home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > maintenance & nonperformance

Old 01-01-2019, 04:30 PM   #1
districtmotors
Board Member

Default Two Questions re: Noise Dampening Insulation

1. Are there any brands that truly stand out among the pack?
2. Has anyone used this to line the pieces that line the top of the cargo area in the wagon?

PAYMENT
If purchasing, my PayPal is mjlaperch@gmail.com. Please send as "Goods/Services" so I can print the label directly from PayPal. I typically ship USPS Priority Mail and include that in the fee. If the item is bigger it ships USPS Retail Ground.

MY FEEDBACK:
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showth...90#post5641690
districtmotors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 07:06 PM   #2
c1800
Board Member

Some informative reading here :

https://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com
c1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 07:55 PM   #3
Kestrel
Board Member

Adding insulation by itself won't really quiet the car down. (Been there, done that.) It helps reduce vibration of the panels, but if the panel doesn't vibrate at some resonant frequency already (and the Volvos tended to use some thicker sheet metal, so that wasn't a problem), then you'll see no benefit.

At that point, more mass is what is going to block out road noise etc. Quiet cars have mass loaded vinyl (MLV) panels inside the doors / body, and that's what really helps keep dBs down.
Kestrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 08:07 PM   #4
Redwood Chair
K-jet For Life

^

I peeled a bunch of that dyna-mat crap out of the back floor of my wagon to save weight when I got it, and didn't notice any difference at all.

Image hosted by servimg.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiperfauto View Post
Folks on here don't know a good deal when they see it.
how psi stock cna support?

Redwood Chair is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 01:36 AM   #5
districtmotors
Board Member

The real need is to strengthen the floppy old
piece of cardboard that goes along the right of the wagons cargo area. Any ideas there?
districtmotors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 01:57 AM   #6
gsellstr
Vintage anti-ricer

I did add some tar backed foil roof flashing to the inside of the roof in my wagon to see how it helped. For $15 a roll to test, it's TB cheap. It definitely did reduce NVH slightly and reduced interior temps during the summer as well. Also did the backside of the hood with the same stuff, made a really nice difference there, plus it keeps the heat off the hood. A hard beating and the top of the hood will be just a bit over ambient, not enough to bake your hand.
Mick Starkey "TrickMick" 1/10/14
Mark Baldwin "blue850t5" 7/19/18
Nick Fengler "fengler" 8/6/18
Thomas Fritz "stealthfti" 10/11/18

74 144 B20
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=224983

90 745Ti
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=334698

If you need Superpro bushings PM me for price and availability!
gsellstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 02:34 AM   #7
Redwood Chair
K-jet For Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by districtmotors View Post
The real need is to strengthen the floppy old
piece of cardboard that goes along the right of the wagons cargo area. Any ideas there?
'Glass it.
Redwood Chair is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 10:35 PM   #8
Kjets On a Plane
Devoid of Luxury

Location: SoCal Rat-Racer/Douche/Rich Puke Playground, Formerly Pacific Wonderland

Picturing a bunch of stuff added to the panels, glued together plastic and rockwool fire/sound deadening bat being stuffed in everyone’s hoopts. Random Home Depot reflective stuff and tar heh, rock wool commercial fire batt probably isn’t on a Tb budget.

To be fair, all the tar junk and door seals have only been drying out for the last 25-40something years, and it’s not like everyone owns a no miles garaged cool weather car with no uv/sun or rough roads to shake all that stuff apart for the most part here. Or owns a perfectly straight car with “perfect” (Volvo ‘standards’) Panel gaps with perfectly adjusted latches and strikers that’s never been in a collision of any kind.
They’re pretty quiet when they’re kept in basically “as new” condition.
All that plastic isn’t all dried out and creaking, rubber stoppers aren’t shrunken and so on.

The late cloth interior cars are pretty quiet 1991-1993, wagons are definitely not as quiet as a 244 though.

Go look at a W124 diesel Benz if you want to see the pinnicle of 80s sound deadening on a (relative (read: not Rolls Royce or the like) mid-size car budget? After you’re done lifting the ~700lbs of foam /butyl mats and seamlessly glued goo between all the thick sheet metal and double wall firewall and double wall gas tank between trunk/cabin and 3 muffler colvoluted mess out of it, it should become clear? Probably?..

245 is tough if you want it Benz quiet, you’re essentially driving around in a bazooka tube sub-woofer. Big open glass back and narrowing front with a curved windscreen to focus it back right into your ears...
Some other cars with narrower back ends are better but the visibility and cargo bay aren’t as good/useful, so pick your poison?

On the bright side, it could be an (even more) efficient use of space that still fits in avg Joe’s 7ft tall single high garage door and maneuvers into very small parking spots (vanagon). Significantly louder (engine in the back of the resonant chamber) that’s very under powered running wide open almost just to keep with traffic out of reach of the hackers/molesters/cheap hobbiest pricing now and only collected.
Given some time though...

Also, some tires are just terribly loud. The soft compound deep tread Michelins are usually quiet and run in balance nicely if the wheels/hubs aren’t bent.

240s also transmit a bunch of noise from the rear axle. All the rubber bushings have to be supple but tight, u joints perfect and so on. Even then you can see they kinda never got them right as some late cars have rubber damper things clamped onto the rear axles and the driveline center support has a ridiculous amount of rubber in it as the dricelines got larger and heavier. Further, the late torque rods dampen noise ok, but wear quickly if beat on/driven on rough roads and the cars are shortish wheelbase and sensitive to pinion angle/resonances, and a few I’ve had Volvo built crooked it would seem, all of which were 1980 cars.

700s eliminate a lot of the inherent live axle noise/resonance issues, but the padded headliner falls in your eyes and can’t be wiped clean, cargo bay opening isn’t as tall, ground clearance is worse, and the axle bushings are about the size of your head and all ability to control the balance of the car is so vague that they really aren’t for people who want involvement in the driving experience stock. And the wagons are still inherently a good bit Louder than sedans with a bunch more creaky plastic /rattle sources as they age basically negating anything Volvo over did to make them quieter than the base 2 series.
If you send me $20 I'll send you a how-to explaining how to make $20 from people on the internet.

Last edited by Kjets On a Plane; 01-07-2019 at 11:20 PM..
Kjets On a Plane is offline   Reply With Quote