• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Simon's 16v build!

You should be able to tell pretty easily if it's center or rear thrust, I have one of each and the early version has smaller weights and everything.

On an auto it's be ok I guess, but man the thought of center thrust and a 2000+lb pressure plate just makes me cringe....

the location of the thrust bearing has little to do with that.. either the crank is going to move or its not..

a lot of nissan motors are center thrust, I think the 4g63 is center thrust (but its been a LONG time since I've seen/taken one appart), in fact on closer examination the 4g63 uses a thrust bearing *identical* to the early b230's.

Pick something else to worry about.

Wait- did you just pick an engine design whose most infamous flaw is crank walk as an example of why the crank design is ok? :wtf:

That's like saying old ford pinto's have a good gas tank location...

4G63 guys would kill to have a setup like the late cranks.

I'm not worried about it. I also don't think Volvo went to all that effort to change it back for no reason.

To each his own.

yes, you are correct. the 1995-1999 guys would kill for something other than their own engines. Part of the reason why they swap in early motors so frequently.

In addition to nissan and mitsu, we'll include the LS1's in the list. I'm sure its a poor design and they wish they had old volvo tech for their engines too.

Yeah, Simon, that Sidewinder looks kick ass! I do have another Large Turbo. Its from a 6.5 Chev TurboDiesel. Its got a better waste gate setup. I should come out and show you some time.

Okay picked up some more parts for the 16v build today. I snagged a 93 NA squirter block for the block I'll use. I also picked up some ARP 16v head studs. I'm going to have to talk to Johnathan over at RSI before I decide which route to take with the rods and pistons, either the stock 2.5 rod length or possibly longer rods and the matching pistons. Pistons won't be in for a week or so anyway. Then I'll rent that plate deal thingy to bolt down on top of the block with the studs for boring it out and take the block and 2.5 penta crank and rods and pistons to my machinest and have him do the dirty work. Hopefully be all done by my merry christmas. So much for just droping it in and running that penta motor. Johnathan also says the car 16v heads flow a little better then the penta ones, but this penta one only has 30hours since it was rebuilt so I'll probably go with that anyway.

16varpstuds.jpg

93nasquirterblock.jpg

This baby has the squirters, I took the pan off at the yard after I pulled it and checked just to be certain. Car was a 244 made in 12th month of 92. It was sideswiped real hard on the drivers side, made it a little tough to pull the motor, but I managed.

Simon

This is going to be a nice project I think :) Keep us posted!

Yeah, Simon, that Sidewinder looks kick ass! I do have another Large Turbo. Its from a 6.5 Chev TurboDiesel. Its got a better waste gate setup. I should come out and show you some time.

You mean one of these? I'll have info on how it spools and performs on a B234F+T with RSI rods and pistons etc in two weeks or so (when I get ms tuned and it's broken in) if you're interested ;-). On the first test run it started to produce positive pressure below 3000 rpm.

dsc04122.jpg

Those who have been here know I know how to make a J pipe...

Now looky this. 2.5 steel penta stoker crank in the 93 squirter block. Fits like it's susposed to. I can't believe how clean everything in the penta motor is. Like new almost.

squirterblockwstrokermotor1.jpg

squirterblockwstrokermotor2.jpg

squirterblockwstrokermotor3.jpg

squirterblockwstrokermotor4.jpg

This here is the super clean penta block with the 93 squirter 2.3 crank in it.

What about putting the 16v penta pistons on the bigger 13mm rods and putting that all back together in the penta block with the 2.3 crank. What compression would that be?
16vpistons1.jpg

16vpistons2.jpg

16vpistons3.jpg

These 16v penta pistons look like new almost.

Simon

What? Somethings high, but it ain't going to be my compression in my 2.5L steel stoker cranked squirter block with the RSI rods and 16v turbo pistons.

Now what I have for you, harrybut, is the penta block with the 2.3 squirter cast crank and the squirter 13mm rods and the penta 16v 2.5L NA pistons. Now with the 2.5 crank the compression would be 9.5 I believe, but with the 2.3 crank, compression will be much lower. Also you won't have to worry about hitting the pistons as much either. Now maybe we could deck the sheet out of the block? Or just a big turbo to make up the loss of compression. I'll have it all together for you later today. I'm going to just use the bearings and rings that are on there as you don't want to buy new ones anyway...

Back