really good - shifter is in the right place, pedals feel good.

I started with the rear belts...just to get them done. I'm not going with any stockish placement. I built these adapter brackets.

46556998482_36e8db8760_b.jpg

They're held in with some nut plates welded to the parcel shelf.

46556998202_25c9d44219_b.jpg

Tada - done. These belts don't have a shoulder loop and will be covered eventually.

32735066178_586847efd1_b.jpg

Next, I needed some anchor plates for back and front.

32735065888_d8e9437498_b.jpg

A little TIG practice.

32735065668_3871a6f17f_b.jpg

32735065508_9636e1ab4d_b.jpg

Couple of holes and a little more welding and bingo - we're installed in the back.

46556995072_60ee469aa8_b.jpg

These get added to the B pillar - the spacer keeps the webbing off the bodywork.

32735065198_ac3952533a_b.jpg

Now, the front belts are installed.

46556996072_33694791c4_b.jpg

Now, I can finally get the drive line tunnel done. So a little layout work.

32735064868_7eb805d173_b.jpg

Some bead rolling.

46556994102_743d8ccccd_b.jpg

And BAM - we've got a tunnel.

32735064658_851e80f499_b.jpg

Looks good to me.

32735064388_20af5d4879_b.jpg

Clearance is good.

46556992552_93c43d4c89_b.jpg

Side view - very happy with the way it turned out.

32735064268_06ceb6bae9_b.jpg

That's it for this update. Tune in on the YouTube channel if you want more details.

That tunnel puts the Volvo sheet metal around it to shame. Put a frame around it, man. That's a dem fine piece.

That tunnel puts the Volvo sheet metal around it to shame. Put a frame around it, man. That's a dem fine piece.

Thanks - Upon reflection, I probably should have crafted the trans tunnel. Would have been easier. Still a lot of work to do to get this interior sheet metal wrapped up. I was hoping to be done this week, but that just didn't happen.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/whg38QgYBMM" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Well isn't this nifty. Just read through the whole story (slow at work today). Very impressive, not just the scope of the build but your craftsmanship in particular. I used to work for a company here in central California that did fabrication/frame conversions similar to Art Morrison, in fact they were our direct competitor in the market at the time (he was much better at marketing his product then us and eventually the shop closed it's doors). I can really appreciate what's being done here, especially out of a personal garage none the less.

I had the owners son do all the quick patch work on my floors. He's a much better fabricator then what he did for me, I just told him to do it quick and dirty for some trade work on his Baja beetle brakes, afterall my car is and will never be a show car. By the way, I have good connections with said shop and have a nearly endless supply source of C4 components since they never liquidated, kept everything for spares for clients (they are also about 20 minutes from my house).

Well isn't this nifty. Just read through the whole story (slow at work today). Very impressive, not just the scope of the build but your craftsmanship in particular. I used to work for a company here in central California that did fabrication/frame conversions similar to Art Morrison, in fact they were our direct competitor in the market at the time (he was much better at marketing his product then us and eventually the shop closed it's doors). I can really appreciate what's being done here, especially out of a personal garage none the less.

I had the owners son do all the quick patch work on my floors. He's a much better fabricator then what he did for me, I just told him to do it quick and dirty for some trade work on his Baja beetle brakes, afterall my car is and will never be a show car. By the way, I have good connections with said shop and have a nearly endless supply source of C4 components since they never liquidated, kept everything for spares for clients (they are also about 20 minutes from my house).

Newman Car Creations? I've seen that frame - nice looking work. Thanks for the complements - sometimes I'm not sure anyone reads this thread. I'm just plugging away in my garage trying to stay motivated to keep pushing. Most of the times the steps are pretty small, but forward progress is being made.

Back