home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > maintenance & nonperformance

Old 01-11-2019, 01:21 AM   #1
t8fanning
8v are still cool, right?

Default Available Heater Core Brands

I've pulled the heater box on my 240 to fix the recirculation door actuator and blower motor and figure I might as well replace my heater core while it's all out. I've read/heard bad things about pretty much every brand except OEM. What is my best course of action? Keep using the OEM one with an unknown remaining lifespan? Buy a ready aire from IPD? Buy one from amazon with plastic end tanks? Try to find a new OEM one? I haven't noticed any symptoms of my current core failing yet, but I don't want to pull it out again.
Old 01-11-2019, 01:40 AM   #2
Bolzen
Board Member

I wouldn't risk plastic in this application unless it's something like PTFE which isn't the case. Aluminum might do in principle if made with the correct flow management and probably can last as long, but it doesn't purify the air as good as copper/brass. Probably this is the reason why OEM part was made of that material.
Bolzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 04:53 PM   #3
dl242gt
300+hp on the shelf club

Have your heater core pressure tested if you are worried about it. If it passes and doesn't have any signs of corrosion damage. I would just keep using the original. They are the best and aren't reproduced.
dl242gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 08:59 PM   #4
nel621
Board Member

^ this
nel621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 09:48 PM   #5
RvolvoR
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by t8fanning View Post
I've pulled the heater box on my 240 to fix the recirculation door actuator and blower motor and figure I might as well replace my heater core while it's all out. I've read/heard bad things about pretty much every brand except OEM. What is my best course of action? Keep using the OEM one with an unknown remaining lifespan? Buy a ready aire from IPD? Buy one from amazon with plastic end tanks? Try to find a new OEM one? I haven't noticed any symptoms of my current core failing yet, but I don't want to pull it out again.
Ive put the brass replacement units in a good number of cars now with no issues. I have only heard/seen 1-2 failing in a short duration after install. I think those might or might not have been because of people not putting foam tape around the outside of the core to dampen vibrations to it.
RvolvoR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 02:54 PM   #6
GTJordan
Been here for too long

Take it to a radiator shop to have a new core put into it. I know a few locals who've done it successfully. I put in a plastic/metal unit in my 740 and it leaked within a year.