• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Volvo Automatic Discussion (part 2)

Clutchflyte. 'Member my stupid "manumatic" idea?

Edit: You can't get this stuff anymore. It was a fad, I guess.

Upgraded clutches and steels. Red eagle friction packs run ~$25 and $21 for forward, and low/reverse. (forward likely needs 2 sets), the kolene treated steels are about ~$10 less a pack.

Clutchflyte. 'Member my stupid "manumatic" idea?

Edit: You can't get this stuff anymore. It was a fad, I guess.

Yep back in my chevelle days that was going to be the next tranny if my Super T-10 blew up.

Back on topic. JL said talked a while back about swapping thicker steels for thinner ones in order to add more to the clutch pack. How would that work and where are the thicker and thinner steels to be found. Some one also commented on the worry that thinner steels would warp easier? Any truth to this?

Thanks
Renny

they seem to be increasingly rare in volvos at the JY.

Do they have integral bellhousings? They were used in all sorts of things that we got stateside (E28, E30, E32, E34, Pug 505, and some Jags). If you could swap the bellhousing and TC over, you could have a lot of trannies to choose from. At least out here, most of those Bimmers are autoboxes... some may even be electronically controlled. :e-shrug:

anybody try a bw55 bellhousing on a aw30-43 yet?

The only time I did anything like this was with a ZF. I used a Volvo tranny in a BMW. I swapped the bell, tail, main shaft and valve body (basically built one out of two). The only AWs' I have are from Volvos so I can't compare. I don't see a problem but you'd need them all side by side. No one will go out on a limb and tell you that it can be done. We'll have to see for ourselves.

So Kenny: When are you going to the boneyard? This weekend? I'm curious what unit you end up with. There are a number of different tail shaft lengths / housing configurations. I'm also curious if you are going to go ahead and experiment with rebuilding using a '71 tail shaft / planetary gear assembly.

Good luck!

The only time I did anything like this was with a ZF. I used a Volvo tranny in a BMW. I swapped the bell, tail, main shaft and valve body (basically built one out of two). The only AWs' I have are from Volvos so I can't compare. I don't see a problem but you'd need them all side by side. No one will go out on a limb and tell you that it can be done. We'll have to see for ourselves.

yeah i was only wondering because apparently the idea has yet to be explored and i only came up with it a few days ago and it would be super bitchin' for us all if it works.

So Kenny: When are you going to the boneyard? This weekend? I'm curious what unit you end up with. There are a number of different tail shaft lengths / housing configurations. I'm also curious if you are going to go ahead and experiment with rebuilding using a '71 tail shaft / planetary gear assembly.

Good luck!

I might get out there tomorrow afternoon, we'll see. If not then, then probably monday morning. I'm going to take a tape measure, and might do some junkyard creations (Swap **** at the yard, ahhah). I'm also waiting on an bw55 to fall into my lap, someone local is swapping theirs out for an aw70.

Well we know from the supra guys that you can swap the guts from the GTE automatic into the mk3 supra auto box, IF the bellhousing from the bw55 will bolt up to the 7m auto, we might be in business. I should have one of these (or a similar gearbox) in my possession in a day or two, borrowed from my Mk2 buddy. Who also, it so happens, has a 2jz auto floating around that one could try the bellhousing swap on.

fitment might not be the only issue at hand, there's also install depth, etc. even if it drops right on we might not be out of the woods.

It sounds like you are concerned about the same thing I am. We're talking about the area forward of the pump right? Basically where the torque convertor housed. I've allready noticed there is considerable variance between the KM148 housing and the 70/71 housing which causes me to wonder just how big the convertor on that thing was.

Now AnthonyH claims that others in Thailand are using a 372 and it's my assumption that that is with a '71 convertor.

http://forums.turbobricks.com/showpost.php?p=1390845&postcount=25

I really need to gain some understanding in this area. Lots of work on Turbine Dump has cut into my project time. :-(

I've got a junk AW71 sitting near me
i'm going to play with the bellhousing and a bandsaw tomorow and see if its not possible to cut it infront of the back plate and have it welded to the back plate of the removable AW30-40 bell housing

fitment might not be the only issue at hand, there's also install depth, etc. even if it drops right on we might not be out of the woods.

yeah depth may be an issue, hopefully the bw55 or 71 converter can be made to fit...

on a side note we are talking about a bw55 housing to aw30-43 guys, why are people talking about removing the 70/71 housing still?

IIRC the 960 t/c is uber slim and that may account for the housing depth because the inline 6 is so long i think they had to slim out the housing/converter to make the trans fit under the hump.

Last edited:
on a side note we are talking about a bw55 housing to aw30-43 guys, why are people talking about removing the 70/71 housing still?

OK. What is this thread about again? Swapping parts with 70/71's and A4x/372's or 30-40's. The 30-40 is a totally different animal with a totally different case. If you can bolt a 70/71 bellhousing onto one of those, I'll be suprised.

Do the BW's and 30-40's share the same case?

Back