home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > maintenance & nonperformance

Old 10-23-2018, 05:32 PM   #26
Wren
Porkchop Sandwiches

Sadly, the '93 condenser doesn't bolt up in the '85- radiator support. I wish it did as it would have saved me a lot of work fitting universal parallel-flow condensers on the older cars that I've worked on. Additionally, the '93-only condenser is now only available from Volvo. No more in the aftermarket, which is a shame as the one from Volvo is around $350. They do, however, work great in the '86+ cars.

While the '93-style compressor was a 1-year only affair in the 240, 940's used that same Seiko compressor through '95. Some versions that I have seen here in the eastern US have a small diameter pulley for the 240's while I've been told that they also came with the larger pulleys when installed in 240's in other parts of the country that are the same diameter as used on 940's.

Also, the late 240 pusher fan won't fit in the early sheetmetal either at least not without modifications. Yeah, yeah, I know....

Wren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 05:53 PM   #27
Harlard
Pro Sneaker Peddler

As far as I can tell all AC compressors are more or less the same, dimensionally. I also happen to know that the 260 radiator is 24*17". Remember I am not afraid of cutting sheetmetal and fabricating bracketry.

https://coldhose.com/parallel-flow-c...nser-1693.html

https://coldhose.com/compressors/new...ompressor.html

Any reason either of these won't work?

Herr Harlard am Erstens

1979 242 DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by t8fanning View Post
My knob has a big chunk of steel on it
Harlard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 09:48 PM   #28
Harlard
Pro Sneaker Peddler

Forgot to add: going to wire the electric fan the way it works in a 940. No need for a wimpy pusher fan to get in the way of my intercooler.
Old 01-04-2019, 03:12 PM   #29
Harlard
Pro Sneaker Peddler

Update: ended up scoring a complete '93 system. Just ordered a new receiver, and o-ring kit.

One last question, pertaining the orifice tube: should I get a self-adjusting one? What brand should I get?
Old 01-04-2019, 03:23 PM   #30
smeha
Tranny Whisperer

I did a mistake by not replacing tubes on mine back few years ago.
With new compressor, dryer, valve and o rings it still leaking a bit. Sucks, but have no money to redo it. BECAUSE R12 IS SO EXPENSIVE and hard to find a shop with a machine that works with the system in California and thats what I decide to stay with back in a day.
Quote:
I've been molested by a guy who happened to own 7 and 9 series
<--- Just a dumpster on fire
smeha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 03:31 PM   #31
Harlard
Pro Sneaker Peddler

Quote:
Originally Posted by smeha View Post
I did a mistake by not replacing tubes on mine back few years ago.
With new compressor, dryer, valve and o rings it still leaking a bit. Sucks, but have no money to redo it. BECAUSE R12 IS SO EXPENSIVE and hard to find a shop with a machine that works with the system in California and thats what I decide to stay with back in a day.
I mean, you can vacuum out the R12 and oil and do this instead if you don't find a 93 to lift the metric fittings from...

https://parts.smithvolvo.com/p/Volvo.../9145666.html?
Old 01-04-2019, 03:38 PM   #32
smeha
Tranny Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlard View Post
I mean, you can vacuum out the R12 and oil and do this instead if you don't find a 93 to lift the metric fittings from...

If I recall after fixing the system I paid about $300-400 to a shop for flushing, tests and filling with fresh R12 and oil my system. I will wait till it will stop working and redo hoses and switch to R134a. Also, you don't need volvo retrofit. With new compressor there all I need is a flush, new dryer, R134a fittings and proper oil with R134a

Kit is $200+
Fittings and dryer by themselves are about $50-70 total
Old 01-04-2019, 03:48 PM   #33
dbarton
Bored Member

Quote:

I'm not aware of any metric fittings in 240 AC. Mine are all standard o-ring fittings. The first ones here: https://coldhose.com/fittings.html

It really pays off in the end to learn to do your own AC work on an old Volvo. Shops will charge a lot for work you can do yourself if you put your mind to it.
Dave B.

'84 242ti, owned since 2003. Always garaged since brand new. Old-school rounds because. B21FT, iPd Springs/Sways, SDS EFI/IGN, TD04HL-15G, T5Z trans with 0.73 OD retrofitted, 3.91 diff with G80.
Volvo seeks Divorce from Volvo Enthusiast Community: www.prancingmoose.com/#novolvo
Dave's Volvo Page: www.davebarton.com
dbarton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 03:50 PM   #34
Harlard
Pro Sneaker Peddler

The 93 R134 240 stuff uses metric nuts with standard hose sizes. It's kind of a pain in the ass. I'm now off to find a 93-95 940 T compressor to accumulator line to make sure that stuff all plays nice together as the 240 line is guaranteed to fail in my application.
Old 01-04-2019, 03:51 PM   #35
smeha
Tranny Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarton View Post
I'm not aware of any metric fittings in 240 AC. Mine are all standard o-ring fittings. The first ones here: https://coldhose.com/fittings.html

It really pays off in the end to learn to do your own AC work on an old Volvo. Shops will charge a lot for work you can do yourself if you put your mind to it.
Dave B.
Dave you are partially right, but how many people on here own A/C machines? So after you do the A/C work on broken/vacuumed car, then most of us still need to go to the shop for flush/vacuum/refill.
Old 01-04-2019, 05:45 PM   #36
dbarton
Bored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smeha View Post
Dave you are partially right, but how many people on here own A/C machines? So after you do the A/C work on broken/vacuumed car, then most of us still need to go to the shop for flush/vacuum/refill.
Never heard of flushing an AC system, but I don't see why you can't do that yourself. And if you're worried about evacuating freon to save the ozone, not needed with hydrocarbon refrigerant like Duracool.
Other than a vacuum pump, this is the only AC machine I own:

Last edited by dbarton; 01-04-2019 at 05:50 PM..
dbarton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 09:30 PM   #37
TestPoint
Board Member

If you have had a compressor failure or unaware of such on a new-to-you vehicle it is best to flush the entire system. I took mine apart by each and every hose and part and flushed with brake cleaner. New 'O' rings throughout. Otherwise you are going to have trash circulating until it clogs up the expansion valve and stops the whole system.

The gauge set at HF is about $50. A vacuum pump at HF is about $80. Mine has restored 3 cars and works fine.

Cheaper than an hour of an AC tech's time.

1982 Volvo 245 with a Ford 302 V8

Ford V8 Conversion Manual -
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=250257

Bertone Restoration - http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=256460
TestPoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 10:08 PM   #38
Harlard
Pro Sneaker Peddler

Boys,

Self-adjusting orifice tube or Volvo orifice tube?
Old 01-04-2019, 10:12 PM   #39
smeha
Tranny Whisperer

Quote:
Boys,

I don't think I have that in my 1988 240, but again I ran original design with R12
Old 01-04-2019, 10:33 PM   #40
Harlard
Pro Sneaker Peddler

Nah, this is 91-93 specific
Old 01-05-2019, 07:44 AM   #41
Hutch.
Board Member

I don’t have an orifice tube in my older setup but, when I was researching updating to the 91-93 system everyone said go with self adjusting.

Will fly for parts.
Hutch. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 07:38 PM   #42
Texas240
Prius Owner

You can buy AC flush in a compressed can at most Auto Parts store. Ive use it several times on my system then I used compressed air through the whole system.
Old 01-05-2019, 07:52 PM   #43
TestPoint
Board Member

A quart of A/C flush at NAPA is $35. It took 2 cans of brake cleaner at $2.50 each to do the same thing. The condenser is the most difficult part. Fill it with the liquid and slosh that around in a removed unit then blow it out with compressed air.
TestPoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 09:57 AM   #44
DET17
Reformed SAABaholic

Quote:
Boys,

Per the UK wizards on the 700/900 Maint pages (Volvo Klub UK) they strongly recommend the variable OT. I paid the $36 for mine which is sleeping in the 940 as it is being repainted.... and also winter season in NW GA. Per the Klub..... the VOT makes all the difference in traffic and stop/go conditions; no real benefit at highway speeds. I dont recall if I took a pic of the P/N in my build thread or not.... too long ago.

So NOW you are going complete '93 system in your early vehicle..... which Wren declares for which the condenser doesn't fit with butchery? I'm still holding my full 93 system for my 242.... awaiting to see your photos of "making it fit".......

Feedback thread: http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=198746
DET17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 12:28 PM   #45
Harlard
Pro Sneaker Peddler

Everything fits with some creativity!
Old 01-06-2019, 02:11 PM   #46
RvolvoR
Board Member

The condenser bolts right in after drilling a few holes. I have a complete 93 system in my 80 245.
RvolvoR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 02:13 PM   #47
RvolvoR
Board Member

Quote:

You don’t “vacuum out” the oil. You have to pull the system apart and clean/drain stuff.
RvolvoR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 02:32 PM   #48
mikeleslie
Board Member

I have the 1976 242 apart now and have done the heater core and blower motor. I want the AC to work so do I have to get the AC core from a 93 in there or can I use that from the 1976 and change everything else? I wanted to do the rough in if you will and finish hooking it up in the summer.

...michael
mikeleslie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 01:38 PM   #49
DET17
Reformed SAABaholic

Quote:
Everything fits with some creativity!
Share your pics of the necessary “creativity “. I intend to run the 93 system with a 960 compressor with my whiteblock B5244T5.
DET17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 02:24 PM   #50
Harlard
Pro Sneaker Peddler

Are you putting a whiteblock in your 940?

Getting it to fit involves poking 4 holes on the uprights of the core support and bending some thin sheetmetal 75 degrees. Hardly a drastic change. Just checked last night in fact