• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

83 242 V8 LQ4 swap

Thanks guy's. I'm working on the traction issue, I still plan to widen the rear steelies for some 275s. For now though I picked up some rear honda s2000 wheels (16x7.5) that I'm going to mount some 255 50 16 mickey thompson et streets on. Mustang guys have gone 8's on that tire so it should be good enough for my pile. Also picked up a pretty healthy used cam and pushrods, just need to buy some valve springs now and ram it in there. Should pick up at least 80-100hp

Here is the wheel/tire combo im goin for,
l.jpg

I got consistent 1.41 60ft times with that same tire.. isn't an s2000 wheel +45 though? Are you going to run tons of spacer?

here is my old setup: 16x8 et10 with a 255/50/16, 8.8 rear end. it "poked" pretty good, so I had some major hillbilly rake, but it got the job done.
frontquarter.jpg

I got consistent 1.41 60ft times with that same tire.. isn't an s2000 wheel +45 though? Are you going to run tons of spacer?

Yeah prob going to have to run at least a 1/2" spacer but i wont know till I get the tires mounted. Another option for me is a turboII rx7 rear wheel, same size with a little less offset. I really just want to be able to tuck the tire. Your car is an LT1 correct? Thats a killer 60ft, what sort of times have you run?

got pretty consistent in the 1/8 mile.. ran a lot of 6.30's @ 107-108.. always drove it to the track

my setup was a 383LT1, lots of spray, th350, 2800stall, 3.27 gears.

hard to read, but here are a couple of time slips
newbest.jpg

so my setup was... Cut ipd wagon overloads, bilstien HD's, Adjustable panhard, adjustable upper torque arms. I do not know how it worked so well, but it did! I hear that people always say these cars hook hard, so who knows. I never really "tuned" the suspension, it just worked.

I think the mickeys had the most to do with it honestly.

Did you do any strengthening to the rear lower control arms? I'm going to do my bushings this weekend and it would be the perfect time but not sure if is necessary.

Thanks

I did not, and never had any problems. It is kind of funny, but thinking about back, I never got around to installing a rear sway bar. I did have an ipd 25mm on the front though. pretty backwards for drag racing..

I see people bracing their lower arms on road race/autocross cars, but in reality you probably need them to flex a bit so the rear suspension does not bind while turning. boxed lower arms create nasty snap oversteer on nasa/scca solid axle road race cars. But for drag racing I can not see how the extra rigidity could hurt.

I scored the other day and turned 200 bucks into 700 so I went on a small shopping spree. I got valve springs from svedsled (thanks again!), cam for a LS9, chromoly pushrods, and the most important part....turbo! Got this tank of a Chinese "gt45", its only got a 70mm wheel but should still make 5-600 easily. These turbos are pretty well documented on lsx motors and seem to be decent in quality. I was going to do the huge cam/nitrous thing but I really like how it idles and drives like stock now. The LS9 cam is perfect for boost and will still idle perfectly. This will also let me use a taller rear gear so its not zinging the motor in the fast lane. Basically trying to copy this guy, my new hero. http://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-induction/1522770-my-79-fairmont.html Probably try to do a little better job on the fab though:-P

e09dc37a.jpg

Back