• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

940 Massive Oil Sludge Build Up

My home remedy is 1/2 quart ATF added to the crankcase for 400 miles before the next oil change.

IMHO,perhaps the maintenance intervals were, um, extended towards the last. Low grade, and low detergent oils will often cause this condition,as well as short tips that prevent the engine coming up to full operating temperature for long enough to dislodge any deposits. The only for sure cure I know is remove, clean out and reinstall, but I'd just do the top and bottom, use diesel oil, and a lot of oil filters; you may go a long time.;-):nod:

M1 has kept my wagon and the 850 with 300k on it as clean as what Ken posted a pic of earlier. Pretty damn impressive.

I do remember doing a cam swap years back on a 300k pennzoil motor in the BadVolvo, looked right on par with the OP's motor. Known service history of pennzoil every 3500 for the last 150k.

M1 has kept my wagon and the 850 with 300k on it as clean as what Ken posted a pic of earlier. Pretty damn impressive.

I do remember doing a cam swap years back on a 300k pennzoil motor in the BadVolvo, looked right on par with the OP's motor. Known service history of pennzoil every 3500 for the last 150k.

The only thing that would cause the ops concern is lack of maintenance

If that engine overheats all that stuff will drop into the pan and block the pickup screen.

IMHO,perhaps the maintenance intervals were, um, extended towards the last. Low grade, and low detergent oils will often cause this condition,as well as short tips that prevent the engine coming up to full operating temperature for long enough to dislodge any deposits. The only for sure cure I know is remove, clean out and reinstall, but I'd just do the top and bottom, use diesel oil, and a lot of oil filters; you may go a long time.;-):nod:

:nono:

The dealers used pennziol back in the day and it made those waxy deposits that you see in the OP's picture.

Currently half way through taking the head off to clean it properly without risking sticking deposits in the oil passages. Gonna take sump off once that is done and clean that.
Once that is done I'll just use engine flush with some semi synthetic oil and new filters untill the oil that comes out is clean enough and the filters aren't full of deposits.

btw, anyone here already took a sump out without removing engine? Mr Haynes says it do-able, though a pita... I'm doing all this in my driveway and have no engine hoist so no other option atm.

Thanks for the recommandations guys!

cleanflametrap has http://cleanflametrap.com/oilpan/

very clever way to lift the engine enough without a hoist

oilpan13.jpg

Back