• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

"Barn Find" 1980 242.

I trim blacked the grill and headlight surrounds. The emblem was removed since it was in bad shape, but I plan on machining a emblem to fit in the same location.

All of the chrome trim up front will be going black. I can't decide if I should keep the polished bumper trim or do that in black. I will wait till the car is painted and strip installed.

Today marks the day where I am a little lighter on cash but a lot of happiness.

I am getting a nice paint job for $1500 though, so I can't complain. I will be doing a substantial amount of interior work for the painters 2 street rods for free. That is a win-win for me.:-D

Up on the lift, so the painter can show me all the spots I missed, acting as if I am a total screw up, then commenting on how well I have prepped it so far.:rofl:

I know a lot of people won't like the pearl, but it is something I have always liked. Most of the trim on the car is going black, and the headlights will be going LED at some point as well. The car is going to look more "updated" anyways.

I don't go for pearl white much but I like seeing a 240 get a quality spray in any flavor. Nice of the guy to give you the tips on prep work

Thanks, I hope it turns out well. Now is the time to spray the trim black. Anyone have suggestions on turning the chrome trim into black? I was going to fine line tape, scuff, and shoot a epoxy primer first.

Making progress on other things while the car is getting some final body work done. He found 2 more rust holes in the rockers, so I went over this week and patched them.

I complete welded the camber plates before the car went away.

The b21 wasn't very leak proof, and it took a couple applications of oven cleaner to get these brackets workable

Cleaned up the new power rack. This car had manual steering originally. Autocockerking supplied me with the rack off of one of his car. Thanks!

I need to install new seals in it and it should be good to go.

Well, today I ordered the paint. I didn't end up going with the pearl after all.

I went with the ford Wimbledon white, which is almost an exact match to the California white that is original to the car.

67-M.jpg

Yes. you will thank yourself when you are a couple years older and realize that pearl would of been silly.

that white is practically beige.

Today I wrapped the dash pad in Alcantara type material. I am very happy with the results. my dash pad was cracked in one spot, but overall not bad shape.

The nice thing about this material is that it absorbs light quite well and does not get very hot.

I really want to give the 242 another great interior.

So... That manual rack... What's up? Also, was it a total chore popping the dash off to cover it? Did you sew the material yourself? Very impressive.

Last edited:
Back