• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

The backyard find

Looks like this car is cleaning up very nicely. I also think the Tourist and Diplomat cars are pretty cool, sold in Europe but clearly US spec. :)

Borrowing friend's camera for Thanksgiving. Snapped a few.

IMG_6230_zpsa356511d.jpg

IMG_6231_zps8cfd8215.jpg

_MG_6254_zps3f7d4ce4.jpg

Fixing the small problems continued today! I started today with no shift knob and no useable overdrive. Big shout out to Rogue Status for showing me how to work on the Volvo. His knowledge overwhelmed my brain. Overdrive wasn't working for two reason. No shift knob but also the wires were severed. Jason (Rogue) fixed the wiring, helped me install a "fresher" shift assembly, and got the knob to work. I had accidentally bought a five speed unit but Jason drilled a hole in the unit and it worked with some tweaking. Super happy about the appearance and the functionality of this fix!

Went from this
20141130_120758_zps0853e0d4.jpg

20141130_121333_zpsd9ee3af7.jpg

To This
20141130_182535_zps04ff4589.jpg

Super Modified M47 shifter!

How we do things in the 843

how do you like the fiat?

I enjoy it for what it is, a toy. It has a lot of small things that annoy me about it, but the sheer fun factor of the car allows me to ignore them. If the car was my dd I probably would get rid of it. However, as a weekend/autocross car I really like it. I took it to the dragon a few months back and had an absolute blast. The car very rarely understeered, even on the wet roads one day.

You can get a new sticker for your grille here for really cheap. The quality is great! He also has many other badges and stickers. http://www.davebarton.com/VolvoStickers.html things are looking great!

Thanks! Maybe an early Christmas present to me.

Well I tackled the passenger side trim today. A simple project that's not suppose to be frustrating. I purposely bought expensive spray paint to avoid any headache and of course the can I got was defective and didn't want to spray correctly on top of that my three year old wanted all my attention at the same time... It was great. However, the end product turned out ok.

Process: Tape and newspaper. Hit it with some sandpaper. Wipe everything down with alcohol solution. Primer. Paint.
Sun Damage
20141205_102608_zpsa96453ba.jpg

20141205_102614_zps1367b1a6.jpg

Primer
20141205_110301_zpsd46d3e30.jpg

Paint
20141205_112128_zpse4e32169.jpg

FInished
20141205_115528_zps260f7f7e.jpg

Well, no pictures today but definitely some progress.

1) Now running two serpentine belts, instead of just one
2) While trying to get the alternator off, the tensioner was seized so we took off the whole unit. Got it cleaned up some and got the bolt unfrozen.
3) While the alternator was off cleaned up some wiring around the alternator. The ground to the block was frayed so my friend helped me add new wiring. Also, found a red wire that went to no where! Not sure what it does. Would like to know.
4) I had all the ECU wiring unplugged found the vacuum line to the ECU was severely cracked so cut off a fresh end and reconnected.
5) All new belts installed and tensioned. The belts before were old, loose, and just whining so loud.
6) My horn and wipers work now? lol

Edit: Also, my brand new battery radomly died on me, took my multimeter and found a 4 amp draw on the #8 fuse. Just pulled it for now.

Last edited:
Looks like this car is cleaning up very nicely. I also think the Tourist and Diplomat cars are pretty cool, sold in Europe but clearly US spec. :)

The largest number of them probably came from military people stationed in Europe. There were Volvo offices (not showrooms, just offices) near most of the large bases where you could make an order for factory pickup. Usually the deal included free transportation to the factory (in Germany it was train to Kiel and then an overnight ferry to Gotenburg, pick the car up, and then right back on the ferry back to Kiel that afternoon) and free shipping back to CONUS when you PCS'd. I'm sure others were from diplomats and tourists, but with hundreds of thousands of GIs stationed in Germany, Italy, Spain, the UK and elsewhere at that time, figure the odds.

Great project and a nice looking car too!

3) While the alternator was off cleaned up some wiring around the alternator. The ground to the block was frayed so my friend helped me add new wiring. Also, found a red wire that went to no where! Not sure what it does. Would like to know.

Your car likely needs a replacement engine wiring harness. I would replace it before it causes further problems.

The red wire is probably the exciter wire that connects to the back of the alternator. It needs to be connected in order for the alternator to properly charge the battery. If it's not connected, you'll be replacing batteries frequently.

Your car likely needs a replacement engine wiring harness. I would replace it before it causes further problems.

The red wire is probably the exciter wire that connects to the back of the alternator. It needs to be connected in order for the alternator to properly charge the battery. If it's not connected, you'll be replacing batteries frequently.

I've got the big red wire attached to the alternator. This is a smaller gauged wire. Is the one you are talking about big or small?

Did some work today.

1) Replaced air filter, wasn't that bad.... :omg:
20141218_084710_zpsd07d9fbf.jpg

2) Replaced check valve on master cylinder. The cap had popped off.
20141218_092317_Burst01_zpscb1e17f6.jpg

3)Cleaned the MAF. The rag was white before I started.
20141218_085437_zps2938997f.jpg

4) Also installed some new/used Bosch spark plug wires and Bosch cap. Thanks again Jason. No pictures.

I also seafoamed the gas tank and in a vacuum line. Curious to see how it runs with the air filter, cleaned maf, and the seafoam.

Thanks everyone for the compliments.

Last edited:
No big news. The other morning it was 20 degrees outside and guessss what? I went to warm up my car and came out to a car that was about to over heat and a freezing cold cabin. Later in the day when it warmed up it ran normally. Decided to flush the coolant.

Check out the "coolant"
20150221_121601_zpsore5dzwe.jpg

Running like normal
20150221_130609_zpsv9qdlqiy.jpg

Back