• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Headlights not working

hutchyy91

So this problem started when I was wiring in the lights on some gauges. I spliced into the brown wire that goes to the cluster and then grounded the gauge lights on the center dash. I tested to see if my gauge lights worked and they did, but my dash lights stopped working. This concerned me so I disconnected the gauge lights. I then noticed that my headlights stopped working. When I turn my headlights on, the high beam dash light stays illuminated. When I pull on the turn signal stalk to turn on the high beams, I can hear the relay under the hood click very loudly. I thought that I may have blown out the main relay that is located in the center dash under the air vents. I replaced it, but didn't solve the problem. This is on a 1991 volvo 240. I'm not really sure where to start searching for a short. Could I have blown something in the gauge cluster that could cause the headlights to not work? Someone help point me in the right direction please.

Last edited:
On the dash cluster connectors. The large round connector. I see a solid brown wire that provides power for the three panel lights in the center dash. You could use that wire or you can connect to the rheostat on the left so you can dim the gauges with the rest of the dash if desired as well. Use a test light on the rheostat and figure out which wire is the dimmed dash lights and connect there. Black/brown wire on the large round connector is for the SRS according to the diagram I'm looking at.

I would check the fuses carefully. That high beam light is how it acts when a fuse is blown from what I recall.

Last edited:
I ended up just wiring the gauge lights into my cigarette lighter, and I used my old A/C switch to turn them on/off. I'll take a closer look at my fuses tomorrow morning.

if you flash the head lights [ by pulling the turn signal to you ] do they come on ?

I have a loss of headlights but they do ''work'' if I pull the t/s lever to me and hold it there
the hi-beam light is lit when I do this but does not change or light up when the dash is switched to lites on
tails turns and p/k lites are working just no heads unless I hold the switch in flash mode
should I hunt the under dash relay first ?
or the silver can relay under the hood by the over/flow tank on my 93 240 wagon [have parts car]
fuse looked ok but it was dark last night

are both relays fixable like the O/D relay by heating the solder joints ?

Last edited:
checked fuses and they all are fine. I also now noticed that 1 or the 2 gauge cluster lights work. And no my headlights do not come on when flashing the high beams.

Is it possible the issues could be related to the cluster circuit board going bad?

I've found that the hazard switch causes issues with my blinkers. I realize they are more closely related than the headlights, but there may be something else that got moved or disturbed back there while you did your mod. I'd go back behind the dash and make sure everything is fully seated and secured.

My blinkers and running lights still work fine. I'm gonna go through the headlight, switch, and relay wires with a multimeter today to see if I can figure out what burnt out or shorted. I finally sat myself down for long enough to figure out the wiring diagrams for the most part.

The headlight switches in 240s tend to go melty over time. They got better with later models, but I still had issues with my GF's headlight switch in her 91. If not there, then whip out the meter and start checking grounds/continuity.

A likely spot on a '91 is the relay socket behind the center vents. Yes the headlight switches used to get all "melty" until '86 when Volvo put the 240's headlight current through a relay by the driver's toes. Then, in 1991 they moved that relay behind the center vents. Looks like this.

headlightRelay01.jpg

headlightRelay02.jpg

The relay is probably OK, but the socket needs its terminal replaced.

Edit: I failed to read your first post, and now see you've already been here. The next most common trouble is in the bulb out sensor relay or BFWS. The solder cracks inside and you lose the current path for the headlights through the sensor.

On my 93 something happened to the connector and melted it. I cut it out and soldered and heat shrinked in a new connector and it has been working since. As Art says check the relay. If you do not want to pull the dash and center console apart you can take out the center vent and plumbing and pull the relay up from there.

Last edited:
I already replaced the relay in the center dash. It did not solve my problem. I checked all wires going to/from the fuse box to the relay in the dash. Checked all the wires going from that relay to the relay under the hood. Did an ohm test on the bulb out sensor and that still had 0 resistance from the grey wire that comes from the relay under the hood and the blue wires that go to the headlights. The only thing that I didn't check is the relay under the hood, but I can hear it click over when I pull the stalk for the high beams. I can't hear the relay in the dash click over when I turn on my headlights. The only thing that didn't check out were the grounds coming out of the headlights. I was testing it by touching 1 probe to a body ground and the other to the headlight connector. I got 1 resistance so there is no connection. Can anyone tell me where the headlights ground to? That is the only wire I was unable to trace.

Your running lights come on in the headlights on position?
Not just the running light position?

If you hold the stalk back, do the high beams actually come on? Or does the relay just click?
If they come on then I think the problem is in the main relay or connector (I know you just replaced it).
If you have a test light, check for power at the relay. You could also jump the connector to send power to the high beam relay....which should light the head lights.
If you have a test light, check for power at the relay connection.

Edit: the late 240s had different headlight wiring.
If you used an older style relay, they won't light.

My running lights come on in both positions. The high beams do not come when pulling on the stalk. Just the relay clicks. I don't have a test light, but I might be able to rig something up.

EDIT: On the first post i meant i spliced into the brown wire. NOT the black/brown wire

Last edited:
Update...I can hear the in dash relay clicking now. I probably just couldn't hear it before. I have voltage across the bulb out relay, in dash relay, and out of the under hood relay all the way to the red wire that goes to the headlights. There is no voltage coming from the blue wire that goes into the headlight, but idk if there is supposed to be. There is also no voltage on the ground obviously, or my lights would be working. The only possible problem I can come up with is the grounds for the head lights or I blew both head lights out at the same time? Anyone know if there is supposed to voltage at the blue wire going into the headlight?

Last edited:
You could have blown both bulbs. It happens.
I can't remember colors but you have only three wires per bulb.
With the ignition on and the headlight switch in position two, you should have B+ at one of those three spades.
If not, then the next component would be the hi lo relay.
If you have no power through the hi lo, then the next thing would be the main relay.
Then the fuse.

The relays have two poles. They're like single throw double pole switches.
You have a 12V switching circuit and a 12V load circuit.
That means the main relay connector has B+ at the load pole with ignition in run.
Jump the connector there and there should be voltage at the headlights.

Again, the newer cars had a double relay.
That means a double throw double pole.
One for parking lights and one for headlights in run position.

Thank you for those diagrams! They're much easier to figure out. So I'm getting current out of the red wire at the headlight when the headlight switch is in the ON position. According to that diagram I should only be getting current through the red wire when the high beams are on.

Wow. I'm an idiot. My grounds weren't hooked up for the headlights. They were tucked behind the headlight. Well at least I learned a lot about everything to do with headlights.

Back