home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > maintenance & nonperformance

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2019, 06:03 PM   #1
nickvolvo746
Board Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: New Jersey
Question help me be cool?? build-a-brick

1990 760 turbo---302,000 miles, still pretty good though.

Just another noob trying to make his antique go vroom.

Below, I have an outline for my not so master plan for what I want and need to do to my car to ensure it has a healthy life. I am particularly interested in what yall will think of the turbo and transmission idea I have at the bottom, but any input here would be greatly appreciated (and I already look at every post I can for guidance, I am simply trying to be less of a noob and maybe some of you learned folk out there enjoy schooling kids like me). Tell me what to do, what not to do, tell me im an idiot, show me your ways!

In college right now so there is no chance of working on the car until may, so I want a nice plan of action.

WHATS ALREADY BEEN DONE (very short list, its embarrassing)
-Boost gauge
-calipers, pads, rotors in the front
-stupid but nice wood panel for the spare wheel hatch
-swapped out powered leather seats with manual cloth
-fixed radio antennae
-fixed seat belts
-


What I plan to DEFINITELY do and probably should do over the summer:
-new spark plugs (good ones)
-as many new hoses as possible
-new air filter, get rid of the box and put on a cone
-blow off valve for cool noises (already got one from my other car so no money spending here)
-coolant flush
-ATF flush
-sea foam the entire thing and then do oil change (will take off cat for this, I hear they can get clogged with carbon, also I wanna hear it scream)
-also oil cooler flush
-reinstate my manual boost controller (ran into some problems where the boost would cut, likely due to bad hose, not enough fuel, not really sure, like I said, noob
-install wideband sensor
-brake fluid change
-pads+rotors
-blower fan for AC/HEAT
-check turbo for signs of wear/play (relatively new turbo stock turbo, around 20-30k on it now)
-find and fix oil leak or leaks

What I plan to MAYBE do, but perhaps should not bother with:
-fix sun roof (currently gets stuck), possibly make it manual crank?
-add a light bar or other LED lights somewhere discrete to add visibility at night
-upgrade turbo (I already have a mitsu 16g that is on my 740 (it might need a rebuild, we shall see), along with the manifold and a downpipe, but no exhaust system yet. Im in Jersey so I dont need a CAT and honestly I might just straight pipe it for a little while)
-take out fuel pump and check it out, maybe clean it if need be
-new injectors
-switch to better tranny (I have one on my 740 that was from an NA car (sorry, no clue what model it is, but it is auto and has the whole 4 gears and then that extra "gear" for lower rpms on the highway. it is also pinned so as to shift faster and save the clutches. I will probably take the pin out of first gear cause theres no point in it clunking the way it does from park or neutral, but its nice for the rest of the gears.
-new tune (much more research needs to be done for this one, I have zero clue how the ECU works its magic, if you know a good thread that will teach me please refer me


If you read all this, youre a baller, I love you, and you also have almost as much time to kill as I do so high five mate! (why is my winter break so long)

Cheers!
nickvolvo746 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 03:07 PM   #2
tintintin
Board Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickvolvo746 View Post
"...it is auto and has the whole 4 gears and then that extra "gear" for lower rpms on the highway."
I believe that is called "Overdrive."
tintintin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 03:42 PM   #3
iHateVolvoPeople
Board Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Midwest
Default

**** I always thought they were 3 speed + overdrive.
__________________
Feedback Thread
Current:
93' 244T m47
93' 245 m47
90' 744 AW70
94' M-Edition Miata, 93k
95' Camry auto, 246k
Past:
80' 242gt m46
88' 245T m47
92' 945T AW71
94' 945T AW71
iHateVolvoPeople is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 07:13 PM   #4
tintintin
Board Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Default

Could be. On my ZF4HP22L it is 4 + Lockup.
tintintin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 07:46 PM   #5
iHateVolvoPeople
Board Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Midwest
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tintintin View Post
Could be. On my ZF4HP22L it is 4 + Lockup.
Im almost positive that’s not the same as an aw71.
iHateVolvoPeople is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 08:27 PM   #6
ZVOLV
<Master Tech>
 
ZVOLV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: California
Default

Your vehicle has antennae?
__________________
No Start Thread
ZVOLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 09:35 PM   #7
lummert
Board Member
 
lummert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Portland IN
Default

30 year old 760 with 302,000 miles you'll bee doing good to keep ahead of stuff breaking down.
__________________
Trying to understand stupid people is like trying to pick up a turd by the clean end.
lummert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 09:37 PM   #8
lummert
Board Member
 
lummert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Portland IN
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickvolvo746 View Post
1990 760 turbo---302,000 miles, still pretty good though.

Just another noob trying to make his antique go vroom.

Below, I have an outline for my not so master plan for what I want and need to do to my car to ensure it has a healthy life. I am particularly interested in what yall will think of the turbo and transmission idea I have at the bottom, but any input here would be greatly appreciated (and I already look at every post I can for guidance, I am simply trying to be less of a noob and maybe some of you learned folk out there enjoy schooling kids like me). Tell me what to do, what not to do, tell me im an idiot, show me your ways!

In college right now so there is no chance of working on the car until may, so I want a nice plan of action.

WHATS ALREADY BEEN DONE (very short list, its embarrassing)
-Boost gauge
-calipers, pads, rotors in the front
-stupid but nice wood panel for the spare wheel hatch
-swapped out powered leather seats with manual cloth
-fixed radio antennae
-fixed seat belts
-


What I plan to DEFINITELY do and probably should do over the summer:
-new spark plugs (good ones)
-as many new hoses as possible
-new air filter, get rid of the box and put on a cone
-blow off valve for cool noises (already got one from my other car so no money spending here)
-coolant flush
-ATF flush
-sea foam the entire thing and then do oil change (will take off cat for this, I hear they can get clogged with carbon, also I wanna hear it scream)
-also oil cooler flush
-reinstate my manual boost controller (ran into some problems where the boost would cut, likely due to bad hose, not enough fuel, not really sure, like I said, noob
-install wideband sensor
-brake fluid change
-pads+rotors
-blower fan for AC/HEAT
-check turbo for signs of wear/play (relatively new turbo stock turbo, around 20-30k on it now)
-find and fix oil leak or leaks

What I plan to MAYBE do, but perhaps should not bother with:
-fix sun roof (currently gets stuck), possibly make it manual crank?
-add a light bar or other LED lights somewhere discrete to add visibility at night
-upgrade turbo (I already have a mitsu 16g that is on my 740 (it might need a rebuild, we shall see), along with the manifold and a downpipe, but no exhaust system yet. Im in Jersey so I dont need a CAT and honestly I might just straight pipe it for a little while)
-take out fuel pump and check it out, maybe clean it if need be
-new injectors
-switch to better tranny (I have one on my 740 that was from an NA car (sorry, no clue what model it is, but it is auto and has the whole 4 gears and then that extra "gear" for lower rpms on the highway. it is also pinned so as to shift faster and save the clutches. I will probably take the pin out of first gear cause theres no point in it clunking the way it does from park or neutral, but its nice for the rest of the gears.
-new tune (much more research needs to be done for this one, I have zero clue how the ECU works its magic, if you know a good thread that will teach me please refer me


If you read all this, youre a baller, I love you, and you also have almost as much time to kill as I do so high five mate! (why is my winter break so long)

Cheers!
I'm thinking you're not going to do any better than that stock air box. The oil cooler is supposed to be drained at every oil change, you'll find fitting disconnects are provided for this under the front of engine. Straight pipe? My 88 765 Turbo wails at interstate speeds with 2.5 inch exhaust with 18 inch long oval shaped straight through muffler at the rear. With 14 inch rear muffler the exhaust was deafening. I'm an old guy, so I'd guess the exhaust is even louder than I realize. Don't need catalysts on a car this old in my area either.

Last edited by lummert; 01-12-2019 at 09:48 PM..
lummert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 09:47 PM   #9
TestPoint
Board Member
 
TestPoint's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Ellijay
Default

If the cone shaped oil saturated air filters did what they say they do manufacturers would have converted long ago.

My son bought a new F150 and spent a couple hundred converting to 'cold air cone oil saturated filter'. Results were 0.0% minus what he spent.

I got to say TYS.
__________________


1982 Volvo 245 with a Ford 302 V8

Ford V8 Conversion Manual -
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=250257

Bertone Restoration - http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=256460
TestPoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 09:53 PM   #10
Redwood Chair
K-jet For Life
 
Redwood Chair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: - Stock PSI Or Bust -
Default

Cut dem springs and begin your journey.
__________________
Raise The Lowered


Image hosted by servimg.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiperfauto View Post
Folks on here don't know a good deal when they see it.
how psi stock cna support?

Redwood Chair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 01:39 AM   #11
nickvolvo746
Board Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: New Jersey
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tintintin View Post
I believe that is called "Overdrive."
yo I promise its something else, I forget what its called, my buddy explained it to me. I think someone below mentioned it, something about "lock up". He said it was from an NA car, but it will go through all 4 gears and then it drops into a 5th stage. so when I press the overdrive button, sometimes you can essentially hear it shift twice, rather than just once.
nickvolvo746 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 01:40 AM   #12
nickvolvo746
Board Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: New Jersey
Default

my kinda guy, you commented on the other thread I posted, I realized after posting this one that I did it in the wrong section but since more people have been commenting here I just let it roll. I probably wont cut the springs though, had that in my other 700 series and it kinda sucked
nickvolvo746 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 01:44 AM   #13
nickvolvo746
Board Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: New Jersey
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TestPoint View Post
If the cone shaped oil saturated air filters did what they say they do manufacturers would have converted long ago.

My son bought a new F150 and spent a couple hundred converting to 'cold air cone oil saturated filter'. Results were 0.0% minus what he spent.

I got to say TYS.
thanks for the input there, ill probably leave it as is
nickvolvo746 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 01:46 AM   #14
nickvolvo746
Board Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: New Jersey
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lummert View Post
I'm thinking you're not going to do any better than that stock air box. The oil cooler is supposed to be drained at every oil change, you'll find fitting disconnects are provided for this under the front of engine. Straight pipe? My 88 765 Turbo wails at interstate speeds with 2.5 inch exhaust with 18 inch long oval shaped straight through muffler at the rear. With 14 inch rear muffler the exhaust was deafening. I'm an old guy, so I'd guess the exhaust is even louder than I realize. Don't need catalysts on a car this old in my area either.
yeah I am pretty used to the noise from my 740 wagon cause it had a hood stack, it was honestly a blast to hear the turbo spooling up so audibly, but it definitely wasnt nice on longer trips if I had folks in the car. By myself is no trouble though. And thanks for the input on that airbox and oil cooler, I appreciate it!
nickvolvo746 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 09:48 AM   #15
iHateVolvoPeople
Board Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Midwest
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickvolvo746 View Post
yo I promise its something else, I forget what its called, my buddy explained it to me. I think someone below mentioned it, something about "lock up". He said it was from an NA car, but it will go through all 4 gears and then it drops into a 5th stage. so when I press the overdrive button, sometimes you can essentially hear it shift twice, rather than just once.
That is called a lock up torque converter. The transmission is an AW71L. L standing for lockup.
iHateVolvoPeople is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 01:11 PM   #16
lummert
Board Member
 
lummert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Portland IN
Default

From what I've read the AW71L needs to be in overdrive for lockup to engage. Pressing the overdrive button locks out overdrive. Locking out the overdrive is useful for towing or for driving in mountains.
lummert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 01:20 PM   #17
freevolvos
Board Member
 
freevolvos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: hillpoint
Default

Dammit lummert
freevolvos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 10:35 PM   #18
nickvolvo746
Board Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: New Jersey
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZVOLV View Post
Your vehicle has antennae?
Lol antenna yeah
nickvolvo746 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:21 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.