• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Pig: '79 242 16vT

So I rewired the ECT sensor and relocated it to the stock spot in the head (530, the original 160 did not have the provision). Forgot that the other sensor I put in place to plug it had no washer. 45 minutes of taking off the intake manifold and fighting with a socket that was camming out later, I ground off the tip of the socket and chamfered the outer edges. Grinding is fun.

Anyway, all vacuum leaks are confirmed plugged. I also confirmed that the brake booster is leaking. Sigh. Another stupid thing to fix.

Another forced upgrade: one of the trans cooler lines was punctured on my way to grab the kid. Sprayed ATF all over the engine bay; turbo, manifold, crossmember, floor, face...Oh and I found an exhaust leak at the turbo flange. Starting to suspect it's an Ebay hotside...

Anyway, good thing I had this guy sitting around. Did not enjoy having to get myself disgusting and dropping a bunch of **** to get to the trans cooler line fittings. Ugh:

4964131E-9ABE-4C36-8945-86DD4B361F71.jpg

Visually? I'm thinking of spacing the front wheels another 15-20mm and to use 86+ front mudflaps as the old style ones broke off. Derp.

Don't use the newer plastic flaps. It's just all wrong. Just machine some metal where they bolt in. They will last a little longer. I'd love some rubber flaps. The plastic looks fake on the 240.

Don't use the newer plastic flaps. It's just all wrong. Just machine some metal where they bolt in. They will last a little longer. I'd love some rubber flaps. The plastic looks fake on the 240.

You mean the plastic looks plastic? My plan is to coat them with plastidip so that they match the rest of the trim better.

So I did a couple things over the weekend with some serious help from J. Gates and Crandandall. Basically put in the GTX and fabbed a downpipe for it. Neat. Then the next day I noticed the oil pressure idiot light was flickering. Not neat. Turned out to be expired wiring. Made a new instrument cluster harness and left the mechanical gauge (the one I used to confirm the engine was not in imminent danger of friction welding itself solid in my morning commute) in place. The hose for said gauge was rubbed open by a hose which resulted in a massive oil spill on my way home, which I noticed 2 miles before actually getting there. Had to stop every few blocks to let the manifold cool down enough to keep the car from simey_binkering itself to the ground, as the exhaust manifold was thoroughly coated in 15W40. Took me an hour to do 20 blocks but I got it home. Next morning I promptly went back to mom's in a less dangerous car and brought back tools and the sender, and fixed it all. Let it idle enough to evaporate most of the oil. All installation bugs and lazy stand-ins on my part should be sorted now.

As far as engine management goes, it must be said that LH 2.2 is seriously lacking. There is a gigantic torque dip at ~3000 RPM now (it sees 10 psi before then, yay!), and it is pinging at 11 psi (not yay). This might be the next thing to be done. Maybe the Truetrac next. I don't know.

As for the TB03 that came with the car...well it turned out to be a genuine Garrett T3, original to a 740 Turbo. It just so happened to have an Ebay turbine housing designed for a bigger turbine wheel. Explains why it was so laggy. As an added bonus the car idles and putters around at low speed a lot better now. Probably because much less oil is blowing into the intake and exhaust. Another yay.

Happy it wasn't a transfer tube o-ring in the end. More pics...

Last edited:
Nice to see the GTX2860R made it onto the car - now get a proper calibration / engine management system and I'm sure you won't have anything else to say about "torque dips." :)

FYI, if you want to clean up the mottled appearance of the compressor housing, a piece of red scotch-brite works wonders. The splotchy coloration is only on the surface.

Sounds good! I will do that once I get around to powereashing the whole bay. Had to get creative with the water cooling btw. 2 hours to mount turbo, 6 to fettle with all the fiddly stuff.

As for the torque dip; pretty sure it's going way rich and pulling timing. Can't tell as my UEGO sensor was crushed over the weekend. I was planning on adding a ton of timing and plugging in an MSD 6 BTM prior to megasquirting but there is something funky going on with that box--there are no inputs for boost nor for the control knob. Weird.

Have you even read through any previous posts? Runs as well ad 2.2 should. It just isn't a good fit for a performance application.

Tried Simon's chipped ezk. Stock fuel map with his spark map works best here, as there is no extra accel enrichment. Much better low and mid range without ping when shifting gears.

Also added just enough load to delay the wastsegate cracking point. Still 10.5-11 psi, but much stronger across the board. I'll turn it up a couple pounds and see how it does. Boost response is already telepathic. This turbo is now positively telepathic in its response.

Back