home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > maintenance & nonperformance

Old 01-03-2019, 12:02 PM   #1
ktm450
Board Member

Default Tires for my 1993 940 T, can't find a tire that works in the rain

Hello,
I hate to start another tire thread but, I have had 4 sets of tires on this car and everyone has been TERRIBLE in the rain. I mean white knickle driving everytime it rains. I know that in wet or snow conditions, it is all about the tires. The last tire I put on it (mistake! DO NOT BUY THESE TIRES) are the Toyo Celcius. I bought them, knowing that these are rated as a winter tire but, shouldn't they be good on wet roads too? WRONG! Uphill right hand turns from a stop, spins the right rear like a pickup truck with baogna skin tires on it, when they were new! Hydroplane on really wet roads etc. Is this car especially difficult to get tires to stick?

After drivng the sure footed (not as sure footed with bigger sways) 240's, for 40 years, I am stumped as to why this car (longer wheelbase?) is so damn hard to find tires that work?

I am going to costco to get Michelin Defenders this month. I have heard and read nothing but good things about these tires. I am hoping that they will work on this car. Any input, or suggestions before I pop for another 500.00 for tires would be apprecited. Thanks!

KTM450
Old 01-03-2019, 12:58 PM   #2
Redwood Chair
K-jet For Life

Toyos suck.

<--- A +1 vote for Defenders on a DD, I got a couple new ones for $75 ea and mounted them myself at a friend's shop ftw.

Image hosted by servimg.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiperfauto View Post
Folks on here don't know a good deal when they see it.
how psi stock cna support?

Redwood Chair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 12:59 PM   #3
Harlard
80/20 speed parts club

Since you are in Ohio, it would pay to spend the bit of extra dough up front and get winter and summer tires. All seasons are a false economy when it's icy and snowy for a significant portion of the year.

Michelin X Ice 3 or Bridgestone WS80 for when it's snowy and icy, Continental ExtremecontactSport for when water turns liquid again.

Herr Harlard am Erstens

1979 242 DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by t8fanning View Post
My knob has a big chunk of steel on it
Harlard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 03:42 PM   #4
VB242
A tough rowing ho

I like the bf Goodrich G-force sport comp-2 a/s and have recently purchased general g-max tires which are also outstanding in the rain. My only complaint with the general is the tread pattern tends to tram line on grooved pavement where the Goodrich didn't.
Old 01-03-2019, 03:59 PM   #5
towerymt
the real Towery

I used the previous version of these and they were very good in heavy rain, as well as on wet roads as far as lateral grip and launch / take-off-from-a-stop. so when that set wore out, I bought the new version to replace them. I like that I don't have to adjust my driving just because it's wet outside.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...eContact+Sport

I drove on a coating of snow a few times with these at half tread or better and the car did move, so I wasn't totally stranded. But I use snow tires when it actually snows, and so should you.

I had previously had some ~10yr old 205/55/16 all seasons that couldn't hook up from a stop at all, and rolling on the throttle in 2nd gear would spin so easily, it was frustrating. If you're trying hard tires (wear rating over ~500), they might just be hard tires that won't grip well when it's slick out.
towerymt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 07:56 PM   #6
Marvelous3
Who engineered this?

16's

Michelin pilot as 3's have been the best all seasons I've used.

1990 240dl Kaplhenke Coilover Daily
1991 245+16 Valve Turbo Microsquirt
Need Hyundai or Genesis parts? PM me for Genuine Hyundai or Genesis parts
Marvelous3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 08:35 PM   #7
ktm450
Board Member

Thanks for the responses. Redwood, Yes toyos suck big! They are only a year old, and they are coming off.

A little more info. I am in the extreme south of Ohio. Our winters are lame. Every once in a while, we will get some snow. So, if we ever get any snow, I will be parking the 940 T and driving my 245 wagon with general altimax arctic tires on all 4's. So, I am more concerned with wet than snow for this car.

Also, this car isn't ever driven hard. Mostly a grocery getter.

KTM450

Last edited by ktm450; 01-03-2019 at 08:43 PM.. Reason: forgot something
ktm450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 09:01 PM   #8
Harlard
80/20 speed parts club

Ok, get the extremecontactsports and never look back
Old 01-03-2019, 09:52 PM   #9
MrD
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvelous3 View Post
16's

Michelin pilot as 3's have been the best all seasons I've used.
Pilot sport A/s 3+ Are the next gen and have better snow traction.
Old 01-03-2019, 10:33 PM   #10
Harlard
80/20 speed parts club

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrD View Post
Pilot sport A/s 3+ Are the next gen and have better snow traction.
I had the pevious gen and am rocking the as3+ in the Acura. Still not great in the snow. Fantastic otherwise. Would still rather use a ps4s instead.
Old 01-03-2019, 10:44 PM   #11
MrD
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlard View Post
I had the pevious gen and am rocking the as3+ in the Acura. Still not great in the snow. Fantastic otherwise. Would still rather use a ps4s instead.
Yep i had both on the soobie, the 3’s were terrible, the 3+ are better than the 3s.
MrD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 11:50 PM   #12
woodenpudden
lacks goats

I've run the aforementioned Continentals, General G-max, and BFgoodrich for years, all really good in the rain. Goodyear Eagle F1 asymmetric are also really good/predictable in the rain, have had them on two cars now.

Flunt delivers!
woodenpudden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 12:24 AM   #13
c1800
Board Member

Check out tirerack, they have a rating system based on thousands of owner reports. Shows several categories such as comfort(noise and ride) and wet and dry traction, and others.

Good luck.

An example

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/surve...jsp?type=UHPAS
c1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 05:34 AM   #14
Otto Mattik
Board Member

Quote:
Since you are in Ohio, it would pay to spend the bit of extra dough up front and get winter and summer tires. All seasons are a false economy when it's icy and snowy for a significant portion of the year.

Michelin X Ice 3 or Bridgestone WS80 for when it's snowy and icy, Continental ExtremecontactSport for when water turns liquid again.

I agree, I've had good luck with Nokian's dedicated winter tires(look for mountain logo) & don't fool around with "all season" (waste of time) any more

Desperate need of elf assistant for interior work - Cash/Beer option $

Feedback Link: forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=323689

Last edited by Otto Mattik; 01-14-2019 at 03:35 AM..
Otto Mattik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 06:06 AM   #15
Fa182
Stage 1

+1 for Continental

Since I started to use only Continental for summer (Premium Contact) and winter (Wintercontact TS860), I noticed what huge difference tires can actually make in the wet and snow (we get very slippery roads here sometimes in winter due to the salty slush). They are superior to everything else I've tried and they continuously rank on the podium in the tests of our local AAA and its German counterpart.
Worth to spend the extra bucks, but I'm not sure if you get these models in the US as well.
Old 01-04-2019, 08:09 AM   #16
Marvelous3
Who engineered this?

Quote:
I don't think you can get the ps4s in 16". I would have much rather put Super Sports on my grey car but they're not available in 16's which is how I ended up in the AS3+.

Continentals ride like truck tires to me and I've always had good luck with Michelins. I'm sure any of the major brands top tier tires will be good tires. I'm always a little confused by people who will skimp 20-30 dollars per tire on something they're going to have for the next 40-60k miles and hours of their life. Like what's an extra $150 for something that you're going to have for the next 3-5 years and will NEED when things get weird outside. /rantoff
Marvelous3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 01:56 PM   #17
Harlard
80/20 speed parts club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvelous3 View Post
I don't think you can get the ps4s in 16". I would have much rather put Super Sports on my grey car but they're not available in 16's which is how I ended up in the AS3+.

Continentals ride like truck tires to me and I've always had good luck with Michelins. I'm sure any of the major brands top tier tires will be good tires. I'm always a little confused by people who will skimp 20-30 dollars per tire on something they're going to have for the next 40-60k miles and hours of their life. Like what's an extra $150 for something that you're going to have for the next 3-5 years and will NEED when things get weird outside. /rantoff
Coming from Cheapskate Extraordinaire, that's saying something

I had the opposite experience with Contis. All of the ones I have sampled tended to ride a bit better than Michelins. The Extremecontactsport is available in 16" sizes and is nearly as good as the PS4S.

My take is that these summer tires are better than winter tires at almost any temperature in the dry and wet. All seasons and winters are only good if there is freezing water forming on the road surface. You only need all seasons if you drive enough to wear out your tires in less than 5 years and have no room to store a spare set. Otherwise, separate summer and winter tires is the way to go.
Old 01-04-2019, 02:56 PM   #18
dl242gt
300+hp on the shelf club

I change tires seasonally and this past couple sets of winter tires I cheaped out and bought discount tires that were nos. The last set were three year old stock Falken Euro winter in 205-60-15. A good size for pot holes and bad roads of the winter. They were $250 for a set of four and they have been great in the rain and very good in the snow.

This is the cold rain of the winter. So a winter tire with it's softer compound will respond and handle very well. Also I didn't see mention of tire pressure. What do you run your tires at? If you use 40psi in your tires for example because you want maximum mileage. Your car is going to suck in the rain no matter what type of tire.

I run my winter tires at 33-34psi most of the time. But if I need traction I will lower it to 30. I don't like to run them lower than that. These are on the 93 wagon.
dl242gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 03:06 PM   #19
SquareD
An Anomaly

Contis tend to have softer sidewalls and ride better. Michelins theoretically last longer but are usually considerably more expensive. I'd probably recommend some Conti's myself. I've had a few sets and always been happy with them.
1994 945ti | 15g @ 14psi, Turbosmart EBC, AEM Failsafe WB, 3"/2.5" exhaust, do88 intercooler, iPd cam, STS cam gear, Ostrich LH tune, sbabbs EZK chip, green giants, K&N, Yoshifab CCV/Can/Cap, iPd SS brake lines, TME, Eibach, BNE, Koni suspension, iPd sways, iPd panhard, Cherry Turbos upper/lower braces, forged BBS RG-Rs, Michelin Pilot SS, ecodes, V90 bits.
1985 744ti | 13.8 @ 100.5 mph - Sold after 20 years.
SquareD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 02:24 PM   #20
JohnLane
Board Member

I use Contis on the MB for all seasons. Almost as good as Michelin Pilot Sport in the summer, excellent in the rain and not scary in ice/snow. They last wayyy better then the pencil eraser Michelins and are quiet for 75% of their life.
Old 01-13-2019, 10:59 AM   #21
dalek
Benchracer Tribe

I use dracos in my car, so I am stuck to 15" for the time being, and having been buying 185/65 R15 tires. Is there a better (more options) size for that rim?
"Use the barbed adapter like what I use to inflate the air camping mattresses and my dates." FTF Engineering
i am inspired. i will replace my windsheild... with an intercooler.swedishK
Feedback!
dalek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 11:48 AM   #22
freevolvos
Board Member

Hard to beat the winterforce in snow and rain for the price, you'll get about 2-3 years out of them running year around, they are a bit noisy tho
freevolvos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 04:27 PM   #23
dirtbag240
Board Member

for my winter and rain tires, i have nokin Hakkapeliitta 9's studded and Nokian wrg3s for the rainy season and so far they have been absolutely fantastic, super controllable when the grip does run out and amazingly drivable in the snow both of them
dirtbag240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 01:55 PM   #24
Harlard
80/20 speed parts club

Quote:
Originally Posted by freevolvos View Post
Hard to beat the winterforce in snow and rain for the price, you'll get about 2-3 years out of them running year around, they are a bit noisy tho
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtbag240 View Post
for my winter and rain tires, i have nokin Hakkapeliitta 9's studded and Nokian wrg3s for the rainy season and so far they have been absolutely fantastic, super controllable when the grip does run out and amazingly drivable in the snow both of them
Summer tires are better in rain, every time.
Old 01-14-2019, 03:38 PM   #25
gsellstr
Vintage anti-ricer

Good info on the new Conti's...debated those before my current set of Potenza's, probably will go Conti again next set.

For the OP, I've run the Conti DWS and the newer DWS06 on the wife's car with very solid results. Heavy rain, standing water, really no issues. The DWS were on her 850R, ran 2 sets. Had them on coming thru the mountains, hit some ice and they held surprisingly well, but that car also had TRACS to help. Never had an issue with hydroplaning as long as I was driving relatively sane. Her current car (V50T5 AWD) has the DWS06's on it. I've been thru some random standing water at 70mph and aside from the noise they just stuck. Can't really spin a tire on the car anyway, but tire grip has been great. Handling on the DWS06 is MUCH better than the previous DWS, meaning I can actually push the car a bit during the summer as well. It's still stock suspension-wise, also a grocery getter.

My findings with Conti have also found they have softer sidewalls than Falken and Bridgestone, so a much nicer ride. The only downfall is the corners aren't built up as much so they tend to wear the shoulders more than I'd like. They are also a good bit cheaper than some other options, also lighter.
Mick Starkey "TrickMick" 1/10/14
Mark Baldwin "blue850t5" 7/19/18
Nick Fengler "fengler" 8/6/18
Thomas Fritz "stealthfti" 10/11/18

74 144 B20
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=224983

90 745Ti
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=334698

If you need Superpro bushings PM me for price and availability!
gsellstr is offline   Reply With Quote